Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need no stinkin' hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

My first cool car that I got a little over two weeks ago. Here it is after its first wash at a friends place.

Welcome to the black WRX club. Have fun washing it once a week. Do yourself a favor and get a clear bra for the front bumper, rear bumper top surface, and the really god drat wide rocker panels that you will be constantly scraping your feet on when you get in and out of your car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

I was talking to a friend about clear bra since he has a black car as well. Is it something simple enough to do yourself or more suited for professionals?

Uhhhh maybe not the front bumper. There's a lot of complicated curvature going on there. The rear bumper top surface and rocker panels would be pretty straightforward though. Just take your time and don't forget the stuff is completely removable if you gently caress it up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the old wheels, myself. It's your car though, whatever helps you enjoy it more should be none of my concern.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Yeah, so I mean - there was obv's some operator error with my first time.

Filter is up top, inverted near the back of the supercharger.

A Fumoto Valve would suck just as much as a normal oil change procedure, in that I have to remove the dozen or so fasteners and pull the front belly pan. So at that point, I'm fine with a normal oil pan drain plug. I have a lift, but still. This was fairly fire and forget.

They have barbed versions for hoses. Zip tie some tubing to the belly pan and you're good to go if you can physically turn the valve.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Back when I used to have TE37SLs someone asked me if they were real. I said "yeah" not understanding he was asking me if they were replicas. After I found out about Rota and how they like to blow up on the track, I made a promise that I would never buy replicas.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is that actually true though? I've seen about as many legit wheels explode as I have copies...

Based on my basic Internet detectivery, it seems to be true for those models specifically. I can't speak for all replicas vs real.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sadi posted:

If your tracking a car, wheels have a service life. Personally I like how sweet wheels look but I'm not paying for the brand price. I'll probably buy the concave rota grids for my Miata because I'm not about to put $4k in Volks on a $2k car. If the grids fail early I'll just deal with the fallout.

If it helps I got mine under $2k used.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Needs more Ronal Teddy's.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Good work, your V8 M3 is finally cool AND good.

God that quote is from page 75

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How uncomfortable is it to drive? You don't break 'ring records with a comfortable car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gomba posted:

The dealer tried to pull a 10k markup but I waited it out. Ultimately I think they noticed that the marked up examples in the area are not moving.

Haha gently caress them. Glad you waited it out. I hope you expressed discontent with the price gouging. I bought my WRX the first month it was out and the dealers were pulling similar poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I will declare bankruptcy before I give a poo poo about gas mileage.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haha the manual.

RUGGERRUGGERRUGGERRUGGERRUGGER

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've totally smashed groceries being goaded to the front of a merge by some jerk in a Civic/Accord/TC/Maxima what have you.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't street race. Remember no one tries to kill themselves or other street racing, but it happens.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think either of those are legal combinations. I know amber is kosher, though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My annual justification for having a roof rack. I swear I'm not a bro, just look at it!

I actually use it pretty regularly and kind of want a trailer. But there is zero tow rating for this car anywhere in the world. Insurance don't look kind upon that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

I want to add a tow hitch to my MS3 and a roof rack would certainly help when I want to buy some lumber but don't want to rent a truck...

Is the rack a factory option for the WRX?

Thule aftermarket, however the factory option looks very similar.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fwiw I think that's a significant aesthetic improvement. I wish the wheels I lusted for we're anywhere even close to that cost.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a guy at my local autox who roasts brakes every single run. He comes off the course smoking and doesn't give a gently caress. The runs slicks on his ST.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Might as well treat that as comes with no wheels and a bad engine.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My brother had an 89 GXL. Shat its apex seals at 110k. YMMV

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 5' 8" and the upper window sill is directly in front on me. Who were the people these cars were designed for?

But at the same time it's pretty cool because you know the car wasn't practically designed to make it even better to drive for the price.

Since this is that thread. Here's mine.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 20, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Back when I was doing FSAE viability studies, I came across these guys.

http://www.drexler-motorsport.com.au/products.html

Probably not the same thing, but you never know.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.rx7world.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1-Year-unlimited-mile-warranty

Though I've heard there are clearance issues with the output shaft bring too high up. But I have seen running examples so it is possible.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'll rush to put these up.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 25, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just so you guys know I have a wheels thread active in AI. It's currently in winter hibernation but as the weather warms up I'd love to talk wheels with y'all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860108&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Besides the first generation, this is the best looking mustang

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a dream of putting a 'busa engine in something like that. Or very two stroke. Problem is they're such cool cars I'd feel bad tearing one apart.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two ways to go about it, lower it and widebody or raise it and go muddin'. Both would be a blast with a bike engine. You could safely do 150 with one and Jeep drivers would be so confused hearing a bike engine on the trails with the other.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Toe measurement using the ghetto method.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea it works, it's just not the current best practice, which is a laser system. Dont get me wrong, I've done it between laser alignments.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Come, weary traveler, and I will show you the way.

https://www.advanced-autosports.com/products/spec-miata-floor-drop

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Most folks in my circles consider the RPF1 to be a budget performance wheel. Its pretty much the bottom of the range.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Track bois with much more money than I. Make spending money look easy. And I guess expensive wheels are easy to justify when you burn $1000 of tire at a track in a day.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 30, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I used to have a set of the TE37SL. Not only were they the lightest wheel I've used, they're also the easiest to clean. One of those sponge gloves made short work of it. The Gramlights I have now are pretty easy too, but I have to use a wheel brush. If you love spending hours cleaning wheels, make sure to get BBS RS. I have a similar wheel on my Miata and doing any less than a pressure washer is a pain in the rear end.

I also want to say there's an ultralight wheel in the Y spoke category

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Facebook Rare Wheel Awareness. That's how I've gotten my last 3 sets of wheels, including TE37.

Also a plug for the thread about wheels I have in AI. We'd love to have you.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 30, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish aftermarket decks evolved some subtley. There are some with "classic" faces with chrome and dial knobs and stuff, but they're also no good stereos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would work but be crazy inefficient. See the Roadkill boost caboose.

For that set up you need two ignition systems, two cranks, two timing chains, two oiling systems, two cooling systems. Where as just having a bomber engine, which is definitely the scale were talking about now, eliminates all of those duplicates and a ton of induction piping.

Edit: An actual application of using engine to boost an engine that works is the Ducati V-One concept. It uses a v twin, deactivates one cylinder, turns it into a supercharger for the other cylinder. There was a net increase of power even though you were cutting your displacement in half.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 28, 2019