Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

According to my phone, i managed a 16.940 quarter mile getting onto the highway the other day with my pick-up, i would like to know if this is physically possible before i become proud of it.

Please show your work.

I wouldn't mind knowing it's blue coefficient as well, might come in handy although i'm not sure if you can determine that with a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

have you guys seriously never been near one in real life?

that's a subaru forrester behind it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

No.

We drive cars here ;)

Well then, let me compare it to a car to assist you.

honda accord sedan: 194.9l x 72.7w x 58.1h
gmc terrain: 185.3l x 72.8w x 66.3h

It's about the size of a modern honda accord.

edit: it's also interesting to note that it's rated at 22 city/32 highway in fwd i4 trim where the accord is 23/34. all this despite being heavier and far roomier.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 2, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, that's the gigantor US edition Accord. We don't get that here.

Ah, lighten up, I'm just yankin' your chain :)

I will NOT lighten up, this is SERIOUS BUSINESS. :argh:

Euro accord sedan is 186.1 x 72.4 x 56.7 so almost exactly the same size as the terrrain, just 10" shorter. The current class of "compact crossovers" are just station wagons for a nation that hates station wagons and loves SUVs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

They even sell both in some places.

The Euro Accord is the Acura TSX in the States (minus the crazy grille)

And the american accord is the honda inspire in japan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Started out looking like this a couple months ago

on the pretty side, spent a ton of hours sanding and buffing and polishing, got new hub caps and lugnut covers, fixed a bunch of spots in the paint, fixed the one cab fairing, took a heatgun/propane torch to the front fenders, used a headlight resto kit on the headlights and de-rusted/re-painted the frame/rear susp.

On the functional side, installed the headache rack, toolboxes, lifted the battery boxes and air tanks so they don't drag in the mud, lifted the fenders so i can get tire chains on, installed a PTO driven hydrualic system for the fluid pump in the large toolbox.

Not much left to do, just finishing pump plumbing, rear decking, some interior electronics, and getting rid of those god awful white mudlfaps. I'm gettin psyched to get it to work. Next pics of this thing, it'll be under a trailer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Posted my work truck earlier, here's my DD

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wav3form posted:

I believe "hellaflush" is a combination of perfect wheel offset and also being slammed but retaining driveability.

That would be "stanced out". hellaflush is far worse. swagrabbit is hellaflush

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cstine posted:

Amazing what happens when you hire the guy that did the design for Audi, huh?

and then sit him in front of pictures of more expensive cars and say "just do what they did" from the lexus IS window line to the accord coupe headlights to the M3 fender vents.

The optima is a very good looking car, probably the best looking car in it's price range, but giving Schreyer all the credit isn't really fair.

She's done and working!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aqualung posted:

:fap:

Wish we got those in Canada.

If we ever did, the hatch would be at a premium over the sedan, and the diesel would be at a premium over the gas. you'd have your choice between a 1-series M sedan, and a 118d hatch for the same price.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Only pegging out the speedometer? are you guys even trying?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I really have to stop going to auctions.

I was hoping the hood scoop was glued on. :negative: I'm going to pull it off anyways and patch the holes.

Genuine cow interior. Completely loaded. Power sunroof, power rear window, Heated real leather seats, factory subwoofer, all the good stuff.

And i finally own something that does more than 14mpg!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nice truck (too bad about the 'mods'). Still got your WRX?

yeah, probably going to be rebuilding it this summer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

relocated the scoop, if it's fake anyways, why pretend.

new head unit. Old one was jammed and had no aux. I think my SWI-PS is fried, as i can't program it. Looks like no steering wheel controls for a while :(.

Edit: meant to post this to the "what did you do to your ride today" thread, sorry.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 22, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faceless Clock posted:

New Mazda CX-5. Purchased it to replace my Focus. I've really enjoyed it so far.

Woah, 160mph speedometer, must be a sports car! :haw:

I like these things, it's just a shame you can't get the 6 speed stick in the awd model. They did for the mazdaspeed 6.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Only one way to find out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Old picture, i forgot how pretty she was before that moose punched her in the face.

And the rest of the fleet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

The moose then got up and walked away.

no, the moose then got run over by another truck and got smushed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I want one so bad. Doccers, you're going to have to let me test drive that thing one day, as my only option to purchase one is likely going to be sight unseen shipped from somewhere in europe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope you also bought a Kevlar vest, because you're going to be endlessly bombarded by pussy shrapnel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I want a Dart hatchback. TIA Dodge.

Wish granted

It will probably debut in detroit, if you wait a few more years you might even be able to get one with an alfa nose.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

Do you know where Lancia is going to be slotted in that picture?

Do you really want to know?

Here is the lancia grand voyager, aka chrysler town and country, aka dodge caravan.

and the lancia flavia, aka chrysler 200, aka chrysler sebring.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

That's why you tell the popo that someone also stole your bag of weed and you swear there were three rocks left in the ashtray when you parked. :waycool:

It's also important when filing the insurance claim to mention the theives made off with your driving flask, and your steering wheel ipad holder.

Just a lovely situation all around. I've never really locked my doors because i don't want theives smashing my window to find out there's nothing of value in it, but after joining the valuable seat club, i have to :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cyrezar posted:

I can't believe how expensive low mileage RS4's are still. Then again, Audi doesn't seem to have released a similar car since then. Same with low mileage E46 M3s. A quick eBay search showed low mileage 2006 E46 M3s selling at about the same price as low mileage 2008 V8 M3s.

Don't even bother looking in canada. 07 100k km RS4s are still 45 grand. The same car would be high 20s in the states.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And i think this is how it's gonna stay for the summer, apart from maybe some black headlights.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

So I'm planning a movie to Victoria from Calgary in the summer and I want to buy a ~$8-10k vehicle to haul all my stuff. Once that's done I might keep it around for a bit as a hauler-in-being. My original plan was to get a Dodge Caravan with the Sto'N'Go seats, higher mileage because it's not going to get driven that much other than the move. However because I am an awful Chrysler apologist I'm afraid that my personal biases may lead me to making poor lifestyle choices. :ohdear: My other most promising option is to get an F150, probably of the 2008 generation and again with high mileage (150k km +), with a cap, one of these trucks that gets driven up north every week or something. The pricing is similar. I know that everything on a truck, gas, tires, brakes, etc is going to be more expensive, and I think the van is going to have more practical storage space. On the other hand, there are *lots* of F150s around, I guess from corporate fleets and such, and I have a gut feeling that the F150 drivetrain is going to hold up better in the long run than the 4 speed auto FWD minivan drivetrain. I also think that the resale value, such as it is, is going to be a bit better on the truck than the minivan.

I was originally pretty much set but now after looking at truck prices I'm kind of wavering.

$10k would get you a drat nice f-150. mine was only $15k with 125k kms, and it's a king ranch. My last one was a base model extended cab with 108k, and was $7500. The Michener allen market report is down right now, so i can't really give you an exact idea of what to expect, but if you're just looking for a regular cab, you can get a 2010-2011 4x4 with options for probably 8 grand with 80k kms.

I've got 3.73s and the 4 speed auto in mine, so i'm lucky to see 15mpg anywhere, but an 08+ will have the 6 speed auto, and most trucks have the 3.55 or 3.31 and should be able to see 18-19mpg on the highway. the 2011 f-150 i rented and flogged out to vancouver averaged 20.5, but that was the 5 liter which is 2011+, and i don't think those are hitting the auctions in any real numbers yet. tires aren't much of an issue because everywhere you look people are trying to rid themselves of the factory 20" tires and wheels. $1k gets you a set of 20s with new rubber, $600 will get you just the rubber.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shiney.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got bored at an auction and bought a 200, 000km 1999 bmw 540i for a grand. Where do I plumb the nitrous into

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dear powershift,

Stop fuckin buying cars.

Sincerely, your wallet.

I'll have better pics in the morning, but yeah, she's a boat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some proper pics of what i bought in the last 2 weeks. Please note, i am not a photographer, or anything close.

1999 BMW 540i, 204,000kms. 4.4l v8, 5 speed steptronic auto, a couple other options. Paid 1k, spent 170 on MAF, 230 on 02 sensors, 50 on oilchange, 100 on brakes, ~700 on wheels and tires. Still to do: ~200 on thrust arms, 60 on aux fan resistor, 40 on outside air temp sensor, 100 on drivers window regulator.

1973 Lincoln Mark IV. 66,000 miles, 460ci v8, 3 speed auto, green shag carpet. Paid $2,250, still in shakedown mode but it does need the sunroof kajiggered with, and probably a new drivers side power window motor. it still has the original spare tire in the trunk, a rayon thread radial, There are a couple signs of a poorly done new paintjob, but overall it's cleaaaaaaaaaaan. The vinyl top has to be new, or it has to have been stored indoors all it's life because there is no UV damage or weathering on any of the plastic lights or vinyl roof. They just look brand new. all of the electronics work down to the power seats and steering wheel cruise control buttons.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A short truck parked beside me today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The loving engine is perfect. 750 bucks for a running driving 7.3 powerstroke.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The tranny light is flashing but it has at least first second and reverse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

The autoboxes in those are pretty poo poo. Fortunately plenty of places have figured out what's wrong with them and you can get a proper rebuild/built up trans for about $4k. And you could still make money on that truck if you were to flip it.

The transmission still has all the gears, but has a intermittent shudder in reverse. No engine codes, no trans codes. It was insured and registered to december 2013. Apart from the inital sale/registration, and most recent registration, the only carfax entry is a steering/suspension inspection at a brake shop 2 years/15,000kms ago. The alternator looks brand new, and one battery is marked oct/12. The oil is fresh and synthetic, the trans fluid doesn't smell burnt. It has 4 wheel disks but i think the front rotors are warped. The truck has an hour meter installed and it's at 5500 hours.

I can't figure out why this was sold as a non-runner.

Now to decide what the engine is going to go into....

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How much did you get it out the door for, if you don't mind me asking.

Here are some cars, they're scared of the snow.

Also, here's a loud video of the powerstroke starting up in sub-zero temperatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl2JdidR-Uc

$750, i'm over the drat moon

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really like the baseball glove leather on the TT. It's just so drat cool.

The leather is nice, but that stitching is goofy. I have the castano leather in my king ranch, but it's a bit faded. I'm tempted to dye it red, but the leather pod above the gauges and in the door cards would be stuck brown because it's a different material.

This is the chaparrel red.

Also, that kiwi leather is hot. Green is the best interior color

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holdbrooks posted:

I can think of a lot of cool whit we don't get here but Is there an American equivalent to this? Is there a sweet car that we get that's not available/illegal elsewhere?

A lot of american cars weren't official sold in a lot of places, but most countries have at least SOME sort of grey market system for modern cars, so even though mustangs weren't sold in the UK or Australia, you could still import one and drive it there.

Vehicles like the raptor were only ever sold in north america, but have still found their way around the world.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ford/f150/raptor-svt-2012-6-2-v8-top-spec/1953067
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/ford-f-150-svt-raptor-6-2-v8-super-cab-2013-sofort-magdeburg/188147168.html
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/FORD/F-150/700070743820131124001/index.html
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-F150-2013/SSE-AD-2512684/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love that color on cars. It looks almost like that light grey color bentley used on the Continental SS.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GramCracker posted:

Holy crap, it is an Accord! I just immediately saw Acura TSX.

It was sold as the acura TSX in north america. it's different from the american accord which is a fat blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You didn't need all that spare money clogging up your wallet anyways.