Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yes! I definitely would like to see what everyone here in AI drives since its so varied and interesting. I have 5 cars but this one is my favorite and I want to be buried in it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hermansen posted:

Ah man, I had a Scirocco before I moved to the states! Loved it! Same color even, didn't have a pirateflag painted on it though...

I get that reaction from everyone that actually knows what it is, usually former Rocco owners.

"Hey a Scirocco! I used to have one of those...*sigh*"

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your truck rules, hard. Thats my favorite body style for GM pickups.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Jefinabox posted:

my 1502

I just need to fork out for someone to fix the electrics and she's good to go!

Ill fix the electrics for you in trade for that Mini :ohdear:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Anti-Square posted:

crossposting from holiday haul thread. after driving a 1993 explorer with 195k miles on it for a year i bought myself this today to go along with my ford fleet (not pictured 73 bronco I'm restoring,i will try to get pics later.)

98 cobra, bone stock, 65k miles. DOHC 32v Goodness. I have been learning how to drive a stick all day. After the hour drive home where my dad drove, i drove around the neighborhood for an hour or so. The check engine light came on which im hoping was just from me stalling it and driving like a retard.Disconnected the battery and it went away and hasn't come back on yet, so i think I'm safe hopefully. Only mods planned are a short shifter and some new tires. I'm so excited to have my first "Performance" car :)

Get the Pro 5.0 shifter for it. Trust me.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

RealKyleH posted:

I love 4 eyes, white on black 85-86 are my favorite fox. I used to have one. Mine didnt work out, good luck with yours!

Me too, this used to be mine. I sold it to my dad so I still get to work on it without it costing me anything.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

PLaSMaN posted:

My 1987 Mullet-mobile, a pristine Tuned Port manual Iroc-Z. Much better than my 86 160hp autobucket. Lots of fun, lots of looks cause there are not that many left unrusted around here. Only had to change tires and fix a fan problem, even came with the original 305 (Still a 305).

Thats really nice. I had the same car but I had to change it to a 5 speed. It was so much fun to drive but other than the drivetrain mine was a shitter.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Found some pictures of my GTI I took over the summer. Ill take some better ones soon now that I figured out how to use my camera.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Anjow posted:

That's my least favourite model of Golf/Rabbit, but yours looks really nice.

Thanks. I didn't like them either until I got one (needed a daily and wanted a VR6). Its really been a good car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Contraband posted:

Wait, a Mk3 with missing foglights and rubstrips?! :haw:

The foglights are there and functional. I don't get the rubstrips part? :ohdear:

edit: You meant the thingy that goes between the blinker and foglight. It wont stay on so its in the trunk. Thanks for that lovely design, VW. I found long foglights to fix the problem but I have a couple other more important things to fix first.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 18, 2010

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Rudager posted:

Just picked up a 2006 Ford Falcon XR6

Quite nice to drive, it's got the 6 speed auto in it, was originally looking for a manual but that 6 speed auto is the poo poo.

I'm an Australian Bogan now though :(

drat, that is a great looking car, congrats!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One of my friends recently tried to convince me to install a manual transmission and twin turbochargers into my 1996 Ford Thunderbird. :psyduck:

Seems like a reasonable request.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sarthek posted:

Yeah, just the brand name for the auto they offered at that point in time. I think there was a degree of expectation-setting in its naming: you're sure as hell not going to be doing big-timey standing starts with that gearbox.

At some point in the future - this year, hopefully - I'm going to fit a later model AOD transmission to the car so that I can reap the benefits of an overdrive gear. First, though, it's getting some new suspension.

Haha, I had that same transmission in my 66 Galaxie. The cool thing about that trans is that you can start in second gear for better traction in the snow. Your not starting off in second, are you?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ayb posted:

This is my dad's 38 that I got to take out for a drive today.

It drove like a tank and sounds like one! No power steering, no power brakes but it sure gets a lot of looks.

Holy poo poo that is loving awesome. Is that a camshaft bumper?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The Anal Pirate posted:

Welp, the F-150 hit 320k mils, the ac went out, and the transmission started slipping this week. I could have had it fixed, but I spotted this 1500 on a lot on sale for 12k for Memorial Day weekend. It's an 05 with 88k miles on it and the vortec v-8 engine. I plan on switching from pulling a trailer to working out of a cap, hopefully that will save on MPGs and whatnot. Anything I should look for in particular on this type of truck?

The steering shaft will need an upgrade replacement if it hasn't been done yet and check the metal brake lines for rust. Great truck though, my buddy has the same year short bed 2wd 4.8.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Robpol86 posted:

I recently joined the wagon club myself.

Very nice. Ive been wanting one of these pretty hard. Black too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Robpol86 posted:

I am extremely happy with it, the diesel motor has plenty of power. It took me a while to get use to the clutch on it, I kept stalling it many times a day, even after driving stick since i was 18, but it was worth it.

Have you had a chance to check the fuel mileage yet? I had a 99 Beetle TDI with a bunch of go-fast parts and my foot to the floor all the time and couldn't get less than 39 with a best of 54 on the highway.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Robpol86 posted:

So far I've been getting around 34 with city driving. I read that the TDIs won't be getting their best mileage until after a few thousand miles, after the break-in period. I've been seeing others getting similar mileage to what you got on your beetle on tdiclub.com

Thats pretty good for a new engine and city driving. Its very true that once the engine breaks in that the mileage will increase. Some people were seeing mileage increases up to 60k.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I like the beats of her music, I have her cd in instrumental form.

Still in the closet I see.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

Did an irresponsible thing and got a toy over the weekend. Gonna be a project for sure.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's missing some stuff....

But I've got some things that look like they're about the right size for that hole.

This is outstanding! Your irresponsibility is forgiven.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mr. Toast posted:

I finally painted my car!

Very nice Mr. Toast!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got Timmy aka The Beast registered today. Oil hasn't been changed in years and it even has the original rust!

This truck runs loving awesome though. It sat all winter with the battery hooked up and still started right up in the spring on the old lovely gas that I drained out of all my landscaping equipment last year.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

lolwut posted:

Change your oil, rear end in a top hat!

I got the stuff to do it today. I wasn't the one neglecting it. I also ordered new tie rod ends and a drag link (all Moog, nothing but the best) since it has about 6 inches of play in the wheel. The rear main seal kind of takes care of the oil changes anyway, all I would really have to do is change the filter every once in a while. I also ordered some valve cover gaskets because they leak so much I don't want it to catch on fire. Timmy project thread coming soon. The truck has an enormous amount of problems yet still runs so mint and I love it. Old Dodges kick rear end.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Similar to my reaction, but I'll take it as a compliment.

It should be back later this week so I'l throw up some more pictures with the top up after that.

Actually, here's one with the top up from the day after I bought it.

Nice, Galaxies rule. Good choice on the wheels too. My first car was a 66 and thank god it was a 289 and not a big block like yours for a teenager.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Got the Galaxie back from the upholsterer today and finally have it titled and all that. Looks a hell of alot better with fabric on the frame.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

I love your car a lot. I might just say that every time you post about it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

wallaka posted:

I need a bigger garage.

Any more info on the Mercurys? Engine size and whatnot.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

happyscrappyheropup posted:

Nice shorts. :D

My '72 C10 Suburban.

Wow, that is very nice and I've never seen you post about it before. Ive got a 67 Fleetside I'm working on right now.

Just pulled it out of a greenhouse last year where it had sitting for 30 years.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

happyscrappyheropup posted:

Nice truck. Details?

I'm on the hunt right now for a 4wd Suburban or pickup. I prefer a '72, but any '67-72 will work. My C10 doesn't do well in the snow. I got stuck in this dusting and had to ride my ATV home. :lol:

Haha, thats fantastic! I'd be too scared to drive that nice truck in the snow, you definitely need a winter beater.

I had a thread for my truck but it looks like it just went into the archives. Its a 283 and a 3 on the tree. I pulled it out of the greenhouse, fixed the brakes and got it running. Blew the engine doing burnouts, found another 283 on craigslist from a guy I used to work with that has a 327/350hp cam in it. I forget the specs but its pretty wild in a 283. Now I've just been fixing it up enough to drive next summer. As of now all it really needs is the brakes bled and the rears replaced.

Here is what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_WYlsCZOPA

The engine (I stole the air cleaner from a Caprice with a 350)

e: This is where it sat:

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 12, 2011

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Haha, I have the exact same TV but they told me you're not supposed to lay a plasma down flat :ohdear:

Super nice truck though. I would love a 'Burban or Blazer of that vintage since you don't see them all that often. For now I'm going to drive mine how it looks since the patina is so nice and its genuine. I plan to paint the name of my business on the side and fade it like it had been there as long as the truck. I have a Locke reel mower from the 50s that will go in the back whenever anyone wants a mow with that mower. Fun and free advertising. I'll probably start another thread for it in the spring when I start working on it again and get it on the road.

e: fixed youre so sigtrap doesnt make fun of me.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 12, 2011

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Kind of reminds me of this dude's Bonanza I got to drive in a few times.

What a great name. I've never heard of that model before this.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That truck is straight-up classy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Lifted77ford posted:

My ride be a 1977 Ford F150 with a 429 4 inch lift on 35s:

Holy poo poo that's awesome. Whats the 429 out of and is there anything done to it?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

economic haircut posted:

Close, Northern Canada actually. Am I still cool? :canada:

No Pipeline money for me The Scientist. Although my income is derived partly from those sweet sweet oil monies. I figure an 7mpg car is just security.

That Tempo was hilariously mint. Literally showroom condition. Its amazing.

Please tell me its an AWD one, that would be most amazing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The roads in Florida are goddamn awesome, even the oldest, shittiest ones are still better than the ones up north.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Impulses rule and $600 is a great price. Nice find.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ziploc posted:

Is there a significance to these badges?

They lie significantly about the performance of the car.

Not hatin' Shaocaholica, just sayin

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

How are they incorrectly describing performance?

Uhhhh, aren't they are from the higher performance version of your car? Honest question cause that was my understanding.

e: different market, ignore me

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 9, 2011

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

_firehawk posted:

That big thing only has a V6? I would hate to merge from an interstate onramp.

I have a full size 97 with the V6 and its not too bad for power but it sounds like a big long beer fart getting on the highway.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got this finished up today. I don't need batteries to save gas :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

MiniFoo posted:

It just hit 77,000 miles yesterday :dance:

I love your new old car :swoon: