Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I've heard two different stories about intakes. One story is that they make a huge difference in power. The other is that they don't do poo poo but make the car sound better. So is it really worth spending $185 on a new intake? My car came with a K&N filter from the previous owner, if that means anything.

The stock air box is one of the great crimes against automotive humanity. If you take a good look at it you'll notice that the inlet bottlenecks down to something like a 1.5" diameter opening. It's just asinine.

Hagetaka posted:

That seems like kind of a weak excuse, would they really have to do that much drat re-working to move a fuel pump? Is location that much more critical on DI engines or something?

It's a mechanical pump driven off the cam, sorta like a diesel. Makes sense considering the challenges of fuel injection into a pressurized combustion chamber. It has to supply really pressure along with the volume.

Anyway, has anyone replaced the stock recirc valve? I hear they tend to leak boost. I'm not terribly concerned about the sound, but I hate to think that valuable power is just being wasted.

If anyone has gotten sick of their motor mount, sell it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Are there any throttle response upgrades for the normal non-Speed Mazda3? I really hate the delay programmed into the electronic throttle when I clutch in.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Yeah, I went out and took a good look and the intake is pretty horrendous. I guess an SRI is gonna be my next mod.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 30, 2008

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I've heard two different stories about intakes. One story is that they make a huge difference in power. The other is that they don't do poo poo but make the car sound better. So is it really worth spending $185 on a new intake? My car came with a K&N filter from the previous owner, if that means anything.
If the stock intake piping is quite restrictive it can make a reasonable difference. The difference between a K&N and a regular paper filter is practically nothing though. BITOG did a pressure drop test and found a 0.14% air flow improvement with a K&N over the worst paper filter.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I didn't figure it was worth a drat, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I understand the difference a good intake can make, and I know Mazda makes theirs horribly restrictive. I had just heard the two different sides and wondered if any of you had any experience with intakes on these cars. I've pretty much decided that I'll get one next.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So is there anything at all I can do to make my Mazda 5 faster? Because you know I have to get the kids to soccer practice faster. It's got an MZR engine, anyone have a comprehensive list of the differences between it and the DISI turbo motors? Other than the DISI and turbo, obviously?

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 30, 2008

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I really like my Cobb intake. I can't say that I felt any added power with my rear end, but you can just tell you're doing a good thing when you see the diabolical contraption you pull out to make room.

trouser chili posted:

So is there anything at all I can do to make my Mazda 5 faster? Because you know I have to get the kids to soccer practice faster.
RPM says you can buy a horrible K&N tube for a lot of money. It wouldn't surprise me if something like the Cobb SF fits your car's rubber bits, but you'd have to make your own mounting bracket. Then you'd have the wooshiest Mazda5 around.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well, I ordered my Accessport from Grip Garage yesterday. Thanks again for the heads up on that Frosty-. I got it in just before the price went back up.
Now if it would only get here tomorrow like he said. I want it before I leave town for new years!
BTW, Kevin at Grip Garage was a super friendly, helpful guy. I had problems paying with my debit card, and he was very patient with me. So seriously, thanks for the heads up. Someone else might not have been as friendly.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 30, 2008

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Well, I ordered my Accessport from Grip Garage yesterday. Thanks again for the heads up on that Frosty-. I got it in just before the price went back up.
Now if it would only get here tomorrow like he said. I want it before I leave town for new years!
BTW, Kevin at Grip Garage was a super friendly, helpful guy. I had problems paying with my debit card, and he was very patient with me. So seriously, thanks for the heads up. Someone else might not have been as friendly.

It's nice to have an alternative to Protege Garage. Those guys are complete hacks.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Tripped across this on mazdas247.com. Some of you suffering from a fuel-cut at high RPMs on cold mornings may benefit. I know I've been seeing it on occasional on-ramp WOT trips. I may try it. If I do, I'll post pictures and a writeup.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

As alluded to in that post, Cobb has maps with the cold weather fix included for those with an AP.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
^^What he said.

cp-e has nuked the fuel cut algorithm entirely and Cobb has shoved the triggers way back in their OTS maps.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

OK, so Cobb says to go one step colder on the spark plugs. I'm going to have to order the Densos. If I shorten the gap on the stock plugs and run the Stage 1 map for a bit, is it going to blow my engine up? I can't get the Densos anywhere locally, and I'd like to try out the AP this week.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

joey deere posted:

If the stock intake piping is quite restrictive it can make a reasonable difference. The difference between a K&N and a regular paper filter is practically nothing though. BITOG did a pressure drop test and found a 0.14% air flow improvement with a K&N over the worst paper filter.

BITOG may know about oil, but I value real world testing over lab stuff. I know I, as well as a few thousand other people, picked up 2mph and 2 tenths in the quarter as well as gaining 2mpg with a K&N in my Mustang GT.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

BITOG may know about oil, but I value real world testing over lab stuff. I know I, as well as a few thousand other people, picked up 2mph and 2 tenths in the quarter as well as gaining 2mpg with a K&N in my Mustang GT.

Just the filter, or the whole intake? I know on the LT1 F-body, the filter alone in the stock airbox was worthless, but the whole FIPK was worth its weight in gold.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

FlyingPotato posted:

How is the Accessport to use? Is it similar to a full blown laptop EMS system, or is it more like an OBD2 scanner that requires you to push the same button 50 times to do anything?

The AP is an on-the-fly map changer with some added bits of flair and style. It can read codes easily enough, give you a ton of engine statistics, and change maps, but no actual tuning can be done with it. It only just flashes maps.

The COBB proTuner software is the only way to tune a COBB acessPort map, and proTuners are hard to find because COBB only allows one or two licenses per major market for no good reason.

If you're going to get tuned and don't need to switch maps often, go opensource.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

If I shorten the gap on the stock plugs and run the Stage 1 map for a bit, is it going to blow my engine up? I can't get the Densos anywhere locally, and I'd like to try out the AP this week.
I didn't even bother. I'm running a Stage 1+SF map with the stock plugs in while I wait for the Denso plugs to arrive and it's fine. It stutters a little bit but nothing else.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I ordered some Delco Iridium plugs in the correct heat range from the local O'Reilly. They're half the price of the densos, so if they suck I won't feel lovely about throwing them away. Well, LESS lovely.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

joey deere posted:

The difference between a K&N and a regular paper filter is practically nothing though. BITOG did a pressure drop test and found a 0.14% air flow improvement with a K&N over the worst paper filter.
I see a lot of people saying that K&N filters are terrible, but what do those people consider the best filter?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

GoblinBomb posted:

I see a lot of people saying that K&N filters are terrible, but what do those people consider the best filter?

It's academic, because whether or not you're a dedicated modder you MUST yard out that abomination and replace it with a cone-filtered SRI or CAI. To leave the stock airbox in place is a big mistake IMO, since the stock setup is a huge performance and mileage killer. I gained 3 MPG doing my backyard DIY SRI.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just the filter, or the whole intake? I know on the LT1 F-body, the filter alone in the stock airbox was worthless, but the whole FIPK was worth its weight in gold.

Just the filter. The cold air intake itself didn't do anything but make the filter incredibly hard to check (in the fenderwell behind the liner).

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Kynetx posted:

It's academic, because whether or not you're a dedicated modder you MUST yard out that abomination and replace it with a cone-filtered SRI or CAI. To leave the stock airbox in place is a big mistake IMO, since the stock setup is a huge performance and mileage killer. I gained 3 MPG doing my backyard DIY SRI.

You mention a backyard SRI. I've read a little about air straighteners being necessary for some reason. Did you use one? I'm curious about the details of how you made the SRI, if you don't mind sharing.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
Credo quia impossibile est
Has no one considered the cp-e StandBack?

Just curious as to why those with the accessports chose Cobb over the cp-e Standback. Its an eternal debate over at various Mazda boards on the web so I am wondering what the general idea is on these forums.

(I own a Mazda3)

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I got the AP because all the cool kids have them :cool:

Seriously though, I know of the AP from the Subaru world and they seem to be pretty well regarded. I didn't know anything about CP-E. Plus I got a good deal on the AP.
Which Mazda boards are you reading? I can't seem to find any good ones.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

You mention a backyard SRI. I've read a little about air straighteners being necessary for some reason. Did you use one? I'm curious about the details of how you made the SRI, if you don't mind sharing.

Air straighteners are not required on an SRI - because once the air gets sucked in through the filter and by the time it travels the very short distance to the MAF sensor - there is no need for controlling the air flow.

Most important thing is the MAF housing - that needs to be a precise diameter - thats what the MAF sensor was set up for - changing the size of that, changes the tables and throws off the maps in the ecu (like with the Mazdaspeed CAI that was recalled). The other important thing is the air straightener - but only in the case of a CAI.

(I know cobb has an air straightener on their SRI, and cp-e ended up putting one in there as well just because cobb had one. But even if cobb had it - that doesn't mean its necessary)

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I got the AP because all the cool kids have them :cool:

Seriously though, I know of the AP from the Subaru world and they seem to be pretty well regarded. I didn't know anything about CP-E. Plus I got a good deal on the AP.
Which Mazda boards are you reading? I can't seem to find any good ones.

Mazda3Forums.com and Mazdaspeedforum.org

The mazdaspeedforums is all mazdaspeed obviously - its a good and informative forum, but relatively new - and the owner, and his pawns on the forum are heavily biased towards Cobb.

The mazda3forums, has a mazdaspeed section - which is, in my opinion a little better balanced, but the other forum might be abit more informative.

Either way - I look at both, as both have their ups and down and occasionally a fair share of drama.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

essequamvideri posted:

Has no one considered the cp-e StandBack?
The StandBack seems to be used mostly by guys building dyno queens who want big horsepower and don't mind exploding engines. The AP is a far better solution for a more casual application with the availability of free OTS maps. Also the AP is cheaper, ultimately, than the SB and the FC flash and the PnP majigger and whatever else is necessary.

quote:

Its an eternal debate over at various Mazda boards on the web so I am wondering what the general idea is on these forums.
There are huge faggots driving that "debate" out there at mazda6club and mazdaspeedforums.org and I hate them. Around here there will be no militancy, although I do prefer the AP because I think it suits me.

quote:

(I own a Mazda3)
And don't you work for cp-e, too?

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

Frosty- posted:

The StandBack seems to be used mostly by guys building dyno queens who want big horsepower and don't mind exploding engines. The AP is a far better solution for a more casual application with the availability of free OTS maps. Also the AP is cheaper, ultimately, than the SB and the FC flash and the PnP majigger and whatever else is necessary.
There are huge faggots driving that "debate" out there at mazda6club and mazdaspeedforums.org and I hate them. Around here there will be no militancy, although I do prefer the AP because I think it suits me.
And don't you work for cp-e, too?

Hah yes I do - as of not that long ago.

Currently working on getting the Standback on the regular Mazda3 cars (I have one on mine)

The arguments about the Cobb vs. cp-e - indeed are lead by immature, ignorant and biased people. The application for these products is the same - but more importantly, its defined by how far you want to go and how much you want to make.

For true plug and play and simplicity (with the latest maps) - one goes with Cobb (like yourself).
For all out tunability and control - cp-e.

There are alot of people tripping over details - and forgetting about the bigger picture - the product itself and wether or not they need it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

It seems like if you wanted a stand alone system that lets you manage every single detail and has an awesome support network you would just go with something proven like the F.A.S.T. XFI, Big Stuff 3, Motec, etc...

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I don't have time at the moment, but I did a thread that's probably in the archives. I'll see if I can dig it up later.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well, I got my AP last night and I must say, I'm very happy with the Stage 1 map. Next up is the intake.

Is 30 mpg on the highway about on par with you other MS6 guys?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

The AP says 35mpg at 60 and ~30 at 65-70 but I don't buy it. I haven't gone through a whole tank of normal driving since I uploaded the new map, but stock I struggled to hit 25 freeway.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Found it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2900850

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

GoblinBomb posted:

It's not K&N specifically. I should have said cotton/foam filter. K&Ns actually filter better than the AMSOIL foam filters, and they are easier to maintain. Paper filters better, cotton/foam flows slightly better. That applies regardless of which brand the filter is. In the case of the MS3 changing the intake piping will make much more of a difference.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Thanks Kynetx for digging up that thread. I remember reading it back when you posted it, but I just didn't put two and two together.
It looks interesting, but I think I may go ahead and plop down the money for the Cobb SRI. I don't have an extra airbox to hack up, and I don't really have all the tools I'd need. Didn't you say you're running the Stage 1 SF map with that?

Raganti
Sep 25, 2007
I AM TO CHEAP TO BUY AN ACCOUNT!
'04 Mazda6 checking in (non-turbo, auto :() Got 46k miles on it and loving it. I'd take a picture but it's covered with snow. (again)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Another oil question, especially for the turbo folk: What grade and brand of oil are you running?

I ran some numbers and realized that I'm a lot closer to owning a MS3 than I thought at first :v:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Thanks Kynetx for digging up that thread. I remember reading it back when you posted it, but I just didn't put two and two together.
It looks interesting, but I think I may go ahead and plop down the money for the Cobb SRI. I don't have an extra airbox to hack up, and I don't really have all the tools I'd need. Didn't you say you're running the Stage 1 SF map with that?
No problem. I kinda did it on a lark since I had the parts laying about. I'm still using it. I'm getting cold-weather fuel cut like everyone else with a modified intake. I guess the factory air box had some heating effect. Whatever. I'm still using the stock tuning, and I don't think it's enough of a modification to require a custom map, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did benefit from one. Next mod is motor mount inserts and then a better recirc valve and that should take care of the factory idiocy.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Another oil question, especially for the turbo folk: What grade and brand of oil are you running?

I'm about to do my first DIY oil change on mine and I picked up a 6-pack of Castrol Syntec blend in 10-30 range (I think). I also got a Napa Gold 7203 filter, though it seems small to me. Guess We'll find out.
I know that Mazda recommends a blend (which is why I went with it) but I haven't read anyone complaining about problems with straight synthetic.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 6, 2009

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Kynetx posted:

I'm still using the stock tuning, and I don't think it's enough of a modification to require a custom map, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did benefit from one.
Youre right; Cobb's latest OTS maps kill the cold weather cut, and cp-e removed the ECU's ability to do it at all.

quote:

I know that Mazda recommends a blend (which is why I went with it) but I haven't read anyone complaining about problems with straight synthetic.
I've heard Mazda is recommending all dino now, instead of the blend.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Frosty- posted:

I've heard Mazda is recommending all fino now, instead of the blend.
Dino? Really?