Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

bought a truck.
Classified Ad for an '82 dodge Rampage came across my alerts and i basically ran to get it.

Good news is that she can run and has a clean title, though you had to press the gas and the brake to get her to start. If anyone knows what that's a symptom of i'd love to hear it.
She needs a total refresh for an interior (we just went and bought L body seats), vacuum/fuel lines, brake systems, floorpans, everything. But that's why we do this right ?

Current plan is to Drop and clean the tank, replace all the fuel lines, and then see how she runs on new gas. Once we got her running/idling stable, we're gonna replace all the brake lines/gear. Once she can go and stop, we'll focus on the nice to have things like an interior or emissions control

85 horsepower baby!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
it's my first project car- I think I did well for $1.2k. she needs new everything. Next step is dropping the tank and replacing every fuel line and gasket I can find. I'll post a thread once I've got real momentum, so far it's just a few hours a week

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
research says it's an L body (pre k car), based on the horizon/Omni platform. pretty funny they made a 'sport truck' using itty bitty fuel efficient parts.

first purchase I made was the OEM shop manuals. nothing can escape my grasp. nice illustrations and notes.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
appreciate it but i got two copies of the manuals already. Brother's coming up tomorrow to do some preliminary floorpan welding and shaping.
A PO cut out the paper thin floorpans and DIY'd it with 16 gauge steel. Won't rust through but they didn't finish and it needs some fine tuning. I can either post pics in here or in another thread, trying to follow etiquette.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
got my buddy to come up and weld floorpans (will share pics later) and take a look at what i got in my earlier posted '82 rampage. so far it semes like i'm replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one and wire that one to ignition, swapping the distributor with an HEI system, and replacing the pcv valve. lot of poo poo i'm not too knowledgable about yet but will probably need to do to minimize fail points.

PO delorted the automatic choke on the carb and installed an aftermarket manual choke. which was a really stupid move. Put in a spring that just kept the choke at full blast. again its stupid. Good thing i know where i can get a parts carb for same engine type.

Good tihng is that with welded floorpans I'll have an interior thats more inside than it is outside. I'll cover it with enamel on the inside, do body liner underneath, do that thermal/noise dampening silver matting stuff, and then throw down carpet. Still gotta figure out how to put in holes for seats/weld nuts for seat bolts but that's an order of magnitude easier to handle once you have an interior you can trust.

cars are fun to work on.