Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Guess the car:

My wagon with the two other Nissans in the family:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lilbeefer posted:

Are you in Australia or New Zealand?
I take it they are elegible for import under SEVS? Or was that a personal import?

Who did you import it through? Is this car based on the ATTESSA U13 Bluebird?

Sorry for that wall of questions :(

edit: actually don't worry, I just read the wiki article and noticed the SR20DET models only come in automatic.

Back to chasing a Caldina it is then.

I'm in New Zealand - the only restrictions on Japanese imports in that they must meet frontal impact standards (basically means 96+ with dual airbags). I believe some type of emission standards are being bought in at some point, but that's not finalised yet.

TBH I'd have got a Caldina regardless of transmission, but the Nissan was about 2/3rds the price.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Steve. posted:

Yeah, I was surprised too. When I picked the car up from being fixed the repairer told me it was on the verge of being written off. You're right, it doesn't look too bad but apparently it had ruined a fair bit of stuff. It did hit the roof at the rear and leave a dent, but I didn't notice that in time to get a photo. There was kangaroo juice all over the windscreen :gonk:

Out of curiosity: Did it set the airbags off?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Because I'm still waiting (4.5 weeks and counting) for my wagon back from being repaired after a not at fault crash I'll post a couple of my loan car:

Lots of fun, but it won't exactly be ideal for moving house this weekend :/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

As nice as it would be to get some tint back on my front windows, I can't help but think how dumb it would look to have my dark-as-poo poo back windows and only 50% front windows.

35% isn't very dark though - the factory fronts on my wagon are about 35%, the rears are much darker:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

thoran posted:

That looks like a R30 wagon - r30's are rockin - that'd have an injected L series engine I think, L28 EFI I think.

That one is the 1800cc four cylinder. Also the Mirage is an '86 not '89

Re HSVs - they've always been tacky as hell looking which I guess is part of their appeal. The equivalent SS Commodore has always been more subtle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Negromancer posted:

'86 really? I could be getting confused though cause my dad had late '80s mirage turbo when he lived in seattle still years ago.
The plates give it away, the black on silver went out around 87.

Anyway the old 80s fwd turbo hatches are a lot of fun - even the Honda City Turbo is a blast to drive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

frankenbeans posted:

If they sell these in your country, and you want a nutbar go-kart with climate control, I'd strongly recommend one.

Nice. We don't get the three door here, and ours don't have climate control :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The parents have gone to Europe for a couple of months so I've claimed the contents of their driveway as mine.

1991 Euno Roadster (the horribly overexposed wagon in the background is my 1999 Nissan Avenir GT4)

2007 Suzuki Swift Sport (more fun than you might think)

2002 Nissan Skyline 300GT

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

I love the look of the 156s, but heard horrible stories (at least with the Aussie delivered ones) of them falling apart after a while. Which is sad cos they sound great as well as looking great.

The selespeed (clutchless manual) seems to account for the majority of horrible failures in NZ cars. Followed by cambelt failures (which happen to be expensive and require frequent replacement). Great looking cars though, I've always wanted a manual V6 in green with tan leather (preferably in impossible to find wagon shape).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

We got the 2 door version of that as the Pontiac GTO. You can find them for around $10k which is a steal for a modern car with big V8 and 6 speed manual.

I never really saw the point of the Monaro - take a big heavy sedan that comfortably seats five and turn it into a big heavy coupe that can seat four but is a massive pain in the butt to get in/out of. Worse still the US models lost most of their boot space.

Of course GM did sell the next shape sedan in the USA, but then promptly killed badge it was sold under.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

tobu posted:

Around my area there are so many of these things running around most people call them Commonwhores. :v:

Also the Police drive them, so they're looked at extremely suspiciously by the general populace.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

You probably wouldn't have liked the last gen Camaro or Firebird then.

There wasn't a sedan to choose from in those cases

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Method Loser posted:

It takes that much to make a 3L V6 240hp? The NA VG30DEs in z32 300zxes were making like 230 from the factory, also 3l V6s. I just don't get why that engine is so great if it requires that much poo poo to match an older, same displacement/arrangement engine

Different type of car. Remember the VG30 in the Maxima was only 160 or 190hp (depending on E or DE).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mine first car was an '87 Mazda Familia with the big single point fuel injected B6. Killed it by hitting a steel crash barrier with both the front left and rear left hand corners - bent the poor thing like a banana :/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I really like how the facelift round-light front looks, much more unique than the Japanese one

Not my car but my younger brothers Jap import 96-spec for comparison

Daily driven and parked outside so its much, much less tidy (the cellphone pic hides it well)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

But why would Toyota get out of the speed-for-cheap market? Do 10-year-old Toyotas have a reputation-damaging ricer following the way Hondas do?

I don't ever think they were really in the 'speed for cheap' market though. The SW20 MR2 was as close as it got but wasn't cheap when new. The smaller n/a FWDs like the Levin/Trueno were generally a bit underwhelming next to equivalent Hondas and Mitsubishis. The Celica GT4 was nice but also a bit underwhelming next to Subarus and Mitsis (and also not cheap).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SiliconX posted:

Click here for the full 1280x857 image.

2006 Honda Civic SI. First new car I've ever owned, I baby it even if it is just a Civic. Almost 5 years old and just a touch over 40K kms.

I know it doesn't get much love round these parts but that is one good looking little car. We only ever got the run of the mill sedan here so I'm jealous.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mr.Peabody posted:

At least bump your tolerance up to 18".

I hardly think thats a conclusive test - they even mention the compound is different between the <=17 and 18+ tyres

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SiliconX posted:

Thanks! I actually wanted a sedan but in Canada for 2006, there was no Civic SI sedan like there was in the states, we had the Acura CSX Type S. A luxury Civic seemed kind of silly to me.

Figures they released the SI sedan here for 2007 :argh:

We didn't get the Si at all in that generation just the basic models (which funnily enough look like the CSX). There are a few grey imports Type Rs from Japan but they end up really overpriced.

Hello Spaceman posted:

French car goons represent. If I had to have a Pug with a V6 it'd be the 406 Coupé. We never got the wagon here. I like wagons :(

Plenty of wagons where I am but they almost always come with the auto transmission (which the french have never got round to figuring out). Most of the manuals are that horrible 1.9l diesel (the better HDI still commands quite a price premium).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

It's NOT a race car though - TS=Touring Sport, but it IS considerably faster than most cars you'll face in Europe. 210 HP for less than 1200 Kg is sufficient to launch it pretty fast. It also responds really well to a turbo (might be an upcoming project ;) )

Not trying to be a dick or anything but I think you'll find its actually close to 1400kg. Still not bad for its size though - its a real pity the 407 'wagon' lost much of its utility.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

A little research tells me that you're right, Mr. Dick. About 1375 Kg seems to be correct. Hmmm. I wonder where I got the 1200 from, since I usually don't pull numbers from my rear end. Anyway, I hope you understand that I'll have to kill you for being right now. Sorry, you seemed to be a nice chap.

Hey its bad enough you found a wagon with a manual transmission when I had to settle for an auto, can't handle it being the best part of 300kgs lighter than mine too :p

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

nerdly_dood posted:

My car can be seen a few pages back. It works, decent acceleration and torque, gets me around just fine and all - probably similar performance to your car since they've got the same size engine and (guessing about yours but) both are front wheel drive. Don't know about yours but my car gets about 20 MPG.

Depends on what engine you have in your Taurus really. That Pug is a little more powerful than the top spec Taurus but a lot more powerful than the basic SOHC model.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Third Man posted:

Lose the spoiler and would be all the gently caress over that thing, that is hot as hell.

It wouldn't be such an accurate replica without the spoiler.

I think it looks great with it anyway, that has to be the very best looking version of the very best looking car ever to have come out of Japan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

I am amazed by the number of Japanese grey import cars in NZ. There are barely any European or US brand cars here. And strange rebadging of vehicles, like Hino trucks rebadged as Fords...

You'll likely see a few Chev Cavaliers (badged as Toyotas) and possibly the occasional 300c but thats it.

Lots of euros around though, although more in the cities than out in the country.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

I saw a Toyota Cavalier during my first hour of being in NZ. I pissed myself laughing.

The sad thing about a lot of the Japanese grey imports I have seen so far in NZ is how beaten to the ground they look. There are some awesome looking cars here that have been given a hard time.

Also, did Nissan do a huge deal on Nissan Sunny sedans? I have seen heaps of them on the road. And Toyota Corolla station wagons.

Yep car maintenance is pretty much a foreign concept - until recently there were no restrictions at all around bringing grey imports into the country which resulted in cheaper cars being treated as disposable. Now that imports have to meet frontal impact an emission standards they're getting gradually more expensive but the mindset is going to take a long time to go away. Also street parking is extremely common in a lot of places which causes a lot of cars to look old before their time.

Grey import Sunnys, Pulsars, Wingroads and Corollas are often run by lower-tier rental companies as they're cheap and dead reliable but there are a huge number in private ownership too.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the sheer number of twin turbo Subaru Legacys on the roads. Although they are getting a little less common (they don't respond well to zero maintenance) they are still one of the most prevalent cars on the road.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just picked up this little beastie for my father:

Its a 2006 Fiesta ST with just 32,000kms, great little car and I immensely enjoyed the drive back (needless to say I went the very long way round)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just picked this up last night:

Its a Japanese import direct injection 3l with a five speed auto. I'm really enjoying it so far, it handles so much better than my old wagon and has plenty of power.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Podothehobbit posted:

And what retarded french car do you drive? If it's a small Renault or some equivalent consider me jealous!

I guess you'll be jealous then - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&userid=73477

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Heh I thought the Swift Sport (my mothers car) is as slow as hell but had pretty good chassis feel. Thats compared to my fathers Fiesta ST which is considerably quicker but doesn't feel quite as good pushed really hard.

Guess its all a matter of perspective :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think it looks good. Then I've always liked that shape Saber (or whatever the equivalent Acura was called)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Isn't that an Inspire if we're getting all JDM?

You're probably right - tbh I'm not even sure what the difference is.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Minor cosmetic trim e.g the Saber had clear rear turn signals and the Inspire had amber, or some poo poo like that. They were sold through different Honda dealership networks in Japan, hence the 2 model names. Otherwise they are exactly the same car with the same chassis code rolling off the same production line(in Ohio) .

You know what happens when the domestic big 3 control 90% of the domestic market? The Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealers all want their own versions of the cars that the Chevy/Olds/Cadillac dealers have. :downs:

Ah like the Rafaga/Ascot then.

Toyota was the most ridiculous at that with the Corolla/Sprinter and the Rav4 J/Rav4 L (couldn't even be bothered making up different names)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lurch posted:

It's not cool but here's my Corolla CSi Limited, 4AFE with a 5-speed. I bought it from my sister for $AU2000 and I'm taking it for my first autocross outing soon for the hell of it. Hopefully I won't embarrass myself too much.
My photography sucks but I was taking photos of pushbikes at the time, the car was an afterthought and I wanted the glare to hide the pink and purple stripe decal.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

The good thing about the Corolla is you could probably drive it 50,000kms then turn round and sell if for the same as you paid.

Unless the doors rust off of course which is all too common with the old ones.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Nice wheels! I like the wagon body style, I think it looks nice, especially considering that's an older model too. We didn't get the wagon in the states, sadly.

That's a 5-door hatch, the wagon is much longer at the back :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

nollij posted:

Nice car. I am pretty envious over here.

What generation Evo is that (are you in Europe); I do not recognize that front bumper/fog lights. Looks clean. How much horsepower does it put down? Everything looks fairly stock except some of the piping and that tubular header.

Looks like New Zealand to me :)

Car is an Evo 6

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ynotony posted:

I know I'm probably going to eat these words, but I still don't think the e46 and e39 look dated, and think they've got another couple years at least. Especially the face lifted ones. Even more so for the M-tech ones.

I don't even think the E36 looks dated - I mean you can tell its an older design but it still looks great.

Same goes for the E38 7 Series.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

VacaGrande posted:

That's a really good looking car but why would you ever need parking sensors on a Fiesta?

The car is in Europe - they're useful no matter how small the vehicle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kris_b posted:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10715596

That 300 remainder will be the brand new cars. Also there are certainly plenty of euro cars around, mostly in the cities, Auckland is certainly full of them. Plenty of them come via Japan too.

The article is talking specifically about second hand imports, the other 300 will mostly be from Singapore and Hong Kong (with a few from Australia and the UK).

New car stats here: http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/news/Pages/New-car-sales-statistics-July-2010.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

OneStopShop posted:

Bought this yesterday

77,000 km Silvia K's with SR20DET, no ABS or airbags, near stock. Just need to swap out the BOV for a proper recirc system.

Should be in Canada within a month, can't decide if I want to drive it from Vancouver to Winnipeg or if I should just ship it.

Looks great, those 350GT wheels really suit it.