Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
ThwartedEfforts - Niiice.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Oui. The DS has a muuuch nicer ride anyway :frogc00l:

How does it work, having a button for a brake pedal? Any chance of some interior pics? Why the CX if you have a DS and an XS? Sorry for the hundreds of questions but those are some cool motors.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

King-Kong posted:

While I appreciate the lack of standards for tread rating, we're still looking at 280 vs. 140.

If the ratings were closer together, say 280 vs. 300, I'd agree, but I dont think it's an unreasonable suggestion to say the potenza are softer than the contisport3.

Of course, the 135i comes with some pretty skinny tires (why did BMW do this, again?) while the TTS has 255's on all 4 corners. That's probably making more of a difference than the tread wear differences.

You can't really compare different tyre companies' tread ratings, you can get very different lives out of equal rated tyres from, say, Pirelli and Bridgestone. Some car makers will spec a specific tyre and tune the car to use it (M3 CSL for example) whereas others use durable lovely tyres (Subaru and the RE92, for example).

A5H posted:

Dude rocking legit tiffs would prolly have some baller rear end BBS' or something though.
*Owns some tiffanys* :smug:

Just the stock wheels on the Saaburu, sorry.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Not Clutch posted:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

When the car is off the shifter sinks flush when you turn it on it pops up.

Lets just say it puts more hair on the balls than the corvette we had, Ill get better and more pictures up later

Nice car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Xeno posted:

Looks sexy though :)

Yes, but that's real carbon fibre.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My 550i has the adaptive brake lamps. It does work, and I think more cars do need it. I am sure it wouldn't take but a few lines of code into the computer system.

My Rover has the rear fog lamps thing. I never understood it until I put them on one night... it really makes the car stand out.

Rear fog lights are mandatory in the UK, and Rover almost certainly didn't have the tooling to make them optional on export cars.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

salt the fries! posted:

I just did 22 or so hours from FL to WI and got home today. I did 15 hours yesterday, almost nonstop (gas stops and one bathroom break were it), and it was crazy. 900+ miles in a day really starts to get you.

Here are my thoughts:
- Podcasts! I listened to 5 or 6 good episodes of WTF and alternated back between that and music to keep my pacing.

- Keep a bottle of water or something (obvious) but maybe some light snack food (a banana maybe? bring a bag for the peel!) so you limit your stops

- IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, take state highways instead of interstates. I cannot emphasize this enough. I took state highways essentially from Chattanooga to Louisville and then up to Indianapolis, and it was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made.

The mountains make it perfect, but just imagine roads like this:

The speed limit was 55 mph, and those hilly winding roads were amazing. Not the best roads I've ever been on, but coming from Florida almost anything with a turn OR a hill was a massive improvement.

The best part? This cut out a bunch of my route. The 10mph lower speed limit was factored out by the distance being about 30 miles shorter over 3 hours for the bulk of it. And there was no traffic and few cops. Lots of beautiful sunset scenery. All because I stayed away from the interstate.

That reminds me of what should have been an awesome drive from Chapel Hill to Lexington across the mountains, except it was raining, then snowing, and I'd only had 3 hours sleep, so actually it was just really hard work :(

I'm old and lame though, and can't really do more than 8 or 9 hours driving in one go these days.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GazChap posted:

My pride and joy, probably posted in this thread before:

My "new" run-around. Makes the GT-Four feel like a Nissan Micra by comparison:

Lovely! Do you get grief because of the numbers on the Celica?

Not to reignite the Noble wing thing or anything, but go back 30 years and people would have the same conversation about the Countach. Also, lets not pretend Lee Noble spent billions on CFD and months in the wind tunnel with that car, it would be a different story if we were talking about removing a stock aero device from a 458 or 12C. It was designed in a shed in Leeds, not the full scale wind tunnel of Maranello.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 24, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

discstickers posted:

Not buying a 9-2X Aero when GM was firesaleing them is one of my biggest automotive regrets.

I still adore mine. I've been driving a new 1.4l turbo Cruze for the last week, and it's a fun ride, but getting back into the 9-2x was eye opening. The pedals have about 1/4 the travel and 4 times the effort, but it feels alive.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

that's the first time I've noticed they're 4 doors. Are there any coupes? that seems really weird that a performance car like that would be 4 door

Boy is your mind going to be blown when you find out about AMG Mercs and BMW M5s...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I finally got my car back!

Got into a small accident before Christmas that required some bodywork. In the process of getting that done, the place the insurance company used managed to not reconnect the door to the gas cap...

Que me noticing this on one of the rare mornings I drive to work, resulting in an annoyed phone call telling them to come trailer it back and fix it (since the car was basically out of gas). Well, between trailering it off and returning it, they managed to destroy my front subframe, steering rack, and a bunch of other things. As expected, Saaburu parts turn out to be quite hard to come by, with the result being I had no car for the last three months.

And the turbo is still smoking, which is worrying me since it's only got 77k miles.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sadi posted:

We did the turbo on my dads WRX at about that mileage. I honestly think it was more oil getting into the intake due to him slightly (sometimes a little more than slightly) overfilling the oil. Used WRX turbos are cheap though.

Ooh, is that another possible cause? Because I know I overfilled it recently. Do I need to wait for the excess oil to burn off?

blk - it's the stock Blue Mica (with a lot of scratches now) and it's a 2005.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you have an M3 why are you driving to work in a VW? :haw:

Seriously though, those are neat little cars. I sort of wish we got them because they seem so much better than other small cars. Those are huge tires for such a little car as well, what are they, 17s?

I think you probably inferred this from his post but if not, the M3 is a motorway.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It does look ridiculously awesome for a Yaris. That's the first time I've noticed that the shape of the windows is pretty similar to a Diablo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't forget Opel. Even though they're a subsidiary of GM, they pretty much do their own thing.

Not for much longer!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
And that way he can have an engine that's even less reliable than the car it's in! ;)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I think you need to be developing an actual product you're going to sell in order to do something on Kickstarter. What you're looking for is a paypal address to donate money.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sockington posted:

Maybe he can throw a calendar together. Have any jorts? :v:

Now you're talking! :D

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Since we're talking about RS2s: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29423

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

It's not mine but we don't have a family member's ride thread so here's a Lancia my uncle bought with a friend. It's gotta be shipped over so it'll be a while until he finds out exactly what they got but it has ~30K miles and supposed to be completely road worthy (purchased from a high end reputable dealer but you never know). He went from Italian cars back to Miatas and I guess is going back to Italian cars but not for DD. Same person who gave me the 93LE with 17K miles on it a few years ago.

Zagato bodied 1972 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3L V4!

I think it's beautiful. The seats looks so comfy too.

That is absolutely stunning.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Carteret posted:

The first gen were most assuredly MF, if you read the link.

The mid-engined Renault 5 Turbos were most certainly not front wheel drive, in either iteration.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Boost pressure pushes against a fixed spring tension; the wastegate will not open until that pressure is reached.

It'll take longer to spool, sure, since it has to spin faster to pressurize the thinner air, but unless something is very wrong it should still hit the same absolute pressure. That means the same air mass into the cylinders, same fuel burn, same power on boost.

Why do you think some of the very first applications for superchargers (both belt- and turbine-driven) were for high-altitude aircraft engines?

Right, forced induction engines suffere less at altitude than NA engines.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Here is my $1500 Exocet donor.

I decided to polish the turd real quick to see what I'm working with, and got some pretty surprising results. I kind of feel bad that I am going to disassemble it and part out everything but the suspension and drivetrain.

Is the steering wheel spoken for already? Need to replace the one in my wife's NA.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Naw we don't get the A1. It looks like it's a bit smaller than the A3. Pretty sharp though.

Although, I saw this a couple of weeks ago in DC (Audi are headquartered nearby in Herndon:

(5 door S1)

Oddly enough the day after I'd been at an Audi event in CO driving A8s and S8s, but that's neither here nor there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

JaySB posted:

That's cause I suck at the computers

It's one of the first A&A Supercharger kits for the C7. I have issues, I had the car for roughly 1100 miles before I decided it needed a supercharger. Vortech head running 8lbs of boost. Made 602hp to the wheels with a can of Torco on 91. 575 without, I'm on the fence about being really stupid and putting a cam in, they made 698whp with a mild cam. As it sits right now on Toyo R888's I can spin tire in 4th gear so I'm not sure how I feel about the idea.

That thing must be mental. The one thing I didn't think the Stingray needed was another 250 bhp!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ludicro posted:

I don't understand why in the states they don't get people to learn to drive in manuals. Its a lot easier to go from a manual to an automatic than the other way around, and it handy should you ever find yourself in a situation where an automatic is hard to find (such as renting a car in Europe).

In the UK if you can't drive with a manual transmission you are looked down upon as a bit special. :downs:

Most Americans will never rent a car in Europe and they teach driving in schools to 15 year olds so they probably figured automatics are easier.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

wallaka posted:

Good luck finding tires, but you're never going to buy a new sports car because they all have power steering.

Yup, have to buy new wheels for the wife's NA Miata because there just aren't any good all-seasons in 14" anymore.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

afen posted:

Runs like a train once the boost comes! Melted a piston last fall due to my own stupidity, got her a new engine and she runs better than ever!

Took the car for a spin yesterday in the sun:

Bloody hell. How easy (impossibly hard) is it to source a new RS2 engine?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Powershift posted:

Granted the E39 is basically a compact by today's standards, the size difference never ceases to amuse me.

Did you know a compact car is based on how much room is on the inside, not how big it is on the outside? A Bentley Continental is a compact car in the US.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Powershift posted:

Maybe the whole world doesn't operate on EPA size class?

You're talking to someone with a maroon passport who used to drive (and still misses) a Ford Ka, so yes, I get that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

655321 posted:

Man, I should have consulted everyone else before deciding to buy my car. Since I'm a total human being with poo poo taste, I guess I'll surrender my car to one of you purists who knows what is good.

It's the 2015, and these are the stripes

I happen to think they look great. It's an understated white SUV, which is the point, and I think the small stripes just add a little something. Anyway, I'm excited.

Well, I like them. Nice choice.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

How do you like it?

I just put an order in for mine, white as well, though with a few different trim options.

It was hilariously impossible to find these in a manual transmission to test drive. Finally a local dealer got a used 2014 z51 in and let me put about 12 miles on it.

I get that some people prefer an automatic. I just had no idea that the skew was so big. Out of the 40 or so on the lots around here, I'm talking like 3 are manuals.

That scenery is eating up the picture of that beautiful automobile.

The rev match is a godsend when you're feeling lazy but it's also so convenient that you'll give up even bothering to heel-toe when you drive it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

How do I assign the i range on the cock meter? Does the i8 register higher or lower than your standard M4?

There isn't a better two-door car on the market right now for under $250k, IMO.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It hasn't been cleaned in a bit, the paint is in horrid shape, but mechanically it's sound. Almost 93k miles now, owned from new. His name is Sven Takahashi and we love him:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm not trying to be mean, but why? It's not fast, not really comfortable, no technology, will kill you in a crash, and gets horrible mileage. Is this just one of the memes this forum goes through were awful cars are so bad people lust over them (see: dumb station wagons).

IDGI either.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I still wonder if those have any actual purpose. Or are programmed in just to make people "OMGMUCHSPORT"

I have had some OEM engineers tell me that there is an emissions benefit—because you get combustion happening in the exhaust on the way to the catalyst, apparently it burns off some of the nitrogen oxides. I've had other OEM engineers say that's bollocks and they just do it because it sounds cool and their customers like it.

YMMV.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

fyodor posted:

An SC400 for LeMons.

I don't know quite how to say this but you guys... you get me. You really do.

There was an SC300 or SC400 that used to race in Chumpcar's central region a few years ago.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If it was a tiny bit shorter in length I would love it's styling. It lookes like it's overriding it's own chassis.
its very Range Rover-ish at this angle, lacking in that chrome faux venting and line tho.

It just came to me: How the hell is the Range Rover now the benchmark which we measure lux SUVs by?

Because it invented the genre and continues to be good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

blk posted:

IIRC drgitlin and I are double twins

Yup. We don't have the Miata any more though, just the Saaburu.