Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Totally stock Schwartz 120k mile 1991 318is grocery getter and part time commuter soon to be Tahoe road tripper. For some reason a PO chromed the wheels, which I hate.

My tarmac rally, hillclimb, trackday fun times EFI L18 powered 1972 510 offroading in Downieville, CA.

Getting down to bidnez on our way to 9th place over all at Targa Newfoundland 2007.

My latest addition a 1987 951. Stock but with awesome factory options (LSD, Sport Seats being the big 2), in great shape with 98,000 miles and a fresh repaint. The really cool thing is the history.

In 1987, taking euro-delivery in it, my family took a month long vacation with this car; I was 9, my brother 11. That trip was a great childhood memory. We visited lots of race tracks, drove really fast (255kph indicated) on the autobahn, and I got to see a whole lot of western Europe as a little kid.

Here I am in an awesome sweatsuit at a closed mountain pass (in May). Lots of alpine roads were driven. I still have my journal that I wrote from this trip, which is pretty funny to read now.

Since then my dad has kept it as a summer only car taking it to the occasional track day, until 2005 when he decided at the last minute to enter it in the Targa Newfoundland when my brother was headed there with a 240Z. A really nicely integrated cage was welded in (with host of removable bars), and the car was run really hard for 1500km, using up a transmission in the process.

Oh and some bodywork (hence the repaint).

Since then he tidied it up a bit and found its replacement for his 60th birthday this summer, an 07 GT3. With the new p-car on the way the 944 needed a home, and I offered to take her in.

My gf and I now switch up between this in the BMW for getting to work, and it is our weekend GT car. Thinking of doing some hillclimbing and Nevada open road racing in it next summer -- it has the power and aerodynamics that my 510 lacks for these events. It also came with a set of RA-1s on ultra rare Mag alloy 944 Turbo Cup wheels (16x8/16x9) that are taking up space in my apartment and aren't gonna get used up by themselves.

Since getting it in November I've painted the wheels and re-assembled the interior. Have a couple of small issues to take care of, but aside from that it has been awesome to own and drive so far.

Next up is sticking this on the hatch glass. Left over from our trip to Europe in 1987.

Blooot fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

joey deere posted:

No, they're broken. Like you said you can open them if you go 'open image in new tab' or whatever.

Sorry about that, thought that I could direct link through my Picasa account -- I guess not. Fixed now.

Blooot posted:

Totally stock Schwartz 120k mile 1991 318is grocery getter and part time commuter soon to be Tahoe road tripper. For some reason a PO chromed the wheels, which I hate.

My tarmac rally, hillclimb, trackday fun times EFI L18 powered 1972 510 offroading in Downieville, CA.

Getting down to bidnez on our way to 9th place over all at Targa Newfoundland 2007.

My latest addition a 1987 951. Stock but with awesome factory options (LSD, Sport Seats being the big 2), in great shape with 98,000 miles and a fresh repaint. The really cool thing is the history.

In 1987, taking euro-delivery in it, my family took a month long vacation with this car; I was 9, my brother 11. That trip was a great childhood memory. We visited lots of race tracks, drove really fast (255kph indicated) on the autobahn, and I got to see a whole lot of western Europe as a little kid.

Here I am in an awesome sweatsuit at a closed mountain pass (in May). Lots of alpine roads were driven. I still have my journal that I wrote from this trip, which is pretty funny to read now.

Since then my dad has kept it as a summer only car taking it to the occasional track day, until 2005 when he decided at the last minute to enter it in the Targa Newfoundland when my brother was headed there with a 240Z. A really nicely integrated cage was welded in (with host of removable bars), and the car was run really hard for 1500km, using up a transmission in the process.

Oh and some bodywork (hence the repaint).

Since then he tidied it up a bit and found its replacement for his 60th birthday this summer, an 07 GT3. With the new p-car on the way the 944 needed a home, and I offered to take her in.

My gf and I now switch up between this in the BMW for getting to work, and it is our weekend GT car. Thinking of doing some hillclimbing and Nevada open road racing in it next summer -- it has the power and aerodynamics that my 510 lacks for these events. It also came with a set of RA-1s on ultra rare Mag alloy 944 Turbo Cup wheels (16x8/16x9) that are taking up space in my apartment and aren't gonna get used up by themselves.

Since getting it in November I've painted the wheels and re-assembled the interior. Have a couple of small issues to take care of, but aside from that it has been awesome to own and drive so far.

Next up is sticking this on the hatch glass. Left over from our trip to Europe in 1987.

Blooot fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 17, 2008

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

A re-post, but today was the first time I've had all my cars outside together. I didn't spend much time positioning them so the BMW looks a little lonely.

(72 510, 87 951, 91 318is)

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Thanks, I just had some body and paint work done to it and just got some new 195/55-14s (more properly sized than the previous 195/60-14s), so it's looking better than it has in the past while.

The only time I owned a car with a non alphanumeric name (out of nine cars over the last 12 years) was a $280 Crown Victoria LTD. Coincidentally it was also the only non 4 cylinder car I've ever owned. Blood rained.

(sort of) Fun facts about my current stable:
-three 4 cylinder mills -- one 16V NA, one 8V NA, one 8V Turbo
-All RWD with LSD's
-The four door is the only two seater
-All have a second set of wheels and tires, which are the same style as the first but in a different finish
-One of them is almost always broken or in the shop

Blooot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 30, 2009

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Simkin posted:

Huh. I would have figured the 951 for being a two-seater as well. Do you track any of them (you've probably posted this before, but it's hard to keep count of who does/doesn't)?

It's a 2+2. Both it and the 510 are caged (and get tracked), but 510's cage is much much more substantial. The 944's cage is a really nicely integrated 6 point with removable diagonals, door bars and harness bar, so with those pulled the back seats can fit a human or two albeit uncomfortably and dangerously close to the cage. I've been meaning to install padding on the bars in the back for this reason.

The 944 broke the last time I took it to Thunderhill, and it is much more expensive to fix (and less fun to drive) than the 510 so it is mostly used as a grand tourer/commuter. I am taking it hillclimbing in Oregon in a couple weeks though as the 510's 120whp is not quite enough to make uphill racing exciting anymore.

Action photos!

510 @ Targa NFLD 2007

My dad driving the 951 at Targa in 2005

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Simkin: yeah, the story of the 944 was earlier in this very thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032817&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post353781307

hippynerd posted:

More information on this please. my car loves hills.

The event in particular: http://ssccmedford.org/HillClimbNews.aspx
Similar events: http://www.nhahillclimb.org/09Schedule.html

Thanks guys, your enthusiasm helps me deal with the reality of keeping these three cars running and on the road. The Porsche is a money pit ($5k into it so far this year, with more to come), the 510 has ridiculous levels of NVH, and the BMW is pretty boring and desperately needs attention from me in terms of maintenance and fixing little things. I often wonder what it would be like to just own one modern sports car that isn't always breaking, but then I remember that I basically can't get rid of the 510 or the 944. Too much time and money in the first, and the family heirloom aspect of the second -- I was told I wasn't allowed to sell it.

They do look awesome as a set though, which is a plus.

Blooot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 31, 2009

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Hiyme posted:

Here are my girlfriend's and I's Minis. Her '02 R50 on the left and my '07 R56 S on the right. Just got the S, and I'm loving it.

This is a great bit of evidence in my case against the Mk2 New Mini. They murdered the awesome silhouette with that hood.

Xeno posted:

My ride for the past fortnight:

Fact or fiction? Westerners are immune to road rash when they decide they know how to ride a motorcycle in a developing nation...

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Xeno posted:

I do have a fairly awesome video from the trip, 3 near death experiences in 3 minutes.

Congrats for making it out alive!

Since I paid for this (thanks http://www.motorsportlens.com/), I'm posting it whenever possible

CORKSCREW!

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

SmartPowders posted:

Couldn't remember and the search function doesn't work (at least not on my computer). I won't have the car much longer. Looks like it's going to a new home out west. Going to build something different :D

it's def hard to remember what all your 15 of your posts contained

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I haven't changed poo poo on this car in years, but I did finally manage to shoot it under a blooming cherry blossom tree this week.

Here's an interior pic to keep it in the spirit of the times.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Reichstag posted:

e: 1993 Chevy G20 LE with *blue plush interior* and a 5.7L V8.

Nice choice, needs bigger rimzz.

Yesterday I finally stepped into the new millennium. Previous newest car was 18 years older than this. Still under warranty Candy White 2010 Mk6 GTI 4-door w 20k miles -- 6 speed no DSG. It has all sorts of firsts for me, iPod integration, Blueteeth, heated seats, blinkers on the mirrors etc. Feels faster than my 951! First and only thing to do is to replace the Denvers with a different set of 17s -- I'm thinking B5 S4 Avuses.

Blooot fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 28, 2012

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Pulled my two cars out to do an updated family photo (the 951 is purposely left out)

Even small new cars are big -- the GTI is an inch longer and nearly nine inches wider than the Datsun and then +1000 lbs!

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oooh that Datsun is magical. I think you've posted it before and elicited a reaction from me. It's so perfect :swoon: bless you for such a perfect automotive example of history at its finest!

Thanks! Here's some pics and content for those of you who don't read the track day and racing thread:

Blooot posted:

If you get the chance to run Thunderhill in reverse, do it!

Here's a couple youtubes shot from the right rear quarter panel of my 510 last week during a Golden Gate Lotus Club track day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwffEciU1w&feature=g-upl -- chasing my friends E36 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b271albASSo&feature=g-upl -- catching and passing an Esprit on R-Compounds

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Do you have any threads with more info on your build? What's a good resource online for the 510 community?

Here's one that covers my nearly 10 years with the car. Some of the image links are broken, but all the words are there (with some cross posting from here).

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2177

The Realm is a great resource, and the people are great and generally helpful. There was also a paper newsletter called the Dime Quarterly that ran for years. It is now defunct, but all the issues are available via google docs here: http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/p/back-issues-ordering.html (oh hey, that's my car on the cover of the issue pictured)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I guess it's time for a new version of the 510 thread, Blooot. :)

Great little cars, though. If work ever moves me to, say, California I'm going to have one purchased before the plane lands.

Not enough of them here to warrant a thread (3 maybe?), and I really barely drive or work on mine and lack the desire to start an UF style blog, so it'd be archived before you know it. There was a Z car thread, but I think that's gone too.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Blooot, how is 510 ownership and can you suggest any good resources for more information?

It's on my list of possible project cars and beyond the basics I don't know a lot about the cars, nor have I ever actually owned a Datsun/Nissan.

Check the links above. As for ownership they are super easy to work on as they are simple like most vintage cars, but without being TOO old timey. When I go lapping I usually have the oldest car there, which fun. You always get the "I never should have sold mine" lines, that many old car owners get. Lots of mod potential, and they really do need mods to be fun and safe to drive at the limit.

IMO the prices now are pretty ridiculous when you can get a nicer 2002 for cheaper (2002s are two steps above in terms of quality of interior, if you care about this). I was trying to help a friend buy one -- he has about 10K and wants something that is suitable for driving as soon as it was purchased -- and we haven't found poo poo in that range for the past 8 months or so. Starting from a lower end car or picking up someone else project is probably the best way to go. Make sure all the exterior parts you want are there (especially bumpers & fenders) as these are $$ and NLA for the most part. Everything else is pretty available.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

djfooboo posted:

Gold wheels > Not Gold Wheels 98% of time.

Let's test that theory -- here's my 2010 GTI with some freshly gilded RPF1s.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Bovril Delight posted:

Are those 18"s?

No, they're 17x7.5 +48 with 225/45R17 Hankook RS-3s. I think I dropped around 8 lbs per corner VS the stock 17" Denvers.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Bovril Delight posted:

Looks great. I think the SBC color would look solid on my shark blue TDI.

Thanks! For SBC, like gold, you'd have to roll your own as these only come in silver in 5x112.

Edit: 4/20 -- you'll be bummed to hear that's not in the plans for this car. These wheels/tires are the first and last of the sick modz.

Blooot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 4, 2013

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Where does everyone always find this graffiti to park and take pictures in front of.

Across the street from my work -- Berwick Place, SF.

http://yelp.com/biz/berwick-place-murals-san-francisco-2

The Yelp pics even caught a glimpse of the flared out AE86 that used to live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

j.peeba posted:

Yeah, that's the guy. And yup, five speed and de dion.

Naturally, it's a great car on empty roads but somewhat surprisingly it is very enjoyable in the city as well since the reactions of pedestrians and other motorists for this car are so entertaining. Kids are always giving it a thumbs up or doing the "throttling a moped" wrist flick and tourists are snapping photos of it while waiting in the lights. :)

Awesome -- my father has a '91 "Super Sprint" with the de dion rear and a 1700cc Kent cross flow. I was recently back home and drove it for the first time in a couple of year and hilarious is the right word to describe the driving experience. Enjoy!