Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
2002 TJ Magna - The only mod is the 2.5" exhaust and what I was told a 'racing' cat coverter. One day I'll crawl under there and take a closer look.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/fa/fa6d0a681240772710a38d6f86d265bf47fc72c5.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ad/adfa2014eb9afa883222b72fcaff4af28ed0b151.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

joey deere posted:

I had a wagon version the same year and colour, it had 225,000 km on it when I sold it and it never had any problems or needed anything other than oil and filter changes for as long as I owned it.

I got this with 42,000 on the clock. Just rolled over 80,000 and I've never had a single issue.

Not only that I have the tripmatic auto box which means it's an auto but you choose when the changes happen and aparently it ignores the rev limiter when doing this. The highest I have ever hit on the tacho is 7200rpm in first.

Basically what I think I am trying to say is that these things are tough as nails and dirt cheap. It's my everyday car and my beater in one!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

BAN ME PLEASE posted:

Took these about ten minutes ago.

1996 Toyota Camry, just under 146,000 miles.

[X] 1 hubcap with 2 in the trunk?
[X] Guardrail damage to tweaked drivers side from hydroplaning a few years back?
[X] Brand new tires that I got installed yesterday right as the winter storm hit, leading me to start the car and accidentally hit the lock button as I got out to clean it off and let it warm up?
[X] Old rubber gaskets and weather stripping that howls on the highway and makes a small draft?

[X] Great looking paint?
[X] Gobs of power from the factory? (came with a roaring 188hp and ~200ft/lb torque when new, IIRC)
[X] Just won't die even though I am an owner that borders on abusive at times?
[  ] Dignity?
[  ] A chance at winning a real race?
[  ] Can attract women?

I got this 6 years ago as my first car and it will be my only car until it dies or I hit the lottery. I love my boring and stupid looking family sedan.

My friend is in the same boat as you except he took a slightly differant approach. Instead of waiting for it to die from natural causes he turbo'd it and it now runs a 14.1sec 1/4 mile.

Edit: His is the four though

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

I like the little lip spoiler too, suits the car nicely. Be nice if we got these cars in Oz =\

I've called Hyundai a couple of times and told them I will buy one of these things if they bring it here.

Meanwhile, This is the state of my current ride but I've got the cash to fix start work soon. I'm just waiting on parts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

You Am I posted:

What happened to the Skyline?

The short version is that I am an idiot.

The long story is that I lost control on a dirt road trying to avoid a rock that in hindsight would have done a lot less damage than the ditch I ended up in.

I've just ordered all the body new body panels(including a nismo front bar) - and I should hopefully have enough cash left over after the repairs to do some upgrades but I'm not sure what yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Didn't you post a Youtube video of this?

I did indeed. It's taken me this long to save up the cash to get it fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iGgo4P9LqY

ExecuDork posted:

Glad to hear it'll be back on the roads soon, though.

I've been taking photos of the destruction and I'll be getting the body shop to take shots as they put it back together. I'll post a thread then.

Someone post their ride so we can stop focusing on me and my bad driving skills. :D

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

chomper posted:

I loving love these. Why does America get the lovely cars?!

drat Aussies.
Very nice car, man!

Around my area there are so many of these things running around most people call them Commonwhores. :v:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Das Volk posted:

When I see people posting cars like this, it's like seeing someone post an e-machines from 1998 in SHSC.

except Morgan Freeman doesn't use an emachine?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

How easy is it to take that back canopy off? I've seen poo poo loads of these and for some reason never even considered it came off because I've never seen a local one without it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

Dumb question; is gas expensive down under? I can't think of another country apart from the U.S. that loves their V8s as much as Australia.

Adding to what Hunter said: It's also a massive country and price can change fairly dramatically depending on where you are.

I pay about $1.60AUD per litre where I live but on a recent road trip I traveled nearly 3000km's and paid anything between $1.25 in metro areas and a painful $1.80AUD a litre out west.

I didn't even leave my home state - I just drove from one end to the other.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

I want that dash to be an option on every new car.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

sadnessboner posted:

Interior! '63 Holden Special

My father had a '63 EH special for about 20 years. Such a solid car.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

My friend in Japan bought a kei car!

2000 Daihatsu Mira Gino, barely any mileage (kilometerage?) on it, and he paid probably a thousand bucks less than I paid for my car. He really likes it. Personally, I think a 2-door would have been better, but it's still pretty nifty.

gently caress yes. I would import this in a heart beat if I could.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

meatpimp posted:

It's like the opposite of a car mullet -- Sports in front, kids in the rear (and I wish I could get one in the US).

It didn't always look so sporty - it had a different front bar and headlights that didn't support a front-mounted intercooler. That and it didn't survive a trip into a ditch at speed.

Here's what it looked like sitting in the car yard in Osaka where it was built and lived until I bought it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

dissss posted:

A decade old now but still running great

I just hope nothing goes wrong with the fuel system (early direct injection, bleh)

four doors is the right amount of doors for skylines but what happened to the hotplates? Did they just put them on the GT-R after some point?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Hey, Whats the pod? My father just got a 500 twin-air and the only option they offer here is sat-nav for $600 bucks.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Turbo pressure gauge and shift light. I think they're located on the bottom left side of the wheel in the US versions.

Hmmm, The twin-air has a turbo on its 875 cc I2. - I wonder if it's compatible. Fiat Australia though doesn't actually appear to be awake because we cannot find anyone who wants to sell us stuff for it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Amazing EJ. Does it have its original engine?

My mother drove an EJ wagon when I was born and her left leg was noticeably larger due to the clutch. Then my father had the strangest midlife crisis and bought an EH wreck and restored it until it won 'Best Classic Holden' two years running locally. Why is this a strange mid-life crisis? Because like me my father hasn't got a mechanically bone in his body and ended up basically paying for his mechanics retirement.

He sold it a few years ago to buy something easier to drive(Fiat 500 twinair which I will be grabbing some sound from once my gopro arrives) but he loved that car.

Here is my dad's '63 EH Holden Special (it's got a red 186 in it though):

edit: while look at these images I had vivid flashbacks of walking on that bonnet as a ten year old. It didn't bend or bow.

tobu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 3, 2013

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Are you talking about the roof air scoops like this?

Because if you are... nope nothing like them. They are basically just to stop the harsh Aussie sun melting you to some green vinyl. Ours used to hum so loudly at above 35 mph you couldn't hear the cars single speaker radio. The radio was called the air-chief and it actually was removable from the dash so you could take it on picnics.

sadnessboner posted:

Thanks. It's got a red 149 and a floor shifted toyota four speed in it now, along with a HR disc brake front end.

Your old man's car is a beauty. I've always thought they looked best in that turquoise colour. With the spats and visor it reminds me of a cortina down here that I always lust after (unfortunately not mine):

Very smooth Cortina.

Meanwhile, Those disc brakes must be a god-send - Our car barely stopped on the drums but even when it did it was enough to make you slide off the slippery vinyl because it had no seat belts just some straps from the roof that you wrapped around your wrist.

And you have four toyota gears? luxury! We had three on the tree with no synchro on two and three.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Dinosorcerer posted:

This is my car, so it goes in this thread:

That is an amazing looking car. I think the 33's look a little chubby as they get older but the R32's rock my socks.

Meanwhile do you have your HICAS locked? That gravel scares me.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Dinosorcerer posted:

I gotta say I still like the R33. The GTS/GTS-T look a bit out of proportion but the GTR's still look great. There were a few at Racewars keeping the quality up:

There were a couple more R33 GTR's there and a whole heap of R32 GTR's, around 6 or 7 I think? 3 of them had 2.8l RB26's, one of which had nitrous even! Those can move I can tell you that. Mine's pretty sedate in comparison considering I drive to work in it every day, but I still get it on the racetrack when I can.

I haven't locked out the hicas, and probably won't unless it breaks. It hasn't given me any problems and while it feels a bit weird you get used to it pretty quickly, plus you'd be screwed if you wanted to do a u-turn without it haha. Traction wasn't an issue beyond a bit of four wheel wheelspin in 1st and 2nd, the orange gravel was for the parking area and return road and the 'gravel' on the runway was fairly superficial. The higher power ones were having a bit more fun putting the power, the video I posted in the Awesome thread of the black R32 has it drifting across into the left lane in 1st, 2nd and the start of 3rd, but it was still good enough for a 3.3 second 0-100, 11.x second 1/4 mile and 19.x second 1000m. And that was on a stock bottom end running about 600hp on E85.

In summary GTR's are cool, screw your government and buy some.

I had a think about it and I actually don't have many GTR r33's up here in North Queensland and if they exist they have terrible eBay front ends and led tail lights.

RB's are just drat tough. I daily drive my R34 GT-T sedan and I'm mean but it just thanks me with tyre/fuel bills and smiles. I've even raised the rev limiter by 200 to 7000rpm and it's running double stock boost(14-15psi)but the RB25DET NEO is just so happy to be flogged. Meanwhile, about HICAS: I'm keeping my Super HICAS unlocked but with just RWD on gravel it is dangerously sketchy and wrong feeling. Glad it works well with the AWD.

How popular in WA is it to drop the twin turbos of the rb26 and jam on a single massive speed snail? It's all that seems to happen up here so they can chase numbers for the non-existent motorsports events. It makes me giggle because I started with RWD and a single turbo and some GTR's have given up both AWD and twin turbos to be just like my much cheaper family sedan. :)

Anyway, moving away from my car here is another SA members car:

BobTheDestroyer helped me wax and polish my car today (poo poo! I'm still talking about it - Does this happen to anyone else?) but I couldn't convince him to spend some money on some upgrades for his VZ Ute. What you cannot see in this picture is its red leather interior and LS1.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Dinosorcerer posted:

I daily drive mine too, and it doesn't mind getting up around the 7500-8000rpm limit. Have you taken yours to any circuits up in QLD? Barbagallo Raceway over here is a lot of fun to fang around on, there's a great little elevation change through the esses (T2 and 3) which is so satisfying to take flat out.

Have you posted any pictures of yours lately? I can't remember but these forums move pretty quick. Oh and yep, HICAS on RWD doesn't make sense to me, I'd get rid of it if I was doing motorsport personally.

I sadly haven't hit any circuits at all. The only thing in town at the moment is a go-cart track but they are currently planning a hopefully decent Motorsports facility. I find out in May how far away from me it will be and how long before it is finished but I'm still pretty excited about that.

I haven't posted any decent photos lately because I only have a dodgy camera phone and a gopro which I am terrible at using. Here it is after a polish:

Bonus r31 in a car park:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Should I be surprised that I took this picture outside of the hospitals acute mental health ward?

Both the r32 and r33 had damages from attempted break ins so I didn't stay long.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

blk posted:

My high school dream was a Lotus Esprit V8.

You are not alone. Someone at my university daily drives this Esprit and always parks it in the free parking. This means he is always parked on dust and wedged into trees.

First image has a bonus slither of my friends AI Datsun 120Y.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I'm itching to learn more about cars and do a couple basic upgrades on my 2004 Camry LE. How much instruction and experience would it take to pull off an upgraded intake and exhaust? This is for a 2.4L straight-4. Would I be better off going to a professional garage? Do garages even do upgrades? I know nothing about how this all works.

I take it I would need some more performance-oriented parts like wheels with less rubber as well.

This is what I like about cars. This guy has a Camry and he loving loves it. As for doing actual performance mods on the Camry? I can put you in touch with someone who dropped nearly ten grand slamming a turbo into his but he probably doesn't want to talk about it. In fact, he'd rather you never mentioned it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

I'll talk to him today and see if he is keen. :D

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

xcl08 posted:

Well where do I start. I owned a 1993 Toyota Camry.

I did not have many plans for it after this, so I traded it in for a 2007 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo ute, I have had this car for around 3 years and it is now pushing 600 horsepower at the wheels, so around 710Hp at the flywheel so I have been told.

In the mean time I have also done a cheap resto on a Chrysler Valiant, brought a nissan 300zx TT back to life with some love and attention and a few motorbikes.

Thanks for posting this. I remember that Camry well; I even remember your mum hooning it around for a while. That said, I like the princess (XR6 UTE) better.

PeterWeller posted:

That is rad. My first car was a '92 Camry, I treated it like utter poo poo because I was a stupid 16 year old, and it paid me back by being completely indestructible. I loved that car. It was a loving tank, and it's why despite how boring they've become, I still have a soft spot for Toyotas.

I know another goon who was in a similar boat with a 89 Camry that just wouldn't die. When he finally decide it had had enough his father painted it pink and resold it. It's still going four years later.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

Probably the only semi-interesting vehicle I have at the moment. 1973 240z, everything mostly original on it.

These are suitable for 'P' plate drivers in Queensland and teenagers around me are buying them and doing awful awful things to them which also raises the price of decent examples.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

You Am I posted:

Desperately needs an Unimog or Bushmaster

Living up in Townsville I drive past Lavarack Barracks everyday on my way to work and often see literally hundreds of Unimogs and a few dozen Bushmaster parked up. The other day I got stuck behind a duck (with soldiers standing on the back playing at being indicators) and its not uncommon to come round a corner and see 10+ bushmasters rolling down the highway.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

This isn't my ride exactly but its what I am driving for the rest of the week after I took my skyline through about two feet of water and a fan belt decided it wanted to be free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsPxmybAbQ

875cc twin cylinder turbo'd motor hooked up to a god awful robot manual transmission producing 63 kW @5500 and145 nm @1900.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Posted this little beast already but its seen some action this week so here it is with a matchbox version that is only marginally larger:

and here it is after it got punted by a school bus (not full size, a Benz Sprinter):

Seeing that a school bus full of kids was involved in the accident police, ambulance and fire services showed up along with three tow-trucks who tried their best to convince me not to drive the Fiat home. They spouted all sorts of bullshit like 'its got undeployed airbags' and that my insurance wouldn't cover me if I drove it after an accident. They were real cocks about it but all were impressed with how little damage the car took seeing as the bus was not driveable due to undeployed airbags(taped off by firemen) and a busted coolant system. I think it didn't take much damage because although stopped I didn't have the brakes on so it just pushed me out of the way.

Got the insurance quote today: $5,800. It's the only thing harder than the headrests.

tobu fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 1, 2014

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

:eyepop:

A similar accident involving me getting hit from behind by a Passat ended up costing her insurance $3000, and that included a new bumper (plus tow hitch cutout), some exhaust bits and a dent repair+partial repaint of the trunk lid. All work done at a major dealership.

$2800 on top of that is pretty wild.

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention I live in bumblefuck nowhere and everything not only has to make it to Australia but then it needs be trucked about 1800km to me. Also It'll be needing a new rear hatch due to a crease in a really bad place and we are paying a premium because only one repair shop in town uses PPG paint and if insurance is paying we'd rather it not dealt with by the local cowboys.

I will add to the chorus of praise for these tough little italian go-carts. I've given people joyrides in it (absolutely no other cars with a two cylinder engines around) and even 'car guys' don't notice the damage unless its pointed out to them.

CharlesM posted:

I drive every day with undeployed airbags. :confuoot:
The matchbox version has some really big wheel spacers!

I'm trying to work out how I could fix the wheel poke on the matchbox but I think it would be better if instead I just put massive spacers on the 500.

Can anyone explain why the head rests are so hard? I know they serve their purpose well enough but why couldn't they be just a bit softer?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Geology posted:

and the FJ

Both those cars are rocking but drat its nice to see an FJ in some dirt. Nearly all of them around here are just billboard cars for real estate agents or giant mum taxi's.

I guess this is because the hardcore offroaders around here just get themselves 70 series Land Cruisers instead. I'm told they are being discontinued there is still plenty of them around.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

I'm here to defend my wounded pride, GIGANTIC penis, and automatic gearbox. Its all about the individual box - I'm not saying all slushers are good but some have their perks.

Mine for instance is 13 years old, pushing way more power than it should, and it:
- doesn't drop any boost through changes
- lets you bounce the rev limiter as much as you like (when using the paddles)
- lets me poodle to work with almost zero effort
- locks up the rears when you down shift too early

It also:
- probably drains more than 50kw of power
- won't shift hard before warming up
- won't allow me to do hard launches

I'm hoping to get it rebuilt with a shift kit and 3.5k stally next year but I'll have to ship it about 5,000km's to Perth from Townsville because I want it done properly and all the local shops have no experience with them.

(I miss driving a manual but not much)

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Out of its comfort zone in the scrub:

Bonus Bluebird:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

It's been ages since I've told you how much I like your car.

I like your car. A lot.

Anything done to it lately?

Hey, Thanks. I'm just starting to love it again myself - it made me very sad for a while after the cooling system shat itself, the rotors got more warped than Kirk and then the HICAS gave up and started making the most amazing noise during left handed turns.

Most of thats been fixed now. A few months back it got a big arse alloy radiator which cost me only a 100 bucks new. Some DBA slotted rotors went on last week with some QBS Endless pads and today I'm hoping my shipment of Federal RSR 595 semi-slicks arrive.

I'm going to have to wait to get a HICAS locking bar on because I want to buy some sway bars and do it all at the same time. The final steps for this year will be a monochrome set of number plates and the bonnet resprayed in matte black to cover up the peeling, fading poo poo job the last panel beater did.

sadnessboner posted:

At this point the bluebird has to be rarer than the skyline. I can't remember the last time I saw close to that tidy

Its the 'Adventurer' pack too which I'm told is looked after. The bloke who owns that has two other Bluebirds and a couple of Datsun 120Y's. Its actually in quite good nick up close. The only thing that really lets it down is that all the carpet is slowly turning into dust which is fun to inhale.

tobu fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 9, 2015

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Voltage posted:

My fiancé and I have collectively bent 3 rims on NYC potholes in my Fiesta ST this winter. That stupid thing has insane low profile rubber band stretched tires over its 17" rims from the factory. I don't get it. I avoid potholes like a champ most of the time, but sometimes you have no choice but to hit them in traffic.

I don't get it either. In my younger days I slammed some 18's on my car with some rubber bands for wheels. Nice rubber bands too - RE001's with nice thick sidewalls. A week later a cyclone blew through and hosed up our roads with pot holes which in turn hosed up my new rims. Oh and train tracks here routinely exist in 80km areas and easily stick up a few cm. They gently caress poo poo too.

I'm now using the stock rims and I love it. That said, When the AC gave up recently I made the mental leap to start calling it a beater so I don't feel bad about driving it into the ground.

Also, the bigger wheels and stock ride height made it look a little too raised:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

The driving position was literally crippling me.

12 mile/20 minute drive to work and by the time I got there my right leg would be almost numb. Nothing I did with the seat helped so I crawled back into a(305 horsepower) Subaru.

Holy poo poo the pedal position is loving terrible. I'm driving a twin-air with the 5 speed Dualogic and my right calf is all sorts of hosed up from just switching between the throttle and brake pedals. If this thing had a clutch pedal it would be completely undriveable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

Truckwash. Super-concentrated truckwash.

It removes everything. Dirt, grime, brake dust, skin. And it's like £35 for 25L.

Will it remove water staining on window glass? I've tried a few different washes and even a loving razor but that stuff seems keen to stick around.