Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Ka-Chow!

Ka-Chow!

Also, a broken Ninja 250 and a Chevy Malibu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

944 posted:

If a porsche isn't leaking something, it just means its empty.

That's being said....performance/handling: awesome. Performance/acceleration: nothing like getting beat by a minivan full of crotch fruit driven by a soccer mom.

Yeah, people expect these cars to be quick.

They are not.

My wife hassled me for a while after she handily beat my '87 924S in her '01 Malibu. But god drat everything else is perfect. There are definitely days I wish I hadn't gone from that to the 996. Most often these days coincide with the payments, but that's neither here nor there.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

944 posted:

Good thing there's a fix for that. One which I intend to apply:

Just imagine me giving you a high five right now. I've heard about a lot of people doing that swap but I never really looked into it and I'm wondering: what do people say it does to the handling?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I think there are a couple of different kits, here's one http://www.renegadehybrids.com/ that'll run you $2100.

As awesome as it is, the sound of an LS1 is just so awkward to hear coming out of a 944. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't sound "right".

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
So I bought a thing! It's an '82 911 SC, and it already has a special place in my heart (the part that's 8 years old).

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good buy! That's exactly what I want.

What needs to be done?

Well the tires are 13 years old, so that comes first, but aside from that nothing. It's kind of a peach. When the clutch eventually goes I'll rebuild the transmission--the synchros are worn but no difficulties shifting. Okay okay okay, the paint is rough in places, but I think a good polish may restore it some, and some chips and minor scrapes don't bother me too much.

Rhyno posted:

He needs to drive the loving poo poo out of it every chance he gets that's what needs done I tell you what.

Also this. I've goofed around a little but those tires really need replacing before I get too crazy.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

G-Mach posted:

I've been looking at 80s 911s and it looks like the prices for the non-turbo aren't to bad. I'd love to pick up a Carrera.
Yeah they're not too expensive right now, but maintenance is always going to be expensive. I got this one for $17.5k, which was about $500 higher than what the inspection tech said would be a great price and $500 lower than the seller's bottom dollar. I think good 3.2Ls from the late '80s are still $30k+.

MrChips posted:

Are you sure about this? Your car has the venerable 915 transaxle, which has never been a smooth, slick shifting box by any measure. Certainly not like the 87+ G50 cars, that's for sure.

Either way, that's a pretty awesome car you've got.
Like I said it's not that bad, but by the time the clutch needs to be replaced I think 2nd gear, at least, will need a new synchro. The nice thing is that the PO replaced all the shifter bushings so it's not wobbling all over like some of the SCs I drove.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Here's my silly old 911 pretending it's still a track car.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

joe944 posted:

That WRX spun a bearing at 33k. :( Had a few goodies, though. Full exhaust, intercooler, fuel pump.

The R needed a clutch pretty badly too. Had a JB1 and then a JB4 on it for >25k miles though.

The Zl1 of course is light years beyond in terms of performance capabilities. I can't stop driving it.

A spun bearing at 33k? For serious?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Oh man I don't want to know how much those units will cost.

Edit: I get the feeling a broken headlight is going to total out those cars ten years down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I did something stupid

I bought an Alfa Romeo

And I don't give a gently caress if this thing eventually blows up on me because I haven't smiled this much driving something in a very long time

2018 AWD Giulia Ti:

Hey don't worry! I'm at 35,000 miles on my 2017 Giulia RWD Ti Sport and it has been very robust. Only one "breakdown" so far (it still got home but I had to pull and replace a fuse) and that was only a starter relay for the stop/start. A bunch of software updates, sure, but Alfa decided to let you be cool and upload them yourself if you want.

Also good job getting the performance pack, you did the right thing.

Someone asked about traction control: No, the non Quadrafoglio models still don't have a good way to do it without also disabling ABS. Some tuners are trying to set it up but it does weird things with the drive mode selector. That's a bummer but they're getting closer I think, and if you're going to be a hoon it's not the end of the world to drop the ABS for a while.

I'm going to wait on the warranty period to expire then start playing a little bit with tunes. Going up to maybe 280whp doesn't cost much and shouldn't be too hard on the engine.