Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

ROFLBOT posted:

2x UZZ31 Soarers -

The daily...

Dear god, what is the american market version of this. I am going to assume some sort of Lexus? I have been looking for a neat, fast little/big daily driver so I can do more work on the current daily driver.

The daily driver being nothing too extravagant, and being rather bland, But I have watned one for so long, call it the red neck in me. I just love it, and have some big plans for it. Its going to go one of two ways. If the plenum gasket fix fixes the 3 quarts in 250 miles oil consumption, its getting a bigger lift, rust fix, and complete detail. If not, its getting a new worked over wild engine. I have a feeling the gasket fix wil work though. I hope so.

Picture from this summer. I have since cut the rather obnoxious tail pipes off under the bed. Edit: it fits in the garage, barely

and yes, it does see off road action, and is not a pavement queen. I will take it anywhere, anytime.

MidasAg fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

ynotony posted:

Except maybe into your tiny garage.

Actually, surprisingly, it clears on all 3 sides, l/r/top by 3 inches or so. I know if I have my sun roof up and back, it won't fit. And I got about 9 inches on front/back. Luckily the inside of my garage is bigger than the door, so i can get out once its in there. Now, the new place we're moving to Thursday theres no way I'm even trying to fit in there. The front end may fit for engine work, but otherwise, the garge is now exclusivly the wifes, and she loves that.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
This was some good stuff to hear, I was looking at Audi's with the 2.7T for when I move to Seattle (will be selling my truck before I go). I was really torn between a A6, S4, and an Allroad. The Allroad would be most practical, the S4 least practical, but most fun, and the A6 a good compromise between the two.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

metalhead posted:

My parents have an APR chipped A6 (318hp on 93) and it pulls like a goddamn freight train. I've never seen a 4000lb car move so fast. It doesn't handle like a S4, though (though a stiffer suspension will help)

meatpimp posted:

I had a 2001 allroad 2.7T manual and my dad had a 2001 S4, both APR chipped. My preference is the allroad. That motor is so strong that it really doesn't show the extra weight of the bigger car... and a car as big as the allroad shouldn't move like that!

And I really don;t need a sporty handle like its on rails sports car. I would much prefer some more room, and a more subdued look of an A6 or Allroad. I am really leaning towards the Allroad, as it would be vastly more practical for camping trips, or anything that would require hauling more than a backpack.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

pik-d posted:

some gay vw that got a bunch of poo poo done to it because the owner (me) reads vortex to much.

If that's considered gay, then well, never mind. But yes, I have to agree, that is a VERY Nice ride, and I would love to see more pictures. I would love to own somethign like that. Very tasteful, very nice.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

sadnessboner posted:

I can't help but wish they had proportioned the mustang like a sports car, rather than a family hauler. Being that tall really takes the edge off its agressiveness. Chevrolet and Chrysler seem to do the same with their ponycar revivals.

I have to agree here. I saw a new Challenger in person, and its like the Mustang, too tall. Especially in the front. The quarter panels have to be like 3' tall.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

law abiding rapist posted:

How much trouble would you be in for not having a front plate? Front plates on nice cars are oh so sad :smith:

Kind of a few days late, but I haven't had a front plate on my car in 2 years. I have the plate in the glove box, but never been pulled over for it. I pass by cops probably 2-3 times a week too. I do drive a Saturn Vue, so I don't stand out at all.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Well, there is no way in hell I can compare to Holdbrooks, but I just got my first ever new car, 2013 Dodge Dart. It's my commuter car for work/grad school, and my wife when she has to travel for Nursing Clinical, so it just needs to be comfortable, decent MPG, and have a warranty. It may not be AI-worthy, but I love it so far.

Sales-lady going over a few things with my wife

Sitting at work, the Porsche was a client's.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

NitroSpazzz posted:

My boss bought one as soon as they were available (think he pre-ordered) and he absolutely loves it for commuting and monthly road trips. Good little cars and I was impressed how huge the trunk is, especially if you fold down the rear seats. I think he's up to 30k+ with no issues at all.

I was surprised by the trunk size too. The trunk lid is so small, that you are not expecting much, then BAM, huge trunk. I'm coming from a 2003 Saab 9-3, and dimension wise, the cars are within 22" of each other. Trunk on the Dart is larger, and it gets better mileage. The only gripe I have, is I wish that the seat went just an inch or two lower. I might look into a custom bracket to lower it.

Otherwise, its a great little car. I am a little mad that they are making the 2.4 standard on the 2014 models, but, I needed a car when my Saab gave up the ghost, so I couldn't wait till next year.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Guru Yaekob posted:

I worked on the assembly line for that car and in the repair hole. Don't be surprised if this car falls apart like every other Chrysler. I'm still in contact with my friends on the assembly line and they are constantly being sent home early because to many cars are going into repair from workers not doing their jobs correctly. They hired a 3rd shift to produce this car and people got little to no training on how to do their jobs correctly. But hey there is a 1 in 3 chance I put the doors on your car.

Few things I like
- This thing feels like a race car when steering its so tight and responsive.
- For what it is the exhaust sounds niceee especially on the R/Ts
- The leather models are EXTREMELY comfortable
- I cant remember if it is all models but the passenger seat lifts up from where it meets the backrest to unveil a secret compartment

Few things I hate
- Shoddy build quality using cheap as hell parts because good suppliers couldn't keep up with demand, I've literally had trunk release cables not threaded through the correct bracket and they let it roll off the line that way because it will cost more for them to send it to repair.
- Sides of car are bland as hell
- I've crashed 3 of them, expect to die in anything over 15 mph.
- poo poo like this was done constantly

Well don't I feel so great about my purchase now. Oh well, glad I have a 5 year/100k warranty. I will say, after a week, and 400 miles, I enjoy it enough. Hopefully, since I JUST bought it, they worked out most of the issues. But, what are you going to do? I bought a cheap commuter car, that looks decent. I can't expect top level quality and such.

Also, what was so bad about the crashes? I saw it was a top IIHS pick, and mostly 5 star crash ratings. What was your experience?

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

MrChips posted:

When Dodge said they wanted the Italian roots of the Dart to be evident, I don't think that wanted them to this extent.

That is funny. But I think its more of the German roots of MB fighting off the Italian. Or some poo poo like that.

Guru Yaekob posted:

Well I used to work in repair so you drive cars and sometimes you have no idea whats wrong with them while your taking them to a station. One time I got in the car pressed the breaks to make sure there was pressure which you always do, and then started it up put it in drive and was just gonna let the transmission do its thing without touch the gas to go to the station welp I went to touch the breaks and guess what there were no breaks anymore I rolled into a toolbox and the car crumpled up like a tin can.

I'm not trying to poo poo on your parade at all, I like the car a lot and I'm sure every plant has these issues, but knowing the things that went on in that plant I would be terrified to own one. Ignorance is bliss.

Don't worry, I got my umbrella.

I think that applies to almost anything though. It's like learning how food is made, or how hospitals are cleaned. Ignorance is bliss. Don't forget, its a mass produced thing. It's going to have some defects. As for crashes, it's still probably going to survive better than my old Geo Tracker would have, or a bicycle. And I do like the car a lot. The only grip I have is that the seat is too high. I wish it was about 2" lower. I might have to look into ways to accomplish this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Guru Yaekob posted:

I'm 6' 3" and the only way I found to get around the height of the seat is to lean the back rest further back. I think the higher end models it goes down lower but yeah on some models I had to adjust the back rest to fit comfortably.

I'm 6'1", mostly upper body, with short legs. I have the seat all the way back, and the seat reclined a bit. My ear is about even with the B-pillars. Oh well. Not a lot of cars are built for us bigger people. Hell, I even have a hard time getting comfortable in most trucks.