Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

not black enough posted:

So how much faster are you than a stock wrx in your autox class?

Guessing by the tires, I'd say slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

My old DSM. Currently rotting away in my parents garage because it's completely unaffordable to race. Everyone wants to build a race car. Which is great if you don't have snow or salt or sand, and can afford to keep the car off the street parking.

JIC's tuned by john mueller (currently blown), big t28, 6 bolt, shep tranny, ray's wheels, bride zeta 3, apexi full exhaust setup and front mount, greddy 13 row oil cooler (a must for road course work), wideband, dsmlink, 80 billion greddy gauges, autopower rollbar, momo rally wheel, etc etc etc

Needs some evo 8+ brakes really bad for road courses, it'd fry a set of porterfields in a session. Pad knockback was also evil. Needs some 8.5 inch wide wheels and some hoosiers too. :sigh: about 3-4k in parts/work that i can't justify for what's pretty much a track only car now.

I race (well not really right now) bikes now to hold my competition jollies... But I really love auto racing.. :smith:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Nait Sirhc posted:

That is such a beautiful car. Hats off to you, sir, for keeping your 2G clean. They are so rare these days.... 90% of the 2Gs I see on the road are riced out with half a primered Veilside-knockoff kit hanging off them, and then they wind up being RSes.

I always thought the veilside kit was kinda subdued (for veilside) for the 2G:

The car needs a lot of work still. I'm debating on revalving the jic's or going all out bilstien with ground controls. not to mention ducting, a new hood with a vent, replacing the rear hatch and going polycarbonate glass, a bigger turbo (thinking something small ball bearing and shoot for a low 400 mark, don't need anything more but the t28 doesn't have the top end i need). also build a tranny cooler and put at LEAST a front lsd in the car. I would fry my front tires on the uphill at nhis.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Cross drilled rotors are a waste of money and do more harm than any good.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

SmartPowders posted:

My dad raced for chrysler back in the day. To own anything outside of a mopar will result in death in my family.

How's did the family deal with the Mitsu partnership, then the Mercedes buyout, and now the final nails being driven in?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

Yeah, those dipshits at Baer, what the gently caress do they know about making brakes?

Yeah, they know how to make money off people who think that cross drill rotors do anything.

Please show me any post 80's steel rotored pro racing (eg sanctioned) car over 2000 pounds that has drilled rotors.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

TheFrailNinja posted:

Second ride, 99 Galant GTZ, 110k miles. Looks great from a distance, close up you can tell it needs this and that, you can see that the rims have seen better days. The previous owner gave me a list of about 20 things that had been replaced last fall, first to the tune of $1200, then $1800... but no timing belt. So I've gotta drive it around until I can fix that, then I can stop driving like a little old lady. :)

I really love that generation of Galant. It's probably my favorite 4 door body style over all the "bigger sedan" cars of Japan. It's so much sporting looking than a Camry or an Accord.

Get that timing belt fixed, and some nice wheels. :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Crowley posted:

I loving hate you for putting an Apple sticker on the back of your car.

hate hate hate.

"My personal electronic device is worth more than my car!"

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

LO Technology posted:

Ok, besides having owned the biggest mistake in my lifetime (yeah, bi-turbo), let's use some math.

The fastest any vehicle can accelerate on a flat surface while depending on friction between the wheels and the road is 1g=9.81/9.82m/sē. If you can't reach forward while being under the influence of 1g, you're just scared or seriously invalid - as in no arms.

Fun fact: The fastest a car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h is exactly 3.6 sec. That is if the friction between the road and driving tires is exactly 1.0. That will never happen on common asphalt and available tires. Reality is that the most slick asphalt and the best tires will provide you a friction coefficient at about 0.9. That gives us a min. of 4 sec. 0-100. Anybody that claims otherwise is a drat loving liar or just plain stupid.

A lot of cars (my old somewhat tuned Peugeot V6 included) can manage to accelerate 0-100km/h on the edge of losing friction (spin the wheels). On a FWD reality says about 6-7 seconds (1 gear shift) on a RWD or AWD it's a little better since you shift the down force to the rear while accelerating, but any claim of 0-100km/h below 4.5-5.0s is a drat lie.

I'll take your money from the dashboard.

Have you ever seen a top fuel dragster?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Cars warm up best when you drive them. Just don't push them. Once you have oil pressure, start movin'!

Unless rotaries are special or something.

Well yeah, but you don't wanna be going to 9 grand when the car isn't warmed up hence the lights?

I love those RX8 seats. A shame the platform got dropped but it just wasn't really evolving at all

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Belldandy posted:

Why would you do this and completely ruin the look of the car? Or is this another "I want my car to be as boring as possible to fit in" thing that AI has been doing?

STUPID RICERS!!! :argh:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I just feel like doing that kind of stuff destroys the spirit of the car, which is econobox-rally sports car sold to the public.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Deedle posted:

This is my 2002 Renault Twingo, it's in Privilege trim with a QuickShift-5 automated manual gearbox. The little 1.2 litre 16v engine delivers 55kW, which is sufficient in a car that only weighs 825kg. Also the tiny engine has the distinct advantage of averaging around 50MPG when I drive with a lead foot and easily upwards of 60MPG when I put some effort in to it.

So far the only thing I've changed about it is the tyres. It came on horrible 155/65R14 Kleber brand tyres when I bought it, which simply couldn't cope with all that power. The current GoodYear 165/60R14 have no such problems, not to mention it got rid of the car's annoying desire to understeer a lot.

Image hosting is my own.

I heard you guys like spacious enginebays.

AAaaaaaaaa it's so cute! :neckbeard:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

My car has fai hundrad horse power

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Are headlight washers required in Euro-land?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Sell it as quickly as you can before you catch whatever the previous owner had.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Or you're actually a time traveler from 1999.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a shame they don't come in 17" 4x108 with an offset that fits my car :(

maybe you should buy a car with non-retarded bolt patterns :colbert:

And frankly if you only have 4 bolt, you should stick with 16's max :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

General_Failure posted:

That's really awesome but you should have had the cage fitted before getting the interior done.

Don't cage a street car thanks

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

This is what happens when you take a strange car to the local college for a smog check.

Did it pass? :ohdear:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

blk posted:

Generally yes, but he might be able to get away with this. He and the car are so small, with the emphasis on the landscape and receding road - the shot says to me "hey, I like having adventures"

No. Do not do this.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

JaySB posted:

I dunno if I ever posted the finished product of my project:

I guess it looks okay (??) but that's gotta be the worst photograph man. Take again with something that isn't a camera phone and in the dark.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I really like what AB Flug did to the MRS:

But I love fiberglass so ymmv

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Dizman posted:

Correct! However my GTO was edging right on 550 rwhp, but it was terrible because the car had super skinny tires and I couldn't drop $3k on CCW wheels and a mini tub to fit 295s on the rear. The previous Z06 was 680 rwhp and that was just stupid. I'm fairly certain the sweet spot is 550-600 rwhp. Since I mostly do highway pulls and don't launch the car, I can stay with my LS7 clutch so I don't have to worry about the car suffering in the drive-ability department. As for the HDPE thing, I never really have the time. The events are always over an hour away, at a time I can't attend. The only thing I really have time for is the drag strip, which I hardly go to. Cruising the highway with some friends for some spirited runs will suffice.

Sounds like you're in it for pushing excel spreadsheets of whp than driving. Pretty much no one lives less than an hour from a race course, yet somehow we manage.

Best of luck on fixing the fiberglass though, that's a doozy.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure you should make like your crank and walk away from this one.

Oh snap. I've been ousted. So whp. So burned. So hurt. Crying.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

prototype14 posted:

My S15 Silvia that I've had for around 5 years now. I have changed wheels, kit and added the Water-Air intercooler. The only "performance" mods are the intercooler and a 3" cat-back exhaust, which gives 166rwkw (222.6rwhp) on 14psi (just under 1 bar) of boost.

(Yes the shed floor is untidy, I was changing oil it that day)

I love S15 Silbeers, but why the water air intercooler? There's like a zillion good FMIC setups for the car that don't have the issues of water/air.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Red + Black interior is always the best:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I am a big fan of mid nineties Japanese market Recaro Confetti pattern.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Yakattak posted:

Like in the Skylines?

Sort of, but even MORE fun:

I'm pretty sure Supras had a variant of them, and I know mid nineties EVO's had it too.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

Houndstooth bucket seats :swoon:

You're in luck, they make alcantara in houndstooth now. :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

dangerz posted:

I think I'm done with external mods. Brakes and new seats will be next.

Looks rad. Get some Recaro buckets. :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

dangerz posted:

I want to find a set that'll be ok as a daily driver seat as well. I only track the car 2 or 3 times a year. The Corbeau A4s (for the price) seem decent. The other option is to have track seats and just swap them out on track days, but that just seems like a lot of hassle. I dunno.

The next planned track day isn't until next March so I have time to figure it out.

I used to daily drive my Bride Zeta III full bucket. It's really not that big of a deal, you just need to take out your wallet and put it in the center console. I drove to Canada once or twice in it also (Around 8 hours one way). Although I may be more into "sporting position" than you are.

Corbeau's are too unworthy to put in a Z06. ;)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/2807022-the-dark-side-of-the-corbeau-a4.html

This does not sound promising.

Also be aware that folding seats have no provision for a sub belt.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

dangerz posted:

TSW Nurburgrings. I custom made the center caps because I didn't like the super silver bright TSW logo.

The issue with the c5z (and c5's in general) is that the cabin is small, so there aren't many seats that fit. I'll look into the Bride seats, thanks for the info. I like the sporting position but I also like to be comfortable :]

I sat in a friend's A4 seats and they hugged me really well. There are some gripes to them but anything is better than the stockers.

Recaro + Bride are basically the same thing (Japanese made vs German made). A full bucket is about as tight as you can get in a car. Good luck on your decision! I kind of want to get a Z06 and ditch my DSM....

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Judging by the tire to fender clearance I'm going to guess there's going to be a lot of rubbing on his setup when doing "performance driving".

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Yea, I'm more concerned about the fender lip. These cars roll quite a bit stock. This is the fronts on 225s with ~-.8camber.

There's two schools of thought on this, run a tire/wheel combo that has good clearance on full compression (for tire deflection), or the autocross method which is to raise the car, jack up the spring rates, and run as wide tires (285+) as you can get (which is not good for me).

I only run 235s on my Eclipse when every dude is dying to run 255s and I still rub sometimes with rolled fenders. No inner rubbing though.

I'm not sure on S2000s widths off the top of my head but I've seen road course S2000s only run 245 width Yokos (which usually run wide) with over fenders front and rear. I think if you ran a higher offset you could run maybe a 255 rear depending on clearance but tire compound matters way more than an extra theoretical 10mm of width.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Depends on the application.

Greddy had a few that were around 1800 bucks. I think it's more about how much welding you do that drives the cost up vs. the actual materials.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Love that Civic Type R.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Sup :smug:

edit: Before anyone asks, he couldn't do the center caps because they would melt. So my options are try to color match or just throw them back on silver, not sure what to do yet

Purple really doesn't go with that paint color at all man :(

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

smelly cabin filter posted:

I hope he ruins his car and you get realy upset and make posts about it on the internet. Who gives a poo poo its not like they didnt sell a tonne of e46 m3s anyway, I see a shitload of scraggy ones nowadays.

But but but in 20 years it could still be worth the big buxx!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Das Volk posted:

It's no DSM!

I already know my car has never been worth anything, and never will be worth anything? :confused: