Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
For driving up hills:

For driving to work

For the wife to drive to work

For burning fuel, rubber and money

The last one there is a 1969 Torino GT. Originally a 351W with auto trans, drum brakes and a bench seat.

Its latest incarnation has a 414ci stroker, computer controlled automatic trans, all new suspension and 4 wheel wilwood brakes. A set of factory bucket seats in the new interior. Still searching for a factory console. I've added a wideband air/fuel controller with data logging to get the carb dialed in, but I suspect I'll move to fuel injection before getting that perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Well, here's a bad picture of my new replacement for my 2010 Taurus SHO. It's nearly a foot shorter, and far more practical.

Getting 13MPG so far, not so bad!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It's the optional "Work Package." It'll be handy but it does throw off the look a bit.

If memory serves, you've got the optional "Tubular rear bumper," the default was a body colored steel bumper.

Those trucks are awesome. I had one in '94, and I still think it was the best truck I've ever had (better than my '99 supercharged Lightning, even.) Great for towing, if you've got the towing package. Towed a house with mine (reposessed mobile home, but still!)

If you pull off the decals, they're certainly replaceable, but you may have a paint mismatch where the color protected by the decals is a bit more fresh.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

A new ride. It will get much wrenching attention between now and the start of the 2014 Power Tour.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

The interior is the primary reason I wanted one of these cars. 4 "bucket" seats, a full length console, and the rear seats fold forward to give over 7 feet of clear cargo space (when you also drop the trunk divider.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

MrSaturn posted:

road trips... wagon?

Still have the V Wagon, but we really don't road trip in that - when we go to the mountains we take the ZJ, to carry the dogs. But, I got this Charger primarily for my favorite road trip - the Hot Rod Power Tour. 2014 should be 2600 miles or so in 7 days. Between now and then the Charger will get new suspension, 4 wheel discs, air conditioning and overdrive. Should make for a pretty comfortable cruiser.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Raluek posted:

I love the dash on those cars. Have any pictures of it lit up?

I've had to send an Oil Pressure and Temperature gauge off to be rebuilt and have the needles repaired, but here's the bulk of it:

The original EL power supply worked fine once I disconnected the 2 shorted needle elements.

I'm going to roll it a couple hours down the interstate tomorrow - will report mileage. I'd guess 10 or so - it's a 440, but the current 3.23 is a decent enough highway gear.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Bad crankshaft position sensor - left it for 4 days parked under a tree in our dog sitter's driveway until we returned from our weekend away. In Atlanta, in the spring. Filthy. Fixed now, and washed!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

My CTS-V Wagon has had a steady diet of premium fuel and tires since I got it in 2011. Needs a new front "splitter" thing - an errant bit of truck tire cracked one side. Other than that, I'm waiting for the new '16 models to consider a change. I did see an AMG wagon the other day, which is about the only other option. Decisions!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Tremek posted:

The E63 AMG-S model wagons (2014+, AWD) are bonkers. I wouldn't mind one at all someday. Hopefully alongside the V. :)

Jhcain: the '16 models will be about as quick stock as $5k into your wagon would be. No wagons in the next generation either.

Yeah, luckily I like sedans as well. The wagon is about out of warranty - I've always driven American cars (well, mostly) but I don't trust them THAT much. I'll have to scope out the new V sedan, just because. The cue system better be different / improved over what I've seen in ATS loaners - it drives me bats. The utility of the wagon is pretty compelling - the only similar "useful" options are the aforementioned AMG wagon, or... Tesla. Those things have a LOT of space in the back.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

There it is, in a magazine. That's right, there are still magazines being printed!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Page 392. I keep meaning to change those covers- this has inspired a trip to eBay!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Look at that sweet donor! (The 6.4 in my Charger came from an SRT GC).

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

I did a thing, AI!

That's not my house, but that's definitely my Maverick. 1974 2-door, 250 w/C4. It isn't quick but good god it's lovely. Got a sick deal, came from a guy who restored it with his son. Came with a stack of receipts, maintenance logs, all the original paperwork, even the original title.

Yes! We have one of those as well. It's the wife's 1970 model. Here it is with the BGT, prior to its impending updates. You've got a great looking car there- love the color!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

Thanks, you've got a couple of beauties yourself! I do love the skinny bumpers on the earlier models, the black color works really well against the blue on yours too.

I rebuilt a '71 grabber with my dad when I was about 12 so I've got an affinity for them. Certainly didn't help that his was a totally insane dragster build with double barrel carbs sticking straight through the hood. I'll have to ask for some pictures of that monster.

That Maverick looks better in pictures than in real life - the black bumpers are coming off to get rechromed, and the hood will be replaced with a Grabber unit. The Maverick is a good looking little car - yours looks terrific, just the way I'd want one (but I do prefer the skinny bumpers), but the wife has other color options in mind for hers when it gets to be that time. Looking forward to seeing more of your green car, and hearing of your adventures. Ours (hers) has a 200 and a 3 speed - previous owner relocated it from the column to the floor, and it's hilarious to drive... I think 2nd is... yeah over there.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

H2SO4 posted:

You have no idea.

(awesomeness)

Avocado!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Front!