Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wrar posted:

EFI and boost :colbert:

LSx. More HP and less fuel than a big block.
Or really, anything that isn't carbureted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

If they keep going down this route they will be a premium brand.

Didn't Mazda try a premium brand once, ala Acura/Infiniti? I seem to recall that.

super quick edit:
Yep, Amati, but the Japanese economy downturned before they could actually get it launched.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amati_Cars

also edit: I would love those cooled seats.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wrar posted:

About 40ft of bullshit

But useful bullshit!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

It’s easy to see why the Ford 2.3 is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful engines ever made.

I bet that don’t mean *that* Ford 2.3.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

the engine bay on my truck contains ... an engine!

Deplorable lack of air conditioning.

Old pic of my Cutlass.

apparently during radiator replacement.

That's before I pulled the engine to replace a damage oil pan and ended up removing the entire front end and cleaning and/or painting literally everything from the firewall forward. Especially that rusty master cylinder.
I don't seem to have any others handy - everything else is on my file server at home. Mind you, it looks pretty sad and dusty just right now...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Adding AC is on my to-do list for sure!
Your fan shroud looks more useless than mine, did you have poo poo AC performance and/or overheating without one?

You'll note the comment about it being during radiator replacement...

The factory shroud was on there with that setup, and I eventually swapped back to the original clutched fan, too, until I installed dual electric fans from a '90s FWD GM.

edit: It ran about 210F with the clutched fan, as I recall. The e-fans will kick in at about 200-210, and off at 190, again, as I recall. It's been a while.

edit again: the GM OEM electric fans really suck:

Also, it's a 4-core rad. No overheating, and the AC worked fine. It was running ES-12A (propane blend) because that's what was available at the time. No clue if it's still in there, but I'll switch to R-152, aka air dusters, probably.
It's a POA system, so I can't change to anything radically different from R-12 without either replacing the POA with a cycling switch, retuning the POA valve pressures - which is apparently a thing you can do - or replacing the system entirely. I'm torn between keeping it original (for one thing, those old Harrison A-6 compressors are workhorses) and having a modern Denso-style compact system that doesn't require the massive "suitcase" on the firewall. I don't like replacing working stuff, especially *original* working stuff, but it's not and never will be a concours restoration. There are enough of those, so I'm not against putting in better stuff if it doesn't require hacking up the car, like the TH 200-4R OD transmission that's in it.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 30, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Oh right, I forgot they used POA valves on these.
I use r152a on all my r12 cars, even my 134a cars and it works great. I just make sure to flush the system and change to the correct oil.

Electric fans are ok, i'm just always worried about the crappy little alternators they put in old cars, can't keep up well at idle.

I've used R-152 in my Cherokee, my '90 RX-7, and my AE86. It works great in originally-R-12 cars, and fantastic in R-134a cars.
My Cutlass no longer has the crappy 30A externally-regulated original alternator. It's had a 12SI internally regulated alternator for a decade. Currently it has a Duralast 94A alternator specced for a mid-80s Suburban with HD electrical, as I recall. You can see it there in the picture, but from that angle it's hard if not impossible to identify the model of alternator. I have a 100A chromed alternator, but it's got a bad winding in the stator. The shop that built/sold it has a "lifetime" warranty, but they've serviced it twice without figuring out why it was blowing regulators, so I don't trust them any more. Not to mention that the only day their open past 5PM is the 4 hours they're open in Saturday morning. Alternators and Starters are all that they do...

fake edit: LOL, just checked and they're not even open Saturdays at all, now.

For the fans, I might upgrade to a pair out of a 2000s GM truck - they're a set already with a shroud and all, and definitely enough for V8 powah.

Steve French posted:

Freshly washed after finishing up rear suspension replacement, almost ready for parade on Tuesday. Needs a bit of transmission fluid and a fix for the saggy headliner.

On earlier engine bay talk, at least it’s pretty easy to work on

Less easy to work on and a bit dirty, but I think one of the better looking modern options

That Firebird is still boss, and yeah, at least you actually see the *engine* in the Audi.

Fornax Disaster posted:

One of the great things about vintage engine compartments is the bright colours they used to paint engines. This is my Cutlass -

'68?
Right? Mine '70's the same color. The copper/bronze they used on the Olds big blocks was neat, too. Orange on old Chevy, moving to "corporate" blue (less exciting, but still a color, as opposed to black or grey. Buick red, various blues (Pontiac's metallic blue was pretty good.) Chrysler oranges and blues? Ford blue.

TheFonz posted:

Adro has a new front bumper I've been eyeing. That said, I'm honestly having the stock kidneys grow on me.

Oh, that's a *lot* better. Still excessive, but dialed back to about a decade ago.
Your (aftermarket) grille helps the stock maw a bit. Mainly thevisible divider bar across the middle.

Voltage posted:

drat thats so much worse

You think so? I mean, I like that the kidneys are smaller, but the pucker forward is meh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

Yes, 68. I used VHT metallic gold engine paint. It’s too bright compared to the original colour which was more of a tan-gold, but I wanted to stick with something I could source locally rather than go through the hassle of getting paint shipped across the border.

Re: alternators. I replaced the 30 amp with an externally regulated 55 amp alternator. It was a bolt on replacement, completely original looking, cheap and probably good enough for anything I’ll be doing with that car.

Yeah, the VHT is too bright. I think that's what I used when I refreshed mine (it had to come mostly out to replace a punctured oil pan, so I pulled it entirely, cleaned, and painted it. I had a can of the correct color from a Olds retro place once upon a time, but that; was a long time ago, and I don't care enough to bother.

I have stereo gear, so I want MOAR POWAH out of the alternator. You'll note I'm using a later model aluminum alt bracket as well. I'm not terribly concerned about originality, but I don't want to hack it up, so some GM Lego and reversible additions are usually the order of the day. Those cooling fans use factory mounting points for the shroud, for example.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Awwwwwww, yeah.

...except I'm a little disappointed that the door handles, taillights, and other removable stuff wasn't removed. In my experience, that's where any flaking or lifting will start, because you can't get those areas truly clean or scuffed.

edit: I'm also more than a little retentive about that stuff.

Bilirubin posted:

:rip: my trusty 2007 Matrix. It got about $5k of hail damage shortly after I got it, and over the years and 280k kms got rear ended in front of a cop (the people who hit me tried to say I backed into them but HE WAS HAVING NONE OF IT lol), requiring a new rear bumper, and in landlocked central Alberta someone backed a loving BOAT through the front fender. Two windshields. 5 sets of tires. A good car. Serpentine belt died on me while at highway speed, I didn't realized that the short belt squeaking meant PULL OVER AND SEE IF ANYTHING IS WRONG (was at the end of a 2 week road trip and fatigued) and killed the engine. I really wanted a few more years out of it, but the tilt steering lock was broke, and it leaked water after a wash or rain. Here is my last view of it :(

And the new car, a 2016 HR-V, with freshly installed new wheels and tires

I'm astounded that the serpentine belt broke, and every idiot light in the car *didn't* come on?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Oversized American Excess - the car.

I really don't want a to slam a fellow goon, but not only are those stupid huge and stupid expensive, everything about them is stupid, except maybe the engine, and that remains to be seen. They're the Ford Excursion of Jeeps, and represent everything wrong with American car manufacturers right now.
Twin-turbo straight six I can get behind, though. Too bad it's a Stellantis product.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Honestly, I'd go LS. 6.0 and then turbo/super as needed.
But I guess if you don't want to deal with fuel infection...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wrar posted:

I have a boosted 6.0 in a van and it's fantastic.

Legit Street Cars just Procharged their 12 passenger 6.0 van as a tow/cargo vehicle, and it looks like a lot of fun. 14 MPG on the highway, though. Guess that’s not bad for a giant brick with 600 HP or whatever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

opengl posted:

I'm confused how can you possibly pull that without a F550 with a 25,000lb towing capacity???

Dammit, beat me to it.

Chrisgt: good on ya for sticking with the EFI. Factory stuff is well sorted out. You should be fine. I wouldn’t be surprised if the truck returns better fuel economy despite the bigness of the block. And yeah, open manifolds are kinda loud when they’re right next to your head. :D

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

Just picked this up yesterday. I'll be posting a project thread once in get things going, but what I know is it's a 1966 Satellite with a 440 stroked to 512 putting out 696hp/630ft-lbs and a "racing transmission". Right now I'd like to turn it into something for the street but it needs a lot before I feel comfortable trying to start it or anything. When the PO died, he was in the process of tracking down an oil leak, the driveshaft isn't installed, it doesn't have spark plugs, and one of the valve covers is missing some hardware.

This is my first car from before 1985, first carbureted engine, first true project. There's a lot I don't know about the car but I have a couple hundred pages of documentation and receipts to go through to try to figure poo poo out.

meatpimp posted:

That is one hell of a loving project. Start a thread.

and get some oil in the cylinders and install spark plugs like now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

pididdle

Looks like both headlights are working to me, if that means what I think it means.
Why, yes, I'm old.

edit: I'm two for two on incredible page snipes today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Single Issue voter but for license plates.

It’s proposed to remove the requirement for front plates every year in the Texas legislature, but never makes it to the voters. Assholes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Infinotize posted:

I am in tx and although it's a front plate state it's basically lawless, you see cars everywhere that are 6 months plus out of inspection, coal rolling trucks everywhere despite emissions, cars mangled from collisions with no lights, people driving at night without lights, people running reds because they're impatient, saw a paper temp plate dated "JUNY 2023" the other day. There are cars everywhere with no front and clearly it doesn't rank.

Honestly I'm for fronts and actual enforcement, too bad if your car looks so cool, because people do so much reckless poo poo and hit and runs and whatnot it may actually help identify them. But I guess someone would have to actually give a poo poo first.

Also in Texas, can confirm.
The front plate for my AE86 is I. The windshield. They fairly recently changed the law to clarify that it needs to be at the foremost part of the vehicle, but no one cares. Did same on my ‘90 RX-7; until an officer pulled me over for it and gave me a warning right after they changed the law.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Everyone in my city drives like a proper maniac, so i’m pro front plate so there’s a higher chance of catching a hit n runner

I support this position, honestly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I got a front plate ticket while parked, and then without detaching the ticket, the parking enforcement printed another for my tint. Two in one envelope! They're really filling quotas on these mean LA streets.

I’m sorry: how did they measure the light transmission of your tint? Did they just “think” it was too dark, or were your windows down enough for them to get the meter on one?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Any tint on the windows at or in front of the driver seat is illegal here, so.. my own doing, but it was still dumb, and not even that dark!

How delightfully draconian.

davebo posted:

Some Fall colors even though it'll be back to 80 degrees this weekend.

Noice!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not actually a solid front axle, which is part of why the steering linkage looks/is so janky even from the factory. It's "Twin Traction Beam" or "Twin I Beam" and is well loved for being very durable while allowing a shitload of mostly-independent suspension travel, which makes it popular with people trying to go fast in the desert.

The steering geometry of TTB can be charitably described as "dogshit". That huge suspension travel also comes with huge changes in toe and bump steer.

And camber! *Lots* of camber change.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Psssst: indicator stalk on LHD is usually on the left.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dissss posted:

And on a RHD it could be on either side depending on brand and which market the car was built for.

That I knew from other posts in AI. Truly fascinating.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, I guess I could drive my AE86 into work a few days now, too (AC works, but leaks out fast).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Why is the grille prolapsed?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Love how absolutely ridiculous the fender aero is

Same, despite my grille comment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

I did a series of very silly things.

Before:

Now:

I'm on board.

Admiral Bosch posted:

post your own ex ride. this miserable bitch of a year wiped out my savings so i made the decision to try and recoup some of it before something went wrong with the car.

Aw.
You'll probably regret it later, but sometimes there's not another avenue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Honda BRZ continues doing its thing, wrapped up the nasa regional tt5 championship win this year

Sweet!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lookin' good!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

It’s me. I’m the poor. I found a little bimmer group when I arrived to work the other day.

Really shows off how stupid huge the grilles are now, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nope.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Is the blue thing the handle and then the clear piece clips on to it? That's really neat, I hate having to open my doors when the car is covered in snow to get my scraper out.

The blue thing if the cap for the DEF tank. Diesel - you can't have a diesel that just uses one liquid any more.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

I am fully embracing my middle age by not only buying a diesel wagon with automatic gearbox but being most delighted by all the thoughtful practical featured Skoda put on it:

- Umbrella in the door
- Ice scraper in the filler flap
- Load bay light that unplugs for use as a flashlight.
- Drinks holder textured to engage the shape of the bottom of water bottles so you can open them one-handed
- The little clip on the A-pillar for holding car park tickets/passes

I'm a fan of all that! Or would be if such things were available in the third world nation of Amerika.
Chevy trucks in the late '80s/early '90s had a neat trouble light under the hood that could be pulled out to get the light closer to where you needed it. Cabled, so you had a little winder to wind the cable back in, and incandescent, so hot and kind of meh light, but was a neat idea.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's a really weird-looking Audi TT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

It even has a dipstick!

I hate that this is even cause for celebration.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

First time this thing has been on the road in probably 16 years.

Status: it loving rips. It all feels amazing. I barely fit but the seat has room to be moved back a few inches if i can find a way to modify it. It feels absolutely tiny. You can't see the hood or trunk. When 'berta trucks tailgate you it feels like they're parked in the back seat.

Sweet!
Yeah, '80s economy cars are small. I can roll down the passenger window while belted in the driver's seat, and they feel like a soda can on wheels in terms of material between you and the bro-truck in the next lane.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

I did a thing

1956 Plymouth Belvedere i got from a friend. It wouldn’t start so he sold it to me for a steal so he could get a restored Corvair from a mutual friend.

He put a motorhome 440 and a torqueflite 3 speed in. The POx2 did a half cage and strengthened the frame I pulled apart the carb after getting it to the farm and it looks like some bad gas gunked it up.

Should be fun.

Neat!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Interesting - I don't think my SR-5 wraps to 4000 at 75, and it's had 4.10 rear gears from an automatic car swapped in (standard gearing for a manual is 3.909 IIRC.) I mean, my redline is 5K, I think (fake edit: nope, 6K!.) I actually don't recall what the cruising RPM is, though. It may be 4K and I just accept it, because that's what it is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

priznat posted:

Need to take some new pics but it needs a wash first!

Would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

I was making a joke about how I like their interior products the best. If someone wants to get angry at a car related company for being overtly conservative, Lucas is right there.

We also have a thread for that.