Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I currently drive a 2001 Audi S4 which sports a few modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Clamwacker posted:

I'd like to know how much it costs to modify an Audi so that you get 4 boats. Anyway, nice looking car and a pretty slick photo.

Thanks man, but none of the boats are mine :(
As far as mod price, it really depends on the mods your doing. I'm at stage 2+, which is an ECU reflash, down pipes, and a full catback. Estimated power with these mods is roughly 340 HP and 400 ft/lb of torque.

A.C.A.M. posted:

SEPIAAAAAAA

Lets see it in colour!

Haha, ok!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoesNotCompute posted:

How do you find the ownership experience? I've got a 1.8T Jetta and for my next car have been heavily considering adding two cylinders and a turbo. Nightmarish? Expensive? Etc?

Personally, I'm absolutely IN LOVE with this car. I plan on driving it till it can't be driven anymore.

However, maintenance can be a pain in the rear end. The stock K03's aren't reliable at all and can go at any moment. Some keep truckin', and others just die. On my audi forum there is a B5 S4 owner with over 210,000 miles on stock K03's. I'm very close to NYC so I have access to a tuner who has very reasonable labor rates. To do a full stage 3 (pull motor and switch out turbos and clutch) install he wants around $1,500. If you do get this car, you might want to have some money set aside just in case something brakes. But, if you keep on top of maintenance and do all the small things when needed you shouldn't have a problem.

That being said, I still love my car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

metalhead posted:

is it a tip or 6spd?

Its the only way a real S4 would be, 6 speed.

DoesNotCompute posted:

Well consider my arm twisted, I'm now on the longterm hunt for a clean B5. I took a 4.2 S4 (B6? I don't know audi stuff besides B5) out and loved the poo poo out of it. I also love turbo lag (seriously) so that's got the older ones in higher priority for me, the V8 did make a lovely sound though.

If you need any help searching I'd be glad to give you a hand. The 4.2 is found in the B6 and B7. The B5 has the V6 Bi-Turbo. If you can, test drive a 2000-2002 S4 (that's the B5 S4 year range for the US market). You get lots of torque down low and with just a chip the power is bumped to 318 hp with 380 ft/lb of torque. Just for $500.

You won't regret buying this car. Just be aware that maintenance is important and can be costly.

Oh yea, Stage 3 pulls like a freight train! :D

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Scooped some BBS CH's for my S4. I'm going to eventually get around to paining the calipers blue.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So I bought a new car the other day! :dance:

I got rid of this, a VAST stage 3-

and picked up this thing, a Cactus Green B5 S4 Avant with a 6 speed transmission. It's supposedly 1 of 2 imported into the US. Needless to say, I'm stoked :xd:

I plan on doing some maintenance first (valve cover gaskets, cam seals, front rotors, ect) and then dropping it and putting the BBS CH's from the previous car on it. And eventually do downpipes and an exhaust.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
My grocery getter:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Finally got some free time and decided to take a picture.

Oh and gently caress you DogDodger, I'm insanely jealous of your TT RS.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 10, 2011

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DogDodger posted:

I like your avant. :(

I like your car too :glomp: We could trade...! :haw:

Billy Tully posted:

Nice, thats the best color too.

Why thank you sir! It's 1 of 13 or something like that.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I washed the car (for once this winter) and took a picture...well, my friend took the picture.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
My car is too skinny, it needs more :btroll:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Lightbulb Out posted:

Dual defrost buttons.

Is that an E30 M?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Lightbulb Out posted:

No, it's just a 325is with E30 M3(Mtech2) steering wheel, ZHP shift knob, sport seats, etc.

It looks drat good!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post your ride's interior

My 2001 S4 Avant's interior

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

boondocksts posted:

Is yours the wide body?

No, I loving wish it was. My car is the green one. The owner of the wide body has TiAL 605's on the car apparently. And he has Recaro Topline seats. I'm really envious.

nutnmunch posted:

I'm not sure why, but that interior is perfect.

Thank you!

D C posted:

B5s have the best interior.

I miss sitting in mine.

Yea, they really are awesome interiors that have hardly aged somehow.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

KozmoNaut posted:

That is in fact the universal currency symbol ¤, used when the actual currency symbol is unavailable in the font you're using :eng101:

So what you're saying, in-fact, contrary to his belief, that his car gives many fucks.

My wagon rolled over 129,000 miles the other day, I felt like taking a lovely iphone picture

I'm thinking about selling her when the Abarth comes out... :tinfoil:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Billy Tully posted:

That XJ is cool as poo poo. Even though I swore Id never own another B5 after the one I had was such a pile of crap I would consider buying your wagon azerdude, is that a CT plate I spy?

It's interesting, B5's seem to get everyone in the end. Yup, sure is a CT plate!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Billy Tully posted:

Well howdy neighbor! Do you go to any of the meets around here? When spring (lol) comes around I'm probably going to start going to the one on the Berlin Turnpike. Probably going to do NE Dustoff this year too if thats still a thing.

Hay local goon that I didn't know was local! Umm I tend to go to Dubs on Defrost (at Sherwood Island Park) and usually Waterfest, but I'm soo loving tired of going to hellaflush shows basically. That is all Dubs on Defrost and Waterfest has become (as if Dubs on Defrost was anything different :rolleyes: ) and I just really really really really hate that whole type of scene. I'd much rather go to a real enthusiast type of meet. Essentially, I really ought to go to more meets, but don't know of any good ones that aren't bullshit (like Dubs on Defrost). I've never heard of the meet at the Berlin Turnpike or NE Dustoff. Care to elaborate?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I'm thinking of selling this...

2001 Audi S4 Avant

for this...

2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

Talk me into it, or tell me I'm an idiot. GO!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

I wondered if you were the dude on AZ, but I suppose there aren't going to be many cactus B5 S4 Avants going up for sale at the same time.

Personally, I think you're loving nuts. That B5 is amazing. I can't fathom owning anything but an Avant now that I've had mine for three years, but that's me. Have you driven a 500 Abarth?

Yup, that's me! It's pretty easy to narrow it down, especially considering how many of the 14 owners are probably enthusiasts.

I feel like I'm nuts, but at the same time I feel like I want to do it. Or maybe it's an impulse thing. I don't really know. I'm so up in the air about letting it go because of how super unique it is. I also wanted an Avant since I realized how loving sweet they are

I have not driven an Abarth yet, apparently a dealer near me gets one this coming Friday. So in a way that day will ultimately decide the fate.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DogDodger posted:

I trust Jack Baruth's reviews, and the 500 Abarth seems underwhelming, especially compared to your car.

The second he mentioned the SRT-4 in that review and basically called it a 500 SRT, I closed the window.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Here comes the world's biggest multi-quote.... :words:

Motronic posted:

I think part of the missing information here is: do you actually NEED the space you are dragging around in the Avant. It's a sweet ride, and I'd happily drive one whether I needed the space or not. But if you need it, the Fiat is a non-starter.

If you don't need the space I can see where you're coming from. Just make sure you drive one first. With what you're driving now, you have reasonably high bar set. Make sure the Fiat is up to the task.

Here's the thing. I bought the S4 Avant becuase they look light years cooler/better than the sedan verison plus the "OMG you have a B5 S4 Avant" factor is pretty fun and neat. Yes, having the additional space is great, but I've only used it a hand full of times (honestly, I could count it on one hand). The space is great to have, if I ever need it.

Yes, the S4 sets the bar very high, and I definitely need to test drive the Abarth first. I'm just afraid if I switch, a week or so later I'll have buyers remorse.

parrhesia posted:

If it helps, the press coverage I've seen in the German-speaking press has been nothing but positive. I realize that the American 500 is slightly different, but it should still be an indicator. Plus our automotive press basically exists to fellate German car manufacturers, especially VW, and make everybody else look terrible, so if an Italian car gets good reviews that means something.

Yea, every other "review" I've read has said nothing but great things about our 'Murican Abarth. Something about that guy (from The Truth About Cars website) and his opinion didn't rub me the right way. It's as if he was purposely causing controversy to drive hits to his site or something. :raise:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

16 times in one article and it's about a Fiat. Jesus.

yeah yeah I know Chrysler yadda yadda

At least I'm not the only one who found it really ridiculous!

Crustashio posted:

I'm a giant BMW fanboy and I still wouldn't trade that Audi for anything. Easily one of the best looking ones ever made in a fantastic colour. Don't do it.

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot especially considering it's from a BMW fanboi haha. It's a very unique color to the Avant (only 14 B5 S4 Avants were brought to the US in this color) and it certianly looks very very nice in person. I walked out of the bank earlier and just stopped and stared at it for a while.

It's like I'm falling in and out of lust. :allears:

_firehawk posted:

I can only assume the S4 is paid off, and I would think not having a car payment is a big plus.

Oh absoletely! I got this car for an incredible steal, the dealer I got it from had no clue what they had in their hands. However, it does need some things (ie. cam seals, valve cover gaskets, ect) that are deterring me from keeping the car. Ever since I got it, it's been nothing but a classic example of a B5 money pit.

MetaJew posted:

You're crazy! Keep the S4 Avant.

I like to think I'm crazy and sane for even debating this :shobon:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So basically the moral of the story is I'm crazy.

I clearly have to test drive the Abarth, so when I do I shall report back. Thank you AI

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So furthering my Abarth vs. Avant dilemma, I went to the Fiat dealership to sit in and try a regular 500 Sport to see how I liked the car (the Abarth will be a totally different car) Here's a small review from my eyes...

I have absolutely no problems with the 500. My head rubbed the ceiling a few times (it had the sun roof, which is a must for me) but other than that it was a short and pleasant experience. I felt a bit cramped, it's hard to describe but the A pillar and top of the front window felt very close to me and in-my-face. I feel like that had partially to do with the seats being really high up, they were on their lowest setting and I still found myself wanting them lower (perhaps Sabelts would be lower?). The standard 500 seats were very comfy and squishy. I was very pleased with the feel of all the dash buttons in the car for the radio and climate controls, they were soft and pleasant to touch. :3:

Now, the clutch was very interesting. It's extremely different feeling from my S4, in the sense that there is virtually NO pedal feel. The pedal takes absolutely no effort to press into the floor, you could probably engage the clutch with a flacid penis. Then when you are searching for the catch point it just kinda happens somewhere and you don't know when it will catch, it just kind of does. In the S4 the clutch pedal has LOTS of feel/weight behind it and it's obvious when it is going to catch. I could live with it, but I would prefer more feel behind a clutch pedal. As for the sport button (in the 500 Sport), I only noticed an increase in responsiveness from the throttle, as if the throttle body was quicker to open/close upon pedal input.

Also, I brought my golf bag to the dealership to try and fit in the 500. I had a fair amount of doubt as to whether or not they would fit, and to my utter amazement they fit with putting only one seat down. :dance:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I got around to washing the car for once and I took a few pictures

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
^^^ Sup modified wagon buddy!

So, again, I think I might actually want to sell this for an Abarth. Am I crazy?

The car is mechanically fine now, compared to when I bought it, but I'm just so tired of worrying about every little thing. I think I'm falling out of love or something like that. I don't use the "wagon" factor, I never haul poo poo around. I bought it because it's stupid rare (1 of 14 in the US) and Avants just look better than sedans.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

relish_fetish posted:

For going fast 00 Audi S4:

audi by ryanloun, on Flickr

Sup Cactus Green S4 buddy! :hfive:

I ordered a Fiat Abarth so unfortunately this rare gem has to go, so we will no longer be buddies. :smith:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So I sold my S4 and picked up this thing last night with 11 miles. Sorry for the lovely photo, I have yet to take some decent ones, when I do I'll share those

A short 4 word review of the car: BEST. STOCK. EXHAUST. EVER.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 10, 2012

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Dizman posted:

I loving LOVE these cars and want one so bad! Awesome man, congrats.

I also looked up the stock exhaust on youtube and drat. That's loving ridiculous for a stocker.

Chinatown posted:

drat I just looked it up on youtube and it sounds insane for a stock exhaust.

Thanks for the compliments fella's. The stock ride height is pretty silly looking so I'm going to have some Eibach springs installed over the next week or two. Here's a great video that shows off the stock exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxh-iGtbRI

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

b0nes posted:

Also GramCracker is that an Abarth? I can't tell.

Yup, it's an Abarth, its hard to tell from straight on. No "Fiat" badges on this car what so ever.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Yeticopter posted:

I've been going back and forth on posting this (wanted to wait until I could get better, outside DSLR pics) but here it is. My yesterday purchased 1993 Porsche RS America. Poor thing is still sitting w/o plates until I can find a decent policy, since my plan of insuring it under a historic/classic car rate has basically blown up in my face.

I looked at mostly stock examples for a while before I found this track weapon, I'm not crazy about the BBS wheels or ride height but all that means is I'll have to be extra careful cruising around the city.

few other interesting bits: corbeau buckets with 5-point harnesses, Safety Devices half cage, full bilstein suspension, all four factory options (AC, radio, sunroof, LSD) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I'm totally psyched to have this thing but I'm a little scared since it's my first Porsche.

HOLY poo poo!!!! That looks loving awesome! The ride height, body color, wheels, everything about it is perfect. I love your car. Please share more photos.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

- The wire transfer was held up because my bank was trying to reach me on my home phone to confirm the amount, while I was in Connecticut. They never tried my cell phone and were waiting to hear from me. Luckily I called to check in on what the holdup was.

- Had to wait for the seller to come to my hotel to actually sign the title over to me, since I had no means of transportation while in CT.

- Seller wouldn't let me take his plates home, even though I promised to send them back as soon as I arrived home. We had agreed on that over email before I flew out, but he changed his mind once I was there.

When it was all said and done, I got a 2011 for less than 2010's with twice the mileage are going for on the used market, so I'm happy. I'm about halfway home, staying at a hotel just outside Toledo tonight.

Thanks for not emailing me back, jerk. :colbert:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

It probably was, until I put it on a truck and sent it to its new home this morning. :(

God drat I already miss it.

I miss mine too. We need an Avants Anonymous support therapy group.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Yeticopter posted:

I've been going back and forth on posting this (wanted to wait until I could get better, outside DSLR pics) but here it is. My yesterday purchased 1993 Porsche RS America. Poor thing is still sitting w/o plates until I can find a decent policy, since my plan of insuring it under a historic/classic car rate has basically blown up in my face.

I looked at mostly stock examples for a while before I found this track weapon, I'm not crazy about the BBS wheels or ride height but all that means is I'll have to be extra careful cruising around the city.

few other interesting bits: corbeau buckets with 5-point harnesses, Safety Devices half cage, full bilstein suspension, all four factory options (AC, radio, sunroof, LSD) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I'm totally psyched to have this thing but I'm a little scared since it's my first Porsche.

My friend ran into you today while you were getting gas for that thing, he complimented your car. He was driving a white B5 S4 with an RS4 bumper. Just thought I'd share what a small world it is!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

mobby_6kl posted:

So, get those wheels. Otherwise congrats, that's a very nice ride, the W124 is one of my favorite types of MB.

God drat it that car looks amazing. Click for more:

http://www.euroclassicmotors.com/galleries/500e1992.html

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

primaforce posted:

Just picked this up today. No idea what I'm going to do with it, but the custom idea's are literally endless. It's a mid 50's mail truck. Really short wheelbase, only 96"! Thing is almost 8' tall haha. Can't wait to figure out what to do with it:

That is loving awesome. I've seen a lot of cars, and that's up there with my all time favorites now.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I sold this:

And bought this:

One owner, 93k miles, all maintenance receipts. It's bone stock and I found it 2 miles from my home :toot:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Lt. Jebus posted:

How did you like the Abarth in your 5 months of ownership?

I loved it so much and will totally own another in the future. This opportunity (to me) was too good to miss with the Imola Avant.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Crustashio posted:

Is that a 6spd? And also, how the gently caress do you find those? That is seriously the ONLY audi I'd ever consider cheating on BMW for, but they're so rare with the right transmission.

It is of course the 6 speed transmission, I'd never waste my time with an autotragic in this car :colbert:

I know of two other Imola Yellow ones (both 6 speed) and a Cactus Green with sport package. One of the two Imola guys is willing to sell, the other is some random old guy I see driving it near my work. As for the Cactus Green with sport package, that is undergoing a 6 speed swap, and that car can also be available for sale. I literally reached out to anyone with the Avants I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Greg63T posted:

Here's my pride and joy, I've had her for over 4 years now.

That is loving awesome. Rock on my man!