Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
1988 Mazda 323 GTX new glorious nippon B6T and trans, front mount, going MS and GT25R soon. Has Tokico Dirtra 320 rally shocks, otherwise stock.

1988 Daihatsu Charade CLS. 1.0L with Koni adjustables, homemade strut brace, big rear swaybar. Gets 45+mpg and is great on dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

frozenphil posted:

You import guys convert to returnless systems to get more fuel? Weird.

I've never even seen a returnless system except on the Grand Prix and I think the Focus. Returnless is s waste of time and overcomplicated needlessly. There are no drawbacks of a standard return-system, its pump requirements aren't crazy and all the mechanicals have 40 years of performance in tens of millions of cars and nearly every race vehicle running EFI. Hell, I've seen return based carb setups, now thats wacky but has its advantages.

edit: oh okay I guess the 350Z is returnless stock, changing to a return system is much better.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 6, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Thats a ST185, a 205 is the four-eyes. The US got the ST165 and ST185 models, but not the ST205.

It might be called rice because the blacked out lights, wacky racer hood, and large wheels, although its uusally on a fwd Celica ST and not on a real alltrac. I wouldn't have done it, but some people like adding body mods.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 8, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Grashnak posted:

Heres my new car that I bought today.
It's a 1991 Celica GT-Four Group A Rallye which is the homologation version of the ST185 GT-Four. According to wikipedia its one of only 150 that were sold in Australia.

I'm not too sure about the wheels on it so theres a good chance I'll end up changing them at some point. Other than that though the car is in pretty drat good condition.

Yeah, some OZ wheels or various models would be a much better addition than those lovely things. Also, engine bay pictures please!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Anti-Square posted:

you guys hating on the lifted diesel are hilarious, he lives in the suburbs?! There is no way he needs a truck for towing or anything!! chill out, gently caress.

Sorry we don't like The Littlest Penis (tm) brand trucks, I live in SoCal where its bro truck heaven and I've never ever seen one of those huge lifted trucks dirty except maybe pulling some jetskis at 85mph in the carpool lane. Or in traffic, which is where most of them sit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Nothing matter when you are lowered. Not bump steer, not your underbody, not axle longevity, and certainly not handling.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Weezy88 posted:

adjustable dampening

I see you run JDM coilovers since they seem to get wet a lot. It'd probably be best to not tell owners their suspension have adjustable damping, because most people aren't even smart enough to pick the right word on what their suspension does, less set it up to do anything other than be slammed. You can be assured your can handles slower in an autocross than stock, if you care. If not, its a nice drop, although to me it looks a little too much like vacuum cleaner driving around.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 9, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Weezy88 posted:

Oh I see now. Lordy forgive me for calling it dampening. That means I don't know what it does!

That is pretty much true, certainly so for any Japanese suspension product that uses a word talking about water rather than slowing bumps. Check eBay for a chuckle, dampening in an ad is the mark of true garbage and even the expensive poo poo says it and from what I've read damping and dampening are totally different words in Japanese, and cetainly German.

Anyway, The intracies of compression, rebound, springrate, roll stiffness, bump steer, scrub radius, and all that stuff are completely thrown out the window when lowering a car that much without some serious redesign. You lowered it, don't pretend it will handle better because it will not. I don't give a gently caress if you even have KWs, that car's suspension wasn't designed to run that low and nothing works right at that rideheight.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 9, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

enojy posted:

I'd arrest you too for taking a picture that terrible.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I've heard of a compressor bypass valve mod for safety. Have you found need for that?

It doesn't really do much other than prevent surge on the turbo and reversion through the AFM/MAF. You'd have to be making some serious power to do fast damage to the turbo.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Don't know if a $49 Megan Racing twin potato cannon muffler makes it unmolested, but the paint is quite nice.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CrackHoor posted:

Nope, that was somebody else. :ninja:

And for the record, I wish that was a $49 muffler. I put that on when I had more disposable income, it's an APEXi N1 dual. Here's a side-by-side with the stock exhaust:

Click here for the full 1024x404 image.

Glory Chinese sound with Japanese price!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Subways Jared posted:

No poo poo? And I had the tire-rack mechanics do this themselves too. That's weird, thanks for pointing it out.

How dim is the stoplight output through those sweet rear light covers?

You ususally want your stoplights to be bright and instantly viewable in any circumstances, not eurohomo tight.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Subways Jared posted:

Bright as any other taillight. A guy in Germany custom fabricates them just for 200's. A lot of attention is paid to retain OEM factory brightness. It's not some hack EBay taillight covers that would do something stupid like reduce brake lights visibility. It's applicable too since the original tail section housing there is cracked rubber and falling apart on these models by the times it's this age. The new ones I have on are practical, and visibility is not reduced at all.

You spent a lot of time and money to look like you got kicked out of dubfest from bringing grandpa's car.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

You severely underestimate how many people love trucks.

And the F series/Silverado/Ram is what people buy, same as last time those utes were here.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can someone explain this to a US goon?

P plater is a decal that must be attached when a Probationary license (aka young), drives the vehicle. Some can't be driven by "P Platers," such as v8s and such.

A Commodore Ute is a GM car in Australia, think El Camino but years and years newer.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

nerdrum posted:

It helps having one of the best tuners on the east coast tune your car, but even a basemap is going to be that linear and "un-honda" like.

The NSX engine itself is stock pretty un-Honda like torque wise, but that is a great plot there.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

coldfire07 posted:

As :rice: as my car is, I think some of you might appreciate it.

Don't really appreciate a scene whore seat, awful handling-reducing tire stretch, and the most awful air filters known to man (ITG makes the only good foam ones), but congrats on it not being an auto with fender and rear quarter damage?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Wasn't the 92 Laser the only more or less guaranteed 6/4 car?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Nait Sirhc posted:

I don't think so. The 92 FWDs don't count and there have been a few early (built in 91) 92 Laser AWDs with 3-bolts.

Hard to have a 4 bolt with a FWD car :P

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I have a supercharger from a Previa for my LeMons car, too bad the All-Trac S/C didn't come in stick. Would have been a turbo short of a Lancia Delta S4.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

Joining the camry club!

3 liters/5-speeds
all forged internals/P&P heads/magnacore comp wires
tokicos/H&R Sport springs/whiteline RSB/Supra TT brakes

how toyota should have made the mighty gen3 camry!

Can you maybe use some punctuation and describe it in a way that someone not from Toyota Commuter Nation would have to decode?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Fuelslt1 posted:

3 liter engine with 5 forward gears in the transmission.

The 3 liter engine has forged internals (the bits that move inside the engine) and the heads have been ported and polished.

He also has fancy Magnacore brand spark plug wires connected to his spark plugs.

Tokico shocks with H&R sport springs to lower the car and help handling.

A whiteline RSB is a sway bar.

Supra TT brakes are brakes from a Toyota Supra TT that he has retrofitted to his Camry.

Edit: Sometimes I make spelling mistakes.

I'm well aware what all those things are, just that he doesn't need to use Toyota Nation signature shorthand in a generalized car forum.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Daneo posted:

My new toy. The engine has been completely rebuilt, so hopefully the apex seals will stay where they are for a while.

e:
Specs
New stock turbo's running at ~1bar
Apexi ECU
Gizzmo boost controller
850cc injectors
D2 coilovers
HKS exhaust
Powerflex bushings in the rear
Ferodo DS2500 Pads

The wheels are völks 17" with michelin pilot's on them.

Too bad about the coilovers, they're utter garbage.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

JerseyDevil posted:

A landscaping truck (surprisingly not driven by an illegal alien, as are most of them in these parts)

I LOVE RACISM!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There's another non-US sign in the background too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

Turbo shitbox is finally starting to look alright!

You have a turbo Lumina? I've only ever seen one of those.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

_firehawk posted:

I can't tell if this is a fakepost, but this is not a lumina. The only turbo w-body of this era was the Grand Prix.

Looked like a Grand Prix to me too. I know there was a turbo Lumina coupe with the 3.1t for like a single year.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Its best to sell it and find the proper options and trim. Factory perfect manual swaps tend to be quite complicated.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Nice Euro headlights. I missed a pair of them at the San Leandro Pick N Pull once, they are worth a shitload.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 30, 2011

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:circlefap: Tasty. The best double takes are when you go by them and spool the turbo a little bit. There also seems to be an unspoken club, at least where I live with fellow MS6 owners. Usually a head nod, or something that acknowledges one another. It is cool.

That means something totally different with Miatas.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

Honestly most of the hype over ethanol is just :patriot: because the US grows shitloads of corn and there's tons lobbying to use more ethanol.

Its only hype if its subsidy based corn ethanol, the sugar-based fuels like in Brazil seem to work quite well, even major manufacturers have special engines for alcohol fuels, getting most of the economy lost in the lower calorific value of alcohol.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

well MTBE is carcinogenic and persistent in groundwater so it's probably a good thing they've replaced it

Also this, MTBE wasn't really the anti-knock to end them all, just cheap.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

Spaced out my rears a bit:

Goodbye wheel travel and hello wear!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

simreal posted:

I would love to find some good performance enhancing bolt-on's for the 3800 V6 but my google-fu has failed me thus far.

There really isn't much of anything you can or would want to do. Put some suspension or good tires on it, that would be a much better use of money than making a slow rough lovely engine more rough, lovely, still slow, and now fragile.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Whoa, they made a turbocharged 2 liter from the factory?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

I am going to buy an HID kit for all four as soon as I find one. At a car show I saw a guy with a 1980 Monte with projectors but he didn't know where he got them from.

The light works, it just looks bad. Though "works" is probably an overstatement for any sealed beam headlight

You can pull actual HID projectors (halogen projectors will NOT work correctly) from many luxury cars and even normal cars from the last 15 years. Don't put HID capsules into eBay "h4" housings, it will blind the poo poo out of everyone and put out terrible light.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Even though the blocked vents might be for looks only, it might be worse for cooling if you opened them up. Modifying aerodynamics is unintuitive, and opening vents on the hood, especially up closer to the base of the windshield, might not do what you think it would. I dunno, this is just a bat signal for DJ Commie to :bahgawd: about it.

You rang?

Yeah, the hood scoops would probably actually decrease cooling airflow, since the scoops would add air to a place that would hopefully get its air from the mass coming through the radiator. If you prevent that from working properly, the engine could theoretically not cool properly.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

I've done some work to it to try to increase performance without tanking my fuel economy which includes a new flowmaster super 44 muffler and I just installed a Spectre cold air intake this weekend. 17 mpg in a full sized truck with a 5.3L V8 isn't too bad imo. And the awesome exhaust note isn't a bad bonus either.

I'm running out of stuff to tinker with on it that won't drop my fuel economy though.

Another SUV with a droney exhaust that won't do poo poo for your economy.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Actually, mine went up from barely 15mpg during daily driving to a bit over 17. And I'd probably be pushing 18 if I could ever find a replacement for the bed cover piece that slid out of my truck and went boom. While probably not that common, I'm pleased with the end result.

Just like the 'butt dyno', there is a function of noise control inherent in how people unconsciously drive that can affect fuel economy. I had a hugely loud exhaust on my NX2000 once, and my fuel economy only changed because I couldn't accelerate hard without turning heads, even with a race-quality 2.5" mandrel bend axleback, my power didn't go up, my fear of accelerating hard certainly did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Next someone will find out that factory cars have oversized adjustable holes for body panels and have little shims to make it all look okay!