Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Yee-haw. '84 Crown Vic, photographed in Paris (Texas), currently down with a dead water pump and leaky brake hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I've always liked the '98+ Crown Vics, and my beater '84 shat a head gasket a few weeks ago, so I picked this up yesterday:

2003 Police Interceptor. The guy that sold it to me said he got it from the DEA; I have no way of verifying, but it has been lightly used as a detective-type car -- no cage/light mounting holes, but it does have spots where things were taped to the dash, gun-butt wear pattern on the driver's seat, and the fuel filler door button's been disabled (have to open the trunk and pull a handle in there).

I've already done the bumper tuck mod and replaced the stock AM/FM head unit with something more useful. Next up: some kind of center console/armrest and then start with the intake/exhaust stuff. I suppose I should pretty up the wheels at some point -- it had the full covers, but I had the guy swap 'em for the center caps because the full covers were a bit too much chrome for my tastes. Definitely need to paint the wheels gloss black, I think.

It needs something to make it less "ohshit it's the cops". Yes, I bought it because I wanted a black cop car, but it's gonna suck being behind people in no-passing zones. Maybe I'll get some fuzzy dice. Or fuzzy handcuffs? :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ziploc posted:

What the hell is the point of that?
It was explained to me like so: cop cars are often left unattended with the doors unlocked. No time to lock up/unlock when you're running after a criminal, I suppose. Since, in cop mode*, you can't open the trunk without the key in the ignition, it makes it so nobody can steal/adulterate your gas while you're off on a foot pursuit.

*there are two plugs for the trunk button behind the dash**, one for push-it-anytime and one for only-works-with-the-key in.

More cop car fun: the dome light and "don't forget your keys/lights" chime don't come on when the front doors are opened, so you can't tell when the officer's getting out of the car at night. That can be reversed simply by plugging in a thing under the glovebox, but I kinda like it (Edit: my '84 has a busted chime and blown interior-lights fuse, so I got used to not having them). The light does come on when the back doors are opened even in dark mode (presumably so you can see to avoid bumping the prisoner's head when you stuff him in the back).

Speaking of the back doors, luckily the Feds apparently just use the child safety mechanism rather than pulling the handles/actuating rods.

**Edit again: Actually, mine has the trunk release in the civvie location on the driver's door rather than the center dash, but still has the 2-way wiring, because it won't open without the key in. I guess the location was optional, and the DEA wanted the ability to hang something over the spot where the trunk release usually goes in an Interceptor.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 12, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It snowed/sleeted today. On the one hand, a big car with a torquey RWD V8 doesn't do well in the slush; it just sits there and spins the tires if you give it any gas at all.

On the other hand, nobody will hit you. Batesian mimicry: not just for butterflies.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
New (to me) car! Some of you may remember that I buoght my grandmother's '84 Crown Vic (and eventually had radiator trouble that cracked the block, achieving a soft kill of the notoriously hardy Ford 302 V8 -- despite leaking coolant faster than you could pour it in, it still ran fine, until it got warm). I replaced it with a 2003 P71, which has been slowly dying for a few years -- the PCM's crapped out so two cylinders aren't firing, the A/C compressor died long ago, etc. -- so when I was offered a good deal on a fully-working car, I was all over it.

It's my grandmother's car, again, the one she replaced the Crown Vic with. When she died just a few years after that, her kids agreed that it should go to my cousin, who was just moving out of the house and needed a reliable car to get to work and such.

Now that Cousin has been happily married for several years and has an adorable toddler and a husband with a decent job, she was able to afford a new-ish car, and I was offered Grandmother's car for the price of the new tires and battery my aunt and uncle had installed a month or two before Cousin retired it.

It's an '04 Kia Amanti/Opirus. I didn't show it from the front, but does

remind you of anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COy_JKXtzvE

I've been told the CD player (-ayer-ayer-ayer) doesn't work but have yet to test it, need to figure out how to make it so it doesn't reset the mirrors and seat every time I get in (or rather, make it reset to my preferences), and the FM radio randomly jumps between presets (easily solved because I only listen to one radio station, I just set all the presets to it).

Other than those minor quibbles, it's a car suitable for a tinpot dictator on a budget -- after all, it's the car that the people PSY parodied in his runaway hit were chauffeured around in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

I was planning on getting a tiny Asian rollerskate with cheap tires and good fuel economy for my next, so ... one out of four ain't bad? (It's about a foot shorter in length and a couple inches smaller in the other dimensions, but that's just because the people are smaller in its native market, it's their equivalent to the Lincoln Town Car -- takes the same tires and gets the same gas mileage as the cop car).

Re: it's an ultra-luxe car in KDM market: The owner's manual has ... well, I'll just show you:

The front passenger seat converts to a chaise lounge for the rear passenger. How much more decadent can you get?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am very interested in this and all Korean luxobarges that qualify for the special LeMons rules about them.
Well, now I know what to do with it when I get something else.

quote:

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out the CD player, is it a partsbin thing or is it special to the Amanti and you can't just chuck in one from an Elantra/Optima/Spectra?
Probably special, it's a 6-disc changer.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I got an ex-TXDPS Crown Vic (reshot all black) because my job involves a lot of long-distance cruising so I wanted a big comfy car and I just liked the looks of it, and got pulled over and given the third degree more than once for looking too much like a cop. Tbf, I had toy plastic handcuffs hanging from the mirror. I knew I should've gone with the fuzzy pink bondage cuffs.

Always wanted to get a pushbar and paint it and the tail panels lime green or somesuch.

Edit: best Interceptor I ever saw was a mild donk with the Highway Patrol two-tone, but repainted lime green on top and metalflake blue on the sides. I'm sure he gets hassled as much or more for entirely diffeerent reasons.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Not my own, but my brother's new old truck, same year and model as our grandpa had when Lilbro Baggins was a baby.

I miss owning old cars that you could sit on the inner fender to change the spark plugs (as Lilbro is doing in that photo).

And yes, he has one foot on the floor, the engine bay of the '67 F100 with an I6 is that spacious.