Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Accidentally posted this in Spyders personal thread about his awesome collection of rotaries, crossposting here. I may post a thread about this car (and my other vehicles which I have posted about a little in AI - an '04 Impreza rallycross car, a '07 4Runner I tow/offroad/haul kids with, and an '09 Impreza my brother is mostly driving and I'll eventually give the title to). We'll see how much I get into it!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Is this the AI rotary thread? I don't understand the AI thread scheme haha.

Anyway, I bought this little gem on Friday and drove it ~300 km home from its hometown:

A 1983 RX-7. It's an auto with no power steering, no A/C, no power windows and no power from the 12A, but goddamn is it a joy to drive. I like that the lack of fuel cut and no computer override on the trans means I can still send it to 8,000 RPM in first and second gears (yeah it's a lovely 3-speed, and the gearing sucks). It's on 14 year old tires, but they're in good shape and it feels solidly planted no matter how hard I pitch it into a corner. Great handling and very little body roll, I love it.

This thing is a bit of a unicorn up here in Canada, an all original, all-numbers-matching rust-free specimen. I bought it from a classic car collector who by his own admission doesn't care about Japanese cars and only bought it from the previous owner to preserve its heritage. The car has a bit of a fun story: it was bought in 1983 at the Wallaceburg Mazda dealership, driven for a year, traded in, then the second owner did the same and bought it, owned it for 18 months and traded it in, all at the same dealership. Cumulatively they put about 8,000 km on it. In 1986 it was bought by a school teacher from the dealer, and she owned it for 33 years. She was known as the "cool old lady teacher" in town that drove around the old Japanese sports car in the warm months. It has never once been winter driven (that's purportedly, but just by looking at it, that's easy to believe), and has obviously been driven gingerly and babied its whole life. When I bought it, it had just over 90,000 km on it!

I guess the town has an annual "yard-sale" market type thing where everyone participates and does their spring cleaning, and it's a sort of town tradition. Well, in 2019, this lady decided it was finally time to sell the old girl. She threw a "for sale" sign in the window and parked it outside her house along with her table. She didn't want to sell it, but approaching 70, she could barely turn the wheel without the power steering, and her kids didn't think she should be driving around a car without crumple zones, airbags, or much of anything in the way of safety equipment. The collector, also with a reputation about the town (owner of ~19 cars and dwindling when I met him), seen it and decided to buy it on the spot, not wanting to let some young punk come along and despoil the car. He had some dreams of restoring the car and possibly giving it to the Mazda dealership it was originally sold at, but covid came along not long after and in his advancing age, the collector decided it was time to downsize the collection.

So I came along and snapped it up. I've been trying to buy Miatas for the past couple months, but it's hard to get a good one for a fair price around here right now. When I seen the FB I knew I had to have it. I rushed down, took a closer look (yep, looks as amazing as it did in the photos), and offered him on the spot. $6,500 CAD which I was more than happy to pay, along with a safety cert so I had it on the road immediately. Here are a few more pics: https://imgur.com/a/U7p6P78

When I was shopping for my old Japanese sports car (wasn't sure of what I wanted until I decided I wanted a Miata), I had these ideas that I'd be buying a problem car and doing a bit of tuner poo poo to it, respray it myself if I needed to, etc. But after finding and buying this one, I feel something of a responsibility to keep it antique status, as close to factory as I can. It needs a new exhaust soon-ish, which is its only troubled component, and I'm thinking I'll replace it with a full Racing Beat engine-back stock-port system. I'll be getting new rubber, but not sure if I want to go with some legacy 13" ones to keep the stock wheels on or get some 15" ones to modernize it. I know for sure I'll be doing a preventative rebuild of the engine (and maybe, MAYBE a mild-medium street port) which as far as I know has never been rebuilt. At the same time I'd like to swap the auto to a manual for my own personal enjoyment, but I'll definitely be keeping that auto in case I ever want to restore it to pure factory. Aside from that, I've been thinking maybe replace the suspension (shocks, springs, bushings and sway bars) with the RB stock-ish kit, but not much otherwise. I'm keeping the lovely 12A, I love the novelty of the carb that needs to be choked in cold starts, I love the roll up windows, I love the tape deck, just all of the anachronisms, and I want to keep it that way.

One minor thing that I haven't been able to easily track down through google searches (and I haven't spent too much time under the hood yet) is that after driving, I'm noticing a very small amount of what looks like engine oil on the front of the hood, where it hinges forward. Like just a few drops holding to the lip of the front of the hood. Does this jump out as a common symptom of a failing component to any of you rotary guys? It's holding oil pressure, I haven't noticed a significant oil loss in the ~700 km I've put on it, nothing really feels wrong with the car. I am absolutely driving the poo poo out of it, and it's now under more stress than it's probably ever been in its life, so maybe I popped some old worn rubber seal somewhere is what I've been thinking, just haven't gone hunting for it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just a nice downtown picture of the Del Sol while we were in the bicycle shop

drat that Del Sol actually looks dope with those wheels. I almost bought a Del Sol but I couldn't convince myself they were cool enough. That's a great pic tho

e: what wheels are those?

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 29, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cruised down to a local rotary/old Mazda enthusiasts place today to get a last few pieces I need for my manual swap, did a little group shot of his newest stuff (mine is the gold RX-7). That 1200 has only 23k km! Love this guys collection, and it was a beautiful day to cruise with the top off.

e: sorry for huge phone pics

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 16, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Out Sunday driving today and stopped by my buddies to hang out. His dog posed very handsomely with the rex and I snapped a few pics :3:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

drat! Thanks for the offer, 4x110 is hard enough to find as it is let alone a nice set that was OEM, but I'm all the way in Ontario, Canada and I'm betting that the shipping would indeed be totally out to lunch. Not sure if you'd like to price it out but yeah theres probably someone closer that would be able to take them for a more sane price.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

stone soup posted:

someone followed my partner home to offer us this '92 740 wagon for a couple hundred bux because they'd seen us driving around the neighborhood in our other 740s.

lol gently caress you got me with those spoiler tags, forgot what thread I was in for a minute

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

This is a cornucopia composed almost entirely of things I don’t typically like, but in this instance I absolutely adore it. My compliments to the chef.

As an itty bitty Japanese sports car guy, I have the exact same confusing feelings

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sometimes non-car people see a light come on the dash and just decide gently caress it, it's not worth the trouble for another trip to the mechanic to get scammed. that's how i bought my second civic, it had apparently been "nothing but headaches" (surprising for a civic), and one more check engine light tipped the owner over the edge. i plugged in my obd tool, seen p0420, paid the guy 1k, grabbed a cheap O2 sensor from napa, and was on the road safetied all in the same day. owned that car for 3 years and only ever did oil changes and brakes and bought 1 set of 4 tires for it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

I’m getting my dumb evo back from the shop hopefully this week after boiling the brake fluid at my last track day. Adding more negative camber. Stupider tires. More expensive fluids. A colossal moron driving it. Gonna be good.

Over the season I swapped out the old stock front rotors for these two piece girodisc ones that are fantastic until the fluid gives up on you.

E: oh and this happened the day before I took it in which made me laugh

post the evo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

nerdrum posted:

I put my big brakes and stupid louvers on

drat i'm in love with this look

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

got out with a friend and experimented with some still and moving shots of my car since he's interested in coming out and taking pics at the next rally i'll be competing in. he learned a lot and got some good pics too

this last one is me thinking about how much i :love: my rx-7

after seeing some better pictures of my car, it's reinforcing my desire to get some new wheels and rubber for this thing to really tie it all together. those old mags look great but are so faded it's crazy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

My first car was an 83 GSL, I'm biased but the styling still really holds up.

I should look around and see how much they're going for now...

I think so too regarding the styling. I wouldn't call it "modern", but it definitely doesn't look dated like some of it's contemporaries.

On price - $10k CAD for a rust free, running and driving example, minimum, around here at least. Mine is for sale :wiggle: (because I want to start a rotary swapped 60s/70s era German car project entitled "Wankels Revenge")

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I'm in.
You WILL start a thread. That's not a request.

Lol, if this project ever materializes I definitely will. I posted a bit in the Porsche thread about it because I was put in contact with someone who has over a dozen 914's, I may use one of those if I can find one that isn't rotted to hell.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

davebo posted:

Mazdado About Nothing.

(Rotary and Juliet?)

:lmao:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

My friends got together to drive each other's cars and have an extended doggy playdate. Today my ride is this rare green NSX (tomorrow the red 993 coupe peeking out on the right)

oh my goodness my heart...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Took the E28 for groceries Sunday morning, wife grabbed a pretty good shot. Then went to a small car show fundraiser event later in the day. I've put around 300 miles on it in the last two weeks just cruising around on the weekend.

:swoon:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DropShadow posted:

Are you sure that’s the right badge on that beetle?

first time seeing a porsche 6 swapped beetle?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol, hell yeah

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

really hoping that the local club is going to be able to put on a snow rallycross so i can get out there with mine. we had a threat of snow at rally of the tall pines this year but it ended up thawing and giving us mostly dry ground all day and night

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:magemage:

(just kidding, i own too many imprezas. next year will probably pare it down to just the rally car)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wzm posted:

it feels like the returns on policing those cars have got to be tiny at this point

Yep, wish they'd put a time limit on stuff like this. The standards my 1st gen RX-7 had to pass in the '80s are laughable by todays standards, ditching the complete joke of emissions controls equipment (thermal reactor + air pump) isn't going to make a difference when every other car on the road today (including my other cars) are heavily equipped with catalytic converters.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my dad always used to tell me when i first started getting into cars - "a safety check ensures a car is safe just like a driver test ensures you're a capable driver", something like that, and always dripping with sarcasm

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

evo on a tarmac circuit - you love to see it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:hellyeah:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Audi has been putting out some good looking cars lately, especially the S-line. That's a good looking autobahn stormer.

Things I did not expect to say in 2022, dang that's a good looking new Caddy.

After a less than great experience with the 1979 Fiat we picked up on Thanksgiving 2020 my wife was looking to try again and with nice spring weather she really wanted a convertible. This little thing popped up on fb marketplace about a half hour from us, test drove it on the 20th and brought it home on the 22nd. 1985 VW Cabriolet with the little 1.8L and a 5-speed, nice cloth interior. Odometer, with broken gears of course, shows 79k miles but overall condition I'd guess it's in the 80-90k range or maybe 100k. Paint is in good shape, interior is really good other than some strange trim damage. Will be something to tinker with and she wants to learn basic auto maintenance with it. Runs good other that right when it starts, smells overly rich.

Grabbed this picture before we pulled out the seats to rug-doctor them and everything else. Once we get it back together and cleaned up I'll post some more pictures.

lol @ the dog, he makes that little cabrio look positively tiny. dope car

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's still cold and rainy but i can't wait any longer.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah finding wheels is dumb. STS-V (probably even more rare, haha) shares it though I think, otherwise they're truck hubs. :v:

try finding some for S1 and S2 rx-7s. 4x110 :negative:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I am not a smart man and therefore I did something very stupid...

Crappy, just drove it home from being delivered, pictures for now. 1997 Caterham 7 with a RaceLine built Zetec-R on ITBs. It makes glorious sounds, the clutch is very heavy, the brakes are un-assisted and mildly spooky, the transmission tunnel gets very warm and it's stupid quick. Needs some clean up and attention, probably a new battery as well.

:swoon:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I was lucky enough to find a parts GSL-SE and put all the suspension under my '79.
Currently putting the *rest* of the SE in it, now.

there is a guy around here who collects and strips 70s-80s mazdas and he has a bunch of gsl-se stuff. i've been meaning to do it but time + money

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Every single seal, gasket, belt, and hose on a car built in 2009 is going to need to be replaced. 2009 was 13 years ago. I have no idea why BaT bidders don't understand this.

me daily driving a car built in 1982 with a whole bunch of original rubber in it:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Be it for me to gate-keep who is allowed (and because I am a part of the problem, really) but it's really, really hard to not grit your teeth at posers running into cool vehicle zones and simply trying to buy 'cool'. What happened to Harleys and muscle cars is happening to everything now, something that's earned it's cool through a more or less natural process now is commoditized and speculated by all the people you don't want in your community whatever it is.
It's been said before but if you have something cool, think really long and hard before you part with it. Expect you'll never have 'it' ever again.

i thought about selling my S2 RX-7 last year, glad i didn't because they've already appreciated another 2k since i last looked. thought about selling to start a new project but now i'm thinking i'll just keep it a while

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Backed my car onto the beach just far enough to get a photo, with no plan if I got stuck. Did not get stuck. Did get the photo.

lol. owns

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

joat mon posted:

Amen, but I'll take a cool evening.

:swoon: what a beauty

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

agreed, i daily my '83 rx7 in the spring to fall, and want to die of boredom driving my 4runner in the winter. i should buy another subaru

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Denied. Looks good.

:agreed:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Every hose, belt, seal, and gasket on that car is 21 years old. You do not want that car. Especially for $30k what?

meaningless without context. nearly all the rubber and plastic on my '83 rx-7 is original. or at least since 1986, when the lady started keeping all maintenance receipts.

$29k is bonkers for that thing though

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:yeshaha:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i love those wheels, i'm so tired of my oem ones, but the bolt pattern is so rare

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I guess I'm a dinosaur as I still use CDs in my cars. If I were to hook up a device for music I'd definitely connect wired so as to avoid Bluetooth compression.

i use my cassette deck in my rx-7 but it has a bluetooth cassette in it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

TECHNOLOGY HAS GONE TOO FAR

:getin:

Panty Saluter posted:

does it have a battery? I can't imagine it gets power through the play head lol

yeah it has a battery that charges with micro-usb, has about 4-5 hours of life, plus a little on/off switch so it doesn't get constantly drained. i usually prefer to listen to the engine/exhaust anyway, but when i want to listen to music it's nice to have