Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Since some others posted their "First" cars, I will post this beast that made its way through the kids in my family.

Bought it in 1996 for $1000 cash, it had 33000 original miles. I started driving it in 2001 when I turned 16 and drove it until 2003 when I got my E28 5 series. We sold it to a guy for like 750 bucks and it only had like 80,000 miles at that point. The custom sticker on the back window said beast lightning

1980 Pontiac Bonneville. Sooooo many good memories of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My very first car I got when I was 16. A 1980 Pontiac Bonneville. This thing was such a SLUG and I loved every second of it. It had been through my older brother, and a sister before I got it. It had a 4 bbl carb, and a 305 ci V8 (if memory serves me right on the displacement). The thing was massive, we got it for $1000 back in 1996 with ~30000 original miles. The crazy thing that I will always remember about this car? THE 25 GALLON GAS TANK THAT TOOK LESS THAN $30 TO FILL UP Oh memories :allears:

Current rides: my wife's 2005 Mazda 6i Sport (she owned before we started dating) next to my 2006 Mazdaspeed6 Sport. It is about a year old to me now, last year we traded in my 2005 Mazda6S Grand Touring for it. (thumbnailed for table breakage)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

Which ones which? i never knew that mazda 6 had such different body styles.. the red one looks way better (thats probably the 2006 speed6)

You guessed right, the red one is the Speed6. The easiest way to spot a Speed over a naturally aspirated is the hood. The Speed has a bulge on the hood to accommodate a TMIC. The front fascia is different, the rear bumper is different, there are no bump strips down the sides of the doors, there are door sills that flare out on the bottom, they have bigger brakes, and the wheel arches are a little flared. My wife's car is a standard body with a spoiler, the GT has an "aero" package with different front and rear bumpers, side sills, and a different grill. They usually have different headlights with fog lights built in too (The speed6 has adjustable HIDs).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

_firehawk posted:

If it wasn't for the G8, I would have seriously looked at a Speed6, they look fantastic.
Thanks! It seriously has some of the best lines on a car. I mean, a standard 6 with the aero package looks great. The speed is basically just the hotter, younger sister :quagmire:

Rhyno posted:

I love my Speed6 going on 7 months now. The double takes when I pass a standard 6 are always nice.

:circlefap: Tasty. The best double takes are when you go by them and spool the turbo a little bit. There also seems to be an unspoken club, at least where I live with fellow MS6 owners. Usually a head nod, or something that acknowledges one another. It is cool.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Nidhhogg posted:

18k miles and I already need to start looking at new tires. :doh:
unnnnggh. I want your wheels bolted to my speed6. They may be the best factory optioned wheel ever. They're insanely expensive even sold as take offs. Do the automotive future a favor and never part them from your car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Thehit posted:

Entered the one car show per year I normally get peer pressured into entering.

Ignore the QR-code thing - it was part of the club display and came off straight after.

And then went racing the day after so it could get dirty again.

Absolutely stunning. The colors you used show off the lines of the car perfectly.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Blooot posted:

I haven't changed poo poo on this car in years, but I did finally manage to shoot it under a blooming cherry blossom tree this week.

Here's an interior pic to keep it in the spirit of the times.

This is borderline erotic. I would just about die if I ever got my hands on one of these. Great car!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

shoeish posted:

I love speedometer + acceleration videos, so I made my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHleUeEYRE
The fact that you're giggling makes me happy that people are buying this car and not pussyfooting about and enjoying the car. Good for you! It is hard not to envy that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Dracon Wolf posted:

Great car. My wife and I own one (her car mainly), but I love driving the drat thing. Ours is only the 4cyl but christ, if that thing isn't fun to drive. I never knew a front wheel drive car could handle so well.
We're a Mazda family ourselves. I had an '05 6S GT, she had a 6i sport. Hers drove far better than the heavy V6 model, but mine had a lot more power. We traded in mine a year and a half ago for a '06 Speed6 sport, the thing drives awesome, is plenty fast for me, and drives great in the Utah climate. Ride is a bit stiff, but I don't mind it for the handling. :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

economic haircut posted:

Wrapped in Matte White and Fake CF. Looks AWESOME!

Haters are bound to hate, but this does look awesome and will make it even more of a head-turner. Nicely done

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

It's where the apex seal used to be.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

Dog loves the sunroof

Beautiful ride, and if this were my dog I would make this my Facebook profile pic and never change it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Someone please make a gif of Comrade Flynn's noble zipping out of the frame with either 'meatpimps gonna meat pimp' or 'see ya later, shitlords!'
Your car is awesome in every way, and the custom plate totally makes it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Well...that's one way to satiate your craving for boost. Absolutely love the exterior color/wheel option you're using. Do you miss anything about the 370?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Diocletian posted:

The presence it exuded. That thing just screamed SPORTS CAR(it was yellow too), also the sound when it was modded was amazing. The wheels and brakes as well but that's about it. Ok kicking the back end out on turns are nice too.

After I have my mods on I will enjoy the car even more. I got a useable trunk, rear seats and leather/suede Recaro's that are better than pretty much all "sport" seats I've had.
That's a pretty good list of stuff. I have what feels like an unnatural draw to the Z cars, particularly the Nismo 350 in any shade of color. It seems like an achievable 'dream' car too so I feel like I will one day own one. Can't argue with my current sled (speed6) though, bought it for the same reasons you bought the EVO. Four doors, usable back seat, trunk, awd for winter, etc.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Wow, some excellent cars posted here. :allears: Congrats on your 'adult' cars guys! The CTS-V and AMG are basically an eyegasm to look at.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Oooh that Datsun is magical. I think you've posted it before and elicited a reaction from me. It's so perfect :swoon: bless you for such a perfect automotive example of history at its finest!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Blooot posted:

Thanks! Here's some pics and content for those of you who don't read the track day and racing thread:
Holy :circlefap:! My wife and I are getting ready to build a house and it will have a 3 car garage and I've been wanting a project 510 for years. The Mrs. is on board too as she thinks they're 'cute'. It's a dream of mine to do. Do you have any threads with more info on your build? What's a good resource online for the 510 community?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They stopped doing coupes with the previous generation. Maybe it will return for the next, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Part of the appeal of the STI/Evo is that you can justify them to your wife as a baby hauler and then beat on them savagely.

Previous generation even had full on STI station wagons instead of the gimpy hatchback thing they have now.
Did you just publicly admit to beating your wife and baby savagely? :stonk: but seriously your car looks great. Having 4 doors, a trunk, and awd is great for baby hauling. My MS6 handles salt lake snow seasons great.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

You rang?

Yeah, the hood scoops would probably actually decrease cooling airflow, since the scoops would add air to a place that would hopefully get its air from the mass coming through the radiator. If you prevent that from working properly, the engine could theoretically not cool properly.
Obviously this person has never added 'speed holes' to his car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I really thought I was being trolled just now. Awesome ride, and from the looks of it you drive and enjoy it. Good for you :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

v- Someone's tempting fate. BIG TIME!

Particularly if you have read the MZR thread lately. I have seen things that can't be unseen.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

copperswallow posted:

What? Winter? Snow? what's that? it's 76*F here... :S

Sorry, one thing I know I'm not is a photographer.
Yeah, it goes zoom.

Oh hellz to the yes. Come hang out with us in the MZR thread! The RX wheels aren't too bad. I've told myself I'll one day have to find some idiot that has some RX8 R3 wheels. Forged, gun metal finish and delicious to look at on the speed6.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Call me crazy but I love the stock wheels.

Oh I don't think you're crazy, and think the stock wheels are the best (going to find some for winter tires next year) and haven't seen anything to persuade me otherwise except those R3 wheels.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That's awful. I was half expecting to see the top slashed with your seats taken. It could have been worse, but I'd still feel so sick. Ugh

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Dakotaboy88 posted:

For 18k you can get a fairly decent 03' or 04' with the factory forged and supercharged engine, 6 speed, and beefier IRS.
I'm assuming that was a Freudian slip? Regardless I like your ride! Ever since a previous boss had a stable of mustangs (2 SN95 Saleens and 08 Shelby GT500) I've been enamored with the mod 4.6, just boost the bejesus out of them and hang on!!!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CharlesM posted:

99, 01-04 Cobra have IRS.
Well color me embarrassed. :ohdear: forgive me AI mustang muscle shirt thread; for I have sinned out of ignorance.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That E30 is :circlefap: You might just be the coolest guy in AI. The last few pages have been solid, comrade' GT-R, that 911, the EVO, and now this?! AI is truly the irl cool dudes forum.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

the spyder posted:

1994 Mazda Rx-7 Touring with 99 parts. It's a blast to drive.

Literally the best street car Mazda has ever designed. Hard to think that design is well into legal drinking age. Thanks for the pics!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I hear Kermit the frog in my head telling me he is the boss.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That beetle bug with the roof rack is perfeeeection!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No offense but those might be the ugliest wheels I've ever seen. Why didn't you just get steelies for the winter?

In most instances these days steelies are either more expensive because of the increase in steel prices or not available in the right size/offset. You can get hideous alloys for $80/wheel in a lot of instances.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

You bought a brand new car to use as a cup holder? Brother you've gotta take care of that!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

If only there was some way to get someone, like maybe another bank or even a credit union, to loan you money with a lower APR without buying a new car.

Yes but that would only be considered automotive practicality which is not what this forum is for.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Always a looker when you post up that S2K. I could stare at it a long time. Whenever I see one I imagine what it would be like to own a turbo charged one :allears:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

thealphabetsez posted:

Oh GD! I love the 1M bumper on E9Xs, but hate thinking about the intake ducting. How did you go about it?

You know I never remembered seeing pics of your white M3 after it got the super detailing done. I just checked your post history in this thread and confirmed my suspicion. Stop bogartin the goods!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I agree with all of the above statements. I bought my M3 with two sets of super summer tires (Cooper RS3S and pirelli P Zeros) but found a full set of wheels with blizzaks that were 80% new for $450 on my local classifieds. It makes Utah winters my bitch.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

$600 exhaust? Also I don't know what is going on behind your rear license plate but I think my heart is telling me it's okay.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The coupes are so much better than the sedan at nearly everything unless you need 4 doors. They can even be had with a brembo brake option from the factory. Excellent looking car, and I feel what you're saying about the salt dust. Washed my black car Saturday and it was dusty before I got home :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

:stare: that isn't the Audi wagon is it?

Edit: so the RS2 is safe?