Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
There's a bunch of MS3 and MS6 owners here and we aren't being chummy enough. I'm sick of all those Legacy GT- and WRX-owning faggots waving their camaraderie in our faces. Everybody start talking about how much you love your DISI MZR here right now, goddammit.

I'll start us off:

Santa (me) got my MS6 (me) something totally awesome for Christmas. What on Earth could it be?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Oh my, this is totally sweet.

:rock:

That's right, motherfuckers. There can be no mistaking the fearsome visage of Our Lord AccessPORT. Currently running "Stage1+SF 93 v101t" from mzdspd.com and while I can't say it feels holyshit faster, it does pull hard all the way to redline now. Allegedly I've dialed in a gain of 60lb/ft which should put peak torque at something like 340, but I don't think I'll believe that until I see a graph sometime later.

Next up are the new Denso plugs Cobb recommends and an Saikou Michi catch can, since Internet says I have to.

After that, it's tires, and I want to talk about that too: It seems I've chewed through my RE050As in something like 12,000 miles. It's time for new tires and I'm looking for recommendations. Should I stick with the same tires, or are there grippier/quieter/longer-lived/cheaper/whatever tires out there that would work better for me? I'm thinking I want to move to 225/45 from the current 215/45s. Is there a significant benefit to this? I know at least it'll put the speedometer correct.

Okay, now everyone else speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My car's a Subaru, but my Accessport is from Cobb.

Watch for burn-in. My OLED screen on the AP2 is trashed from leaving it on.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I suspected it was an OLED screen because if the weird glittering it does. I haven't done more with it than save my stock map and upload the v101 map so I should be okay for now, but thanks for the heads-up.

Is it a Cobb thing to make the OTS maps a lot "smoother" than the stock tunes? I'm noticing that it doesn't seem as gruff, which is making it hard to compare the before and after with an instrument as imprecise as my rear end.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I wish the MZR was a bolt-in swap for the NA Miata :saddowns:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I guess all Mazda owners have a complex! :v: And I agree that this engine really needs to be shoe-horned into the MX-5.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suppose I should chime in, being a MS3 owner. Mine's a 2008.5 Crystal white pearl. Haven't done anything to it so far except for swapping to Redline trans fluid and a CP-E engine mount, which I'm not sure if I'll keep. It makes shifting feel 100x better, but sucks vibration wise. I bought it because it was supposed to keep the engine/trans more planted but not give off vibes too bad. Giving it a few more days before I swap it back out for my stock one, possibly with window weld in the gaps. I like everything about the car stock but the shifting, which is why I tried out a mount. Plans include a Mazdaspeed CAI and probably some other minor mods like tint and such. May lower it a bit also and paint the stock wheels. I've also thought about putting a boost gauge in the driver's vent and the Accessport when it's worth the money...(when the Streettuner software is released and they get rid of the boost/power limit in 1st and 2nd)

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
I have an 08.5 metro gray MS3. Don't even start with the :gay: commments, its a drat nice color. :colbert:

Right now I just have 15% tint all around (excluding windshield of course) but other than that I'm just stock. I'm looking at the Cobb SRI and downpipe, but I've been hearing about the broken battery bracket too much for the SRI so it makes me a little uneasy. As for the downpipe, I weighed it between them and CP-E. CP-E is cheaper, but I'm going high-flow cat anyways so it comes out to be the same.

I'll probably in the long run end up with an AP, so I figured I'd just stick with Cobb.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
Fast cars are supposed to vibrate, silly. It helps to intimidate the passengers.

How is the Accessport to use? Is it similar to a full blown laptop EMS system, or is it more like an OBD2 scanner that requires you to push the same button 50 times to do anything?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Frosty- posted:

After that, it's tires, and I want to talk about that too: It seems I've chewed through my RE050As in something like 12,000 miles. It's time for new tires and I'm looking for recommendations. Should I stick with the same tires, or are there grippier/quieter/longer-lived/cheaper/whatever tires out there that would work better for me? I'm thinking I want to move to 225/45 from the current 215/45s. Is there a significant benefit to this? I know at least it'll put the speedometer correct.

RE050As are terrible and as good as/slightly worse than new allseason tires. Going to 225/40 isn't a bad idea but seemingly at the absolute limit of what you can put on a 7" wheel.

I'm going to get a Dyson test done on Rotella 5W40 in a bit, hopefully around 4k miles so I can compare it to the M1 I had tested from before.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I've got an 07 Speed6 GT. I love it so far. It's totally stock, although Santa is supposed to be bringing me a downpipe...
I'm hoping I can save up enough cash to get an Accessport soon. The idea of being able to run all the way up to redline makes me giddy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Syd posted:

RE050As are terrible and as good as/slightly worse than new allseason tires.

Why do you say that? Anyone we've put those on at my shop has generally been pleased with the performance.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is it bad that my first thought upon looking at the thread title was 'hmmm which Lincoln is that again?'

Sorry guys

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Psylocibe posted:

Why do you say that? Anyone we've put those on at my shop has generally been pleased with the performance.

They're going on something like 6 or 7 years old now, one of the worst performing summer tires on tirerack.com's tests and flat out have no redeeming qualities. If you compare test times between any of the newer allseasons -- RE960s, P-Zeros etc you'll see the lap times, brake times and acceleration times are virtually identical.

They're old tires in an industry driven by innovation. Every year brings better tread patterns and better compounds.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Psylocibe posted:

+1. The only time my RE050As lose traction is when I stomp on the gas, and the pavements been dry when that happened. :crossarms:

Heck, if they weren't $215 each, I'd consider replacing mine once they wear down but thats $860 for four tires.. Ugh.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Sublime Process posted:

+1. The only time my RE050As lose traction is when I stomp on the gas, and the pavements been dry when that happened. :crossarms:

Heck, if they weren't $215 each, I'd consider replacing mine once they wear down but thats $860 for four tires.. Ugh.

lighter, better and cheaper tire with similar treadlife (although its not available in 215/45, only 225/40)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hey guys do I get to play?

I wish I had a turbo :(

In the Mazda crowd, my car is as Chunk is to the Goonies. I smell ice cream.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Hey guys do I get to play?

In the Mazda crowd, my car is as Chunk is to the Goonies. I smell ice cream.

Well, you've certainly had your share of the Mazda Curse. Also, a 5 with a turbo would be pretty loving AI.

How much larger is the MZR than the BP?

I'm not in the MZR club yet either...but the Mazdaspeed3 is on the short list of possible replacements for the Volvo. I've been trying to read up on them for some time but gently caress, every forum I find dedicated to them is just terrible. Are there any common failure points / things to look out for beyond the shifter feel?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Mine coughs when it's cold. Done that since new.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I think I would give a nut for a Mazdaspeed 5.
I've seen the magazine article where some group converted one, but I want one from the factory.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Doesn't the NC Miata have a non-trubo MZR? Do they get to join?

Do the truffle shuffle Chili

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
This is going to make me miss my MS3 but not the FWD. 2 weeks left!

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, you've certainly had your share of the Mazda Curse. Also, a 5 with a turbo would be pretty loving AI.

How much larger is the MZR than the BP?

I'm not in the MZR club yet either...but the Mazdaspeed3 is on the short list of possible replacements for the Volvo. I've been trying to read up on them for some time but gently caress, every forum I find dedicated to them is just terrible. Are there any common failure points / things to look out for beyond the shifter feel?

Some of the earlier ones had bum engine mounts that dropped the engine but it was a big recall for all of that afaik. The trannies might be dogged to poo poo, since half the people on the forum brag about flat shifting constantly.

The engine has pretty severe fuel dilution issues as well but it seems all direct injected engines, especially side injections, suffer from it. Meaning oil has to be changed often, every 3k isn't a bad idea it seems.

The windshield creaks and moans in the winter on some cars. And you can break into it by kicking the door a bit towards the engine near the door handle. Some turbos might have had bum/weak seals as well, but the jury is still out on that. Seems the seals are more than adequate unless you swap out the exhaust, in which case you might want to replace the seal as well. There's really nothing of note yet, i'm at 33k with no problems other than the engine mount recall. My windshield used to creak and moan but this winter it has stopped. The transmission is being extra lovely though and I really need to switch out tranny fluid.

As for the N/A - Turbo comparison, the turbo is a bit longer because of the fuel pump. Which is also noisey as poo poo, it basically sounds like it is making GBS threads valves.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Syd posted:

Some of the earlier ones had bum engine mounts that dropped the engine but it was a big recall for all of that afaik. The trannies might be dogged to poo poo, since half the people on the forum brag about flat shifting constantly.

Good to know, time to look for one owned by some sedate old man or something :v:

Syd posted:

The engine has pretty severe fuel dilution issues as well but it seems all direct injected engines, especially side injections, suffer from it. Meaning oil has to be changed often, every 3k isn't a bad idea it seems.

Every 3k, even with synthetics? That would be a bit annoying, I put enough miles on the daily driver (currently the Miata) that even on 6k intervals (ran a used oil analysis, turns out my 5k intervals were conservative) I'm doing it every few months.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Is it just the DISI MZR motors that have seen examples of excesive fuel contamination of the oil, or is it all MZR engines? My manual states 7,500 oilchange intervals, I was planning on going with 5000 cause it's a nice easy number to work with.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PurpleFender posted:

It does, but it's not the 2.3

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks
We just put some Kumho all-seasons on our MS6 to replace the stock summer tires. They're pretty good so far, but definitely not as grippy. :(

Goddamn snow.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Is it just the DISI MZR motors that have seen examples of excesive fuel contamination of the oil, or is it all MZR engines? My manual states 7,500 oilchange intervals, I was planning on going with 5000 cause it's a nice easy number to work with.

Just DISIs, it's a "thing" that direct injection engines suffer from. Gas gets injected in unburnt, miniscule amounts slip past and into the oil. Seems to be worse, as I said, with engines that inject from the side (read: basically everyone but GM) according to BITOG. Most of the Ecotec stuff seemed better against fuel dilution while Audi and Mazda seemed worse. Pure theory though, could be different now with more oil samples available to look at.

Also with BITOG, people have run it out to 6k but the fuel dilution starts getting high. Bad enough that it might not be a good long term (100k+ mile) thing.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

PurpleFender posted:

Yes but we don't get an AccessPORT. Mazda say they can't fit the 2.3 in the MX-5 because of the fuel pump. The only solution as I see it is a nuclear powered electric fuel pump.

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 24, 2008

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Syd posted:

Also with BITOG, people have run it out to 6k but the fuel dilution starts getting high. Bad enough that it might not be a good long term (100k+ mile) thing.

This kind of sucks since I get free oil changes at the 5k intervals. Hmm, maybe I'll have to check into it a bit more myself and maybe send a sample of the used oil.

Syd posted:

The windshield creaks and moans in the winter on some cars.

There's a TSB out there to put some isolators in there that cure the problem, mostly.

Another thing that sucks is that some of the head units were defective and the bass didn't really work correctly. Turn the volume up to 34 and then 35. You'll hear a huge difference if yours is hosed. Got that replaced under warranty though. Also one of my coolant lines came unhooked from the radiator support (likely from all the lovely engine shaking from the weak rear tranny mount) and got caught in the fan and pissed out a bit of coolant before I noticed it. (<0.5 gallon) Just some things to keep an eye on. Overall its a great, fun car to toss around, and toss stuff into. Yay practicality.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
mine only goes to 33 :(

Just get your oil checked, 5k might be fine but it seems like 7500 is a definite no-no.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
hey guys what's going on in this thread? :haw:

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
I have an 07 MS6 an I absolutely love it, the clutch was hard to get used to and occasionally still messes with me but I love the car. For me its the perfect mixture of daily driver and sporty. I can easily keep up with friends with faster cars like STI's and really look forward to mods that make it breathe better as that seems to be its weakness.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

joey deere posted:

Yes but we don't get an AccessPORT. Mazda say they can't fit the 2.3 in the MX-5 because of the fuel pump. The only solution as I see it is a nuclear powered electric fuel pump.

That seems like kind of a weak excuse, would they really have to do that much drat re-working to move a fuel pump? Is location that much more critical on DI engines or something?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

DreamOn13 posted:

It makes shifting feel 100x better, but sucks vibration wise. I bought it because it was supposed to keep the engine/trans more planted but not give off vibes too bad.
Yeah, I thought that was intended to keep the vibration down to stock-like levels. Does the rubber have some kind of break-in period that you have to sit through?

I always hear MS3 owners talk about the lovely shifting and how engine/transmission mounts help, but is it really that different from the MS6? In my fairly narrow view the MS6 shifts very gracefully.

quote:

Plans include a Mazdaspeed CAI and probably some other minor mods like tint and such.
I was under the impression the Mazdaspeed CAI was discontinued. If I were you I'd check out cp-e's parts. I have the Cobb SF myself, but those seem to be snapping bits off MS3s.

FlyingPotato posted:

How is the Accessport to use? Is it similar to a full blown laptop EMS system, or is it more like an OBD2 scanner that requires you to push the same button 50 times to do anything?
I quite like it. It's got a sort of music player-like interface. To do what I did and merely save the stock tune and upload a new one from the internet, it's basically like the second thing, but it has/will have some very trick companion software that allows the user to do pretty much anything.

Syd posted:

RE050As are terrible and as good as/slightly worse than new allseason tires. Going to 225/40 isn't a bad idea but seemingly at the absolute limit of what you can put on a 7" wheel.
I didn't realize the Potenzas were so outclassed. I've never had a problem with them, except that they're a little bit loud. As for tires, my summer wheels are 7.5, so 225s are go.

quote:

lighter, better and cheaper tire with similar treadlife (although its not available in 215/45, only 225/40)
At 177 apiece these are a lot cheaper than the stockers. Are there any other tires in this range I should consider?

quote:

I've been doing it every 5,000, and the manual says 7,500 works if the miles are mostly long highway trips. Every 3k is verging on annoying, to me. How serious is this problem? I never really see anyone talk about it except in offhand remarks.

I've been having huge internet troubles for the last four or five months so I suck at replies.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

So I came into more christmas money than expected, and I'm torn between getting a downpipe and intake, or an Accessport. I don't have the money for anything but the accessport if I go that route. So, which direction do you think I should go here?

The car in question is the '07 Speed 6.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Does a DP work well without a tune? I know the MS6 is finnicky.

I think Grip Garage is still selling the AP for 590ish until January. That'd be what I'd get first if I knew I was still getting the DP and such later on.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

That's kind of what I've been thinking. Plus, I may not always have enough cash laying around that I can buy an AP, but it's not nearly as hard to come up with $350 for a downpipe, or $200 for an intake.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Frosty- posted:

Yeah, I thought that was intended to keep the vibration down to stock-like levels. Does the rubber have some kind of break-in period that you have to sit through?
I always hear MS3 owners talk about the lovely shifting and how engine/transmission mounts help, but is it really that different from the MS6? In my fairly narrow view the MS6 shifts very gracefully.

Actually the mount has gotten a lot better. Not sure if it is because I installed it on a very cold day or just that it has "settled" or something, but there are hardly any noticeable vibrations now. Only took a couple days to get to this point, which is nice. I honestly thought about changing it out for the stocker in the first couple days.

Frosty- posted:

I was under the impression the Mazdaspeed CAI was discontinued. If I were you I'd check out cp-e's parts. I have the Cobb SF myself, but those seem to be snapping bits off MS3s.

It was, but I think they've gotten a new part number for it and redesigned it or something. Either way, all it really needs is the AEM airflow straightener (~$7) and it's good to go. I'll probably buy a used one cause I'm a cheap rear end and don't want anybody giving me poo poo at the dealer.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Frosty- posted:

What's that about? Better to just go with the Corksport SF intake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I've heard two different stories about intakes. One story is that they make a huge difference in power. The other is that they don't do poo poo but make the car sound better. So is it really worth spending $185 on a new intake? My car came with a K&N filter from the previous owner, if that means anything.