Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Pictures everyone has seen dozens of times, but nothing has changed.

2003 Mustang GT.

1998 BMW 328i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Oh, I guess I forgot my other ride. :3:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

not black enough posted:

He's waiting until you post your full instructional video.

*crashes into lamp post*

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

xopher.white posted:

No external mods, FRP 4.10 rear axle gears, 93 octane/shift tune. If the economy takes a complete poo poo, no mods for a long time. If it only takes kinda a dump, Eaton M112 blower in the spring.

I know someone who has an M112 they would probably let go of for a few hundred. He bought it for his SOHC Mustang because he is an idiot and didn't talk to me first.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

slaphappynickname posted:

2006 Pacifica Limited....$42,000 msrp 2 years ago...lost $130,000 in equity in 12 months...

Is your name Robert Willumstad?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

azerdude32 posted:

I'm at stage 2+

I hear the boss on stage 4 is a bitch but if you punch when he opens his mouth you can keep punching him when he drops his pants and you can knock him out every time in under a minute.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Juztin posted:

Back in the shop for a fuel system upgrade to returnless w/ big injectors for an eventual E85 tune.

You import guys convert to returnless systems to get more fuel? Weird.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

I've never even seen a returnless system except on the Grand Prix and I think the Focus. Returnless is s waste of time and overcomplicated needlessly. There are no drawbacks of a standard return-system, its pump requirements aren't crazy and all the mechanicals have 40 years of performance in tens of millions of cars and nearly every race vehicle running EFI. Hell, I've seen return based carb setups, now thats wacky but has its advantages.

edit: oh okay I guess the 350Z is returnless stock, changing to a return system is much better.

Right, but the dude was talking about converting to a returnless system, not from one, which is why I was confused.

kimbo305 posted:

On SVT Focuses the stock pump and returnless system would start being erratic by 40 lbs/min, which will only give you around 250whp. Past that everybody upgrades to returned.

Eh, with the Cobra tank (for Mustangs anyway), Fore fuel hat, bigger fuel line, and triple Ford GT pumps you can reliably support 1200hp. The problem with that setup is that the tank costs $800+ (if you're luck, $1100 is dealer price) and the rest of the kit costs $1200+. $2k+ for a fuel system that can support 1200hp or $1500 for a return fuel system that can support 2500+hp; the choice is pretty obvious but a lot of people like to keep the returnless system to be different.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

goldrush posted:

1974 Mercury Comet
302ci V8, 2bbl
3spd C4 auto
83,000 miles

This is the only car I've ever owned, got it when I was 17, so about 7 years now. It's my daily driver, and I have no plans for that to change. I recently spent a lot of money to have the transmission rebuilt (more than the car's worth, basically) because I'm really attached to this car.

Sorry I don't have a better photo. Took this way back in '02 when I first got it. It looks the same now though so it doesn't matter.

Ask around on the forums next time you have issues, I can hook you up with a dude that does built C4 transmissions for ~$600 shipped. There's no reason to blow a ton of money on repair poo poo with an old car, that's part of what makes them cool.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

DoomCenturion posted:

I don't have it yet, but I will by the beginning of next month (hopefully, as I have a deposit on it for when it arrives). I'm getting a 2010 Mustang GT in grabber blue, and it should look something like:

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/first-drive-2010-ford-mustang-gt/1218111/

I'm trying not to go nuts waiting, but its kinda hard when you're stuck driving lovely econobox rentals...
(I had to get the premium trim in order to get the electronics package and backup camera... I am a gadget nerd)

I'm jealous, but you really should have held out for another year or two. :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fortress TB posted:

He hopes to be driving it by summer... which is what he said last year :(
:smith:

Method Loser posted:

(cut from Z-car thread)

We really need to hit up Steele sometime.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sw0cb posted:

It was almost a mustang

You shut your whore mouth! :mad:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

SmartPowders posted:

98 Twin Turbo GTS
76's/TH400/510"
Lots of power

An automatic? Pfft, why not try a man's transmission?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

stangman posted:

Saved! Currently my daily driver, as it has been for the last 7 years or so.

Did you once follow me back to my hotel from a Mustang gathering because you thought we were going to get food?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

stangman posted:

Yep, clange on the corral.

Hahaha! I thought that was you. The car is looking tits, man. What all have you done to it?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

If it's what I think it is, it's sort of the reverse of the old hearing trumpets people used to use. Basically, it centers your hearing down to a very focused point so you can find out exactly where a noise is coming from.

Kinda. You take any solid object, like a broom handle, screw driver, or a piece of metal and place one end against a part you think a noise is coming from and the other end on your jawbone right next to your ear. This makes it extremely easy to pinpoint where a noise is coming from in a cramped and noisy place like an engine bay. I've used it to listen for whether or not a tapping sound was coming from the rockers or a fuel injector and it works great.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

I had the same car, and the front bumper was a loving pain in the rear end to find a replacement for. 4-Eyes for life!

You didn't look hard enough. The fox body cars have almost as many restoration parts available as the early Mustangs.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Evilpiggie posted:

I just bought this beauty mustang today.

97, dark green, with tiny V6, but for $3500 and 23,000 kilos on it, you can not go wrong. Pulled a report that showed it literally sat on a dealers lot until 2001. Not really sure how that ever happens.....

You paid $3500 for a 1997 v6 Mustang? Did you get any lube before that rear end raping?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

It is actually a pain to convert a 6 to an 8 much more so than a GT to a Cobra. Engine compartment is completely different along with the rear end.

Yeah, the engine and rear end are different, but how does that make it more difficult to convert? You still have to pull out the engine and put another one in its place. I guess you must be talking about having to change the suspension too?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Evilpiggie posted:

Paying 3500 for any car with that kind of mileage is deal. What's your beef?

Since you used kilometers instead of miles I'm going to assume you live in a country where that was a good deal. In America a 1997 v6 Mustang, regardless of miles, is worth $1500 tops.

Make sure to get the compression checked as the head gaskets like to pop in those cars. You should also check the intake manifold for cracks.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OneZeroSix posted:

I'm really happy that I was able to find a good car with such a low budget (about 3k); the guy had been getting calls about while I was checking it out and there was even a guy that tried to ninja it from me the morning I went to pick it up, drat thing looks brand new so I feel kinda lucky.

You paid $3k for a 2 door 1999 Explorer and fell for the old "someone else is coming over to get it" line? Really?

I paid $3500 for a 1994 Explorer 4x4 in 2002 that was in immaculate shape, in Alaska's inflated car market. Why on Earth would you pay so much for an SUV that loses the U part due to its 2 doors?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

DogDodger posted:

OK, the 0-60 timer is pretty neat.

Mister Duck posted:

This would cost me way too much money in tires and idiocy.

I wonder if you could use that as an excuse for getting pulled over? "Sorry, officer. I was just doing what the gauges told me to do!"

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Method Loser posted:

Here's how it sits now:

Didn't you just get this thing back from the shop? You just keep modding it so you don't have to take it out to Steele and get embarrassed, don't you?

OneZeroSix posted:

I don't get what you're trying to say here. The SUV was $1500 below KBB value, and it's in "immaculate" condition, so yeah I got a great loving deal on it. I didn't fall for the "someone else is coming over to get it" line either; I don't even know where you got that idea from. Someone else was literally there when I went to pick it up trying to pay cash for it, and I sat there while he told him I was there to pick it up.

I'm thoroughly confused by your comparison to Alaska's car market from 8 years ago, too. You're essentially saying you paid more than I did for the same vehicle almost a decade ago when 3.5k bought more than it does now. Typically I wouldn't address a "This guy is happy about something, let's poo poo on him" post but this one made zero sense, and hey, maybe I should have bought this car for 3k instead?

I wasn't trying to poo poo on your new vehicle, just how much you paid for it. An 11 year old base model Explorer isn't worth $3k. The Alaska comparison was to show that 8 years ago I purchased a higher end, more desirable, model of the same vehicle in a car market with an already inflated price for just over what you paid 8 years later.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings about your SUV.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

By the way I get 26 MPH on the express way easy! I average 18 unless I drive completely crazy.

26MPH?! That's insane! Driving those speeds on public roads will get you killed!

Any reason you Mopar guys don't go SCT over Diablo? SCT is so much nicer to tune with and has a bunch of parameters (for Mustangs, anyway) that the Diablo just doesn't have access to.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kill me now posted:

Because SCT hasn't put much effort into their tuner for these cars yet. Diablo is the tuner of choice on the 3rd gen hemi right now because its the most functional and if there is something you cant tune trough the basic parameters on it you can have a tuner load a CMR tune through it.

Its just the way it is, even though the motors been out for a few years some of the big names in performance are only just getting their feet wet with them. A lot of this is because DCX was very stingy with releasing info on the ECU and that delayed development on a lot of things. Companies like Kenne bell didn't bother making products for us because the tuning wasn't there. Now that there is tuning available they've started making stuff for us. Diablo was the first company to come out with a proper tuner and it opened up a lot of doors with modding the engines. They had their tuner out probably a year and a half before SCT really got anywhere with theirs and they have been behind the curve ever since.

Makes sense. Jerry W helped found SCT. Jerry was an engineer with Ford and basically designed the 4R70W transmission and had a lot of input on the ECU design. Having Jerry on board really opened up SCT's ability to tune Ford products. Ford still has a pretty close relationship with SCT, even though Jerry left a while back.

It's good to see that the competition is finally getting something going with these cars.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

What's up with that air box? Isn't a 180° turn rather inefficient?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

It's an auto because the wife can't drive a stick! :argh:

You're not scared of a Chrysler automatic?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Not with a lifetime powertrain warranty! Besides this thing is the last gasp of Mercedes technology in a Chrysler product.

How well do you think your warranty will hold up to your mods? Just curious if you know if Chrysler is a douche about mods like some other companies are.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Method Loser posted:

well duh, it's a 20 year old twin turbo car, things go very wrong

(like, oh, say, the throttle butterfly valves STICKING OPEN AND MAKING ME HIT A TREE. poo poo makes me mad still, but at least the car will be 100% when it's back. until something else explodes)

I wasn't aware that Nissan connected the throttle butterflies to the steering mechanism. What an odd thing to do.

:v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Killbot posted:

Finally got some pictures of my car, clean, and when the weather was nice and sunny:

Click here for the full 1200x797 image.

2008 Mustang Bullitt. I added an aftermarket head unit because I wanted a fancy touchscreen and iPod connectivity. I'm putting Koni Sport dampers on it when they arrive.

What are you in prison for and why do they let you have a car?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Method Loser posted:

nigga when I get it back in 2 weeks or so don't make my riced out Z destroy whatever you got at Steele. Don't ut yourself through the humiliation, I WILL MAKE EVERYONE IN AI KNOW YOUR 1 OF NONE MADE RARE 67 MUSTANG GOT ICED BY A JAP RICEMOBILE

Yeah, my '67 is totally going to be road worthy in 2 weeks. I could always just drag race you in the driveway since you'd just back into a tree like Tiger Woods.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Method Loser posted:

I am patient. Like, a decade patient, at your rate, so WE'LL JUST SEE (when we're old men at YOUR SLOW-rear end RATE)

You can race my basically stock '03 GT if you want. If you can't beat it you should set your car on fire.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Method Loser posted:

Deal.

:toxx:

We need a camera man.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Method Loser posted:

And about it being ready in two weeks, shouldn't it have been ready like 5 years ago? :v:

It's been 14 years, what's a few more?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could always start a project (with an appropriate handicap considering his head start) and race him to completion of it.

Mooecow is already doing this.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

zuffenphile posted:

Belldandy,

I kept the car simple, I added sport seats, sport chrono, LSD, universal audio and Paint to sample. the only mod I am looking into is the Sharwerks center bypass for a better exhaust note and maybe some HRE rims.

I'd go ahead and buy the entire wheel.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sarthek posted:

Yeah, just the brand name for the auto they offered at that point in time. I think there was a degree of expectation-setting in its naming: you're sure as hell not going to be doing big-timey standing starts with that gearbox.

At some point in the future - this year, hopefully - I'm going to fit a later model AOD transmission to the car so that I can reap the benefits of an overdrive gear. First, though, it's getting some new suspension.

You are on drugs if you think the C4 isn't suited for "big-timey standing starts".

Nice car, though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Here's what a C4 in proper condition is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKhx6TBpx0

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

my current lol daily beater project, I might stat a build thread over here if there is any interest

when I got it...

currently...

my other cars:

2005 STi:

1989 Supra:

2003 Triumph Speed Four:

These cars with these mods all belonging to the same person can only be in Alabama. What part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Why am I not surprised that VW fags are also shoe fags?