Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of poo poo in other forums about these cars...what the hell is the deal with grounding the throttle body? Do people really think it's insufficiently electrically grounded or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Supposedly this boosts throttle response by cutting whatever lag there may be between your foot and the TB actually taking action. Jerks do it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But, isn't the actuator grounded through its connection to the harness? I mean, GM uses lots of drive-by-wire setups and a lot of the cars I can think of have plastic intake manifolds, with no specific ground wire for the throttle body.

I mean at least the coolant bypass I understand the point of and 'get', even if it is of limited benefit at best.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Grounding the throttle body is retarded. I just did a quick search and the first guide I found started with "Well.. This mod is to ground your throttle body and basically get rid of all the static which lies within it.". I'd like to know what static they are referring to. We use 1.5 sq mm earth to ground all our signal cables, and that's overkill. If DBW could be made smoother and less laggy by adding a couple of dollars worth of copper wire, don't you think OEMs would be doing it?

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 19, 2009

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

joey deere posted:

If DBW could be made smoother and less laggy by adding a couple of dollars worth of copper wire, don't you think OEMs would be doing it?
If [some improvement] could be made to a car at the cost of a couple dollars wouldn't manufacturers already be doing that? Not necessarily, if those dollars add up to several hundred million down the road.

This is not to say that there's any improvement to be had, here. There is no lag that I've been able to detect, and these cars have a long and storied enmity with smoothness that goes far deeper than whether the throttle body is grounded extra-good. I figure people do it because it's easy and it costs them a handful of change, and they can feel good about themselves for having done it.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Frosty- posted:

If [some improvement] could be made to a car at the cost of a couple dollars wouldn't manufacturers already be doing that? Not necessarily, if those dollars add up to several hundred million down the road.
A couple of dollars is what it'd cost us, with relatively expensive Australian made cable (even that's a pretty high estimate). An automotive OEM using thinner cable, buying in bulk, you're probably talking a few cents.

The biggest problem with this "mod" is that I've been searching around and I can't find anybody with a valid explanation for why this should make any difference. You may as well throw a Cyclone fuel saver on while you're at it.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Well it's exactly the same thing.

It's just a completely brain-dead kind of "mod" you can do without making any effort or understanding anything, or spending any money, and it makes the kind of person who wants to avoid making effort or learning or spending feel great that they're totally customizing their whip.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well, I got my early birthday present the other day. I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, my kid decided to play with the digital camera and he forgot where he put it. Here's a stock image though.

Click here for the full 800x441 image.

Corksport's downpipe for Mazdaspeed 6.

The instructions for installation were 24 pages long. That includes a bunch of images, though. The removal of the stocker took FOREVER. Getting the stock downpipe out was a real bitch, even after pulling the motor mount and rocking the engine forward. Then getting the downpipe to bolt up to the catalytic converter took forever. We eventually had to cut half of the springs off of the bolts to be able to bolt it up. Corksport says they are addressing that problem and revising the design.
We finished up at about 2 am. I drive the 2 blocks from my friend's house to my house and go to sleep. The next morning I flashed to the Stage2+SF map and go for a drive. I notice a horrible banging noise when shifting or decelerating in gear. I can feel it through the seat at times. I look under the hood, and there is almost no clearance between the divorced wastegate pipe and the driveshaft tunnel. After calling Corksport, they told me to loosen the downpipe to turbo nuts, and loosen the downpipe to catalytic converter bolts, and have someone pulling down on the downpipe while I tighten everything up, to give more clearance. We did that, and noticed that to the naked eye, it didn't do poo poo to add more clearance. However, I took a drive and noticed no more banging or grinding. Derrick at Corksport was ready to ship me a new downpipe, and called me back several times to check back with me to make sure it wasn't rubbing. As I was typing this, he called for a final time.
So, after that wall of text, here's the trip report. The throttle response is vastly improved. I've sort of had to relearn how to take off from a stop because it revs so much faster that I have to give it less gas. It pulls harder and goes almost to redline. The short ram intake and Accessport help that, as well. All in all, it runs quite a bit better than stock. I can't wait to get it to a track and get some times.
So overall it's positive. The design could be a little better. The divorced wastegate pipe may be good for performance, but it gives very little clearance between the pipe and driveshaft tunnel.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
just posting because im pissed off that the driver side controls on my MS6 for the passenger side front and back windows stopped working. I can use the passenger side controls though so at least its not the motors or something. Ill take it in later this week.

But also wondering if people can give me their opinions on the Cobb SRI.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I have one for the 3, it's nice and installs well enough. You can take the vacuum line off the intake though which makes it a billion times easier to install. Unfortunately Cobb's instructions never said poo poo about that and I hate to cut up the stock accordion tube to peel it off.

I also put on an Amsoil paper filter (p/n EAAU4560-EA) so in theory it'd filter near as well as the stock filter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bumping because my MS3 has an odd problem which it will see the dealer for on Tuesday - the door ajar light will randomly flicker at varying rates even when all doors are closed. Oddly it does not cause the dome light to flicker in the slightest. Sometimes the door ajar light will light up solid for a few minutes at a time, but even then if I open a door, the dome light will come on as normal and go out after I shut the door - while the indicator on the panel is still lit.

It will flicker mostly over bumps so it's clearly a loose connection somewhere. The only other thing it affects is the power locks / alarm. If it thinks a door is open, it won't let me lock with the remote. If I lock the doors with the remote (alarm armed) and the connection decides to report a false door open even with the car shut off, the alarm goes off.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Corksport's downpipe for Mazdaspeed 6.
Woohoo, I just ordered their catback! A downpipe would have been smarter and cheaper but I guess I'm a closet ricer because wanted the noise immediately, and I'm willing to wait on a real HP bump.

I'll take lovely iPhone pictures of myself fumbling through the installation.

Captain Cannabis posted:

just posting because im pissed off that the driver side controls on my MS6 for the passenger side front and back windows stopped working. I can use the passenger side controls though so at least its not the motors or something. Ill take it in later this week.
Hold down the switches on the doors themselves until the windows go all the way down and you hear a little click, and then hold up on the switches until they go all the way back up and click again. Your driver-side window console should work again. Hold down past the one-touch detents in each direction. Did you disconnect your battery or something?

quote:

But also wondering if people can give me their opinions on the Cobb SRI.
I have the Cobb SRI and inlet pipe and they're both great. I'll probably move to the Corksport FMIC eventually, but in the interim these are fantastic.

The noise alone is worth the fairly low price of the SRI, but it also makes a noticeable difference in the car's power delivery, especially if you use a new map with the AP. I'll get a custom tune eventually, but the OTS maps are pretty great considering that they're free.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 16, 2009

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition

Captain Cannabis posted:

The driver side switch is rather picky on my 3, sometimes it works other times it doesn't, but when it doesn't work, all it takes is for me to pull up on the driver switch and fiddle with the passenger switch a couple times and it works. Mazda says it isn't under warranty so it's been like that for months with no change for better or worse.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Well, I put the Corksport catback on today. It took quite a while, but I had a lot of trouble with the hangers and really wasn't able to get comfortable under the car.

The sound is very close to perfect, but it does tend to drone loudly off-throttle under 2000rpm, so basically when coming to a stop. I was so tired when I finished putting it on that I didn't bother doing anything but park it in the garage and eat something while staring at the internet, but I don't expect a large performance difference. Still the same old downpipe, still the same old cat, but at least the noise is impressive.

My brother helped me a ton and let me use his driveway which is level, so I owe him a lot of beer or something. He noticed that it seems to leak where the first piece of the new exhaust mates up to the catalytic converter, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. Those nuts are on there tightly, and I seriously doubt that tightening them more would fix the leak anyway, since it leaks at the top and the nuts secure it on the sides.

It also rattles, but I assume I can pinpoint where it does that later, and then just bend a hanger arm a small bit to move the pipes out of the way. There's a good chance it's vibrating up against the little plastic bit under the spare wheel well, so I might just trim the edge of that with a knife or something.

Conclusion: I definitely need the CS downpipe and some kind of high-flow cat. Running the car with the stock exhaust removed sounded great, if loud, and just like the full turbo-back videos on YouTube, so that's definitely on my list. I'd want the rest of the pieces even if that didn't mean I could move to a stage 2 map for more zoom.

Some lovely pictures:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The old exhaust is in fine shape, so I just boxed it up and tossed it in the garage.

New and shiny.

I had the car up on 2 jackstands and chocked with bricks. I'm sure I could have died somehow, but it seemed fairly solid to me.

You can barely see the new exhaust in this shot. Corksport changed their tips from circular to oval so they'd match the stock beauty rings better.

I ate a fudgesicle. In my hand there you can see the bolt I had to buy at the hardware store because CS mailed me 7 of the necessary 8.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
May I ask about non-MZR motors in here? I really like the Protege 5's handling, looks and interior and I read somewhere else in AI that the motor is the same between the turbo (FS-DET) and nonturbo (FS-DE) Protege sedans.

How hard is a turbo swap into a Protege 5? I've seen the turbo kit on the Mazdaspeed website, but it doesn't seem like that kit comes with anything else I need (manifolds, intercooler, oil lines). I haven't been able to find any prepackaged plumbing kits, but I haven't been looking very hard - I'll have to phone up my local turbo install shop and get a quote if I decide to go ahead with this, although it looks like buying a (probably high miles) used P5 and installing the turbo kit will be as much or more as a used bugeye WRX. Pretty much all the examples I can find have their (metric) odometers in the low six digits.

It doesn't look like the engine block/head on the 5 and the sedan is any different.

If anyone here has actually done the swap, what's the driveability like? I don't want huge monster horsepower - something like 50-60 extra horsepower and the ability to tune it would be enough to keep me very happy with the car. I was under the impression that the MSP is kind of uninspiring, but I'd prefer a small speed boost to torque-steer craziness.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 23, 2009

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Hey Frosty, looks good. I would advise against the CS downpipe. I really had a problem with fitment, and there's no flex pipe. It's more expensive, but I think I'd go with something like the CP-e piece. The addition of the flex pipe and cat would make it worth the extra cost, IMHO. That being said, Derrick at Corksport was nothing but helpful every time I called, and offered to send me a new downpipe at no charge. He said there was a revision that helped the downpipe bolt on easier to the catalytic converter so maybe that would have helped. I don't know. It's a moot point now anyway, the downpipe is someone else's problem just as soon as the dealership can sell it. If anyone in the Texas panhandle, or points nearby, mine is going for $16,500 or so.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How hard is a turbo swap into a Protege 5?
If you're really down to a decision between a modded P5 and a WRX, my advice is just to buy the Subaru. It just seems like too much work without enough payoff to mess with the Protege. The quickest way to get what you want is probably just to yank the engine from a Mazdaspeed Protege and claim your mission accomplished. I'm sorry I can't offer you any specific information on modifications and stuff, but I don't think the Protege is considered by very many people to be an easily-enhanced vehicle, so it doesn't get a lot of attention.

My uncle owns one and he thinks it's fantastic. My mother owns a WRX wagon and she thinks that's fantastic. I kind of hate them both (the cars,) but that's not really relevant.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Hey Frosty, looks good. I would advise against the CS downpipe. I really had a problem with fitment, and there's no flex pipe.
The Corksport parts are fairly notorious for fitment issues and leaks and such. I'm willing to endure that since it really only boils down to a question of wasted time. I think before I bother with a DP, however, I should figure out a way to raise the car up higher. We inflicted a lot of damage on ourselves which I blame on the available space being too narrow.

quote:

It's more expensive, but I think I'd go with something like the CP-e piece. The addition of the flex pipe and cat would make it worth the extra cost, IMHO.
Yeah, I wrestle with that. The cp-e stuff is obviously nicer to work with and impeccably made, but the Corksport stuff is substantially cheaper, and everyone seems to agree that the CS flows better. Plus, that divorced wastegate pipe is so sexy.

The only thing I wonder about is the cats. I'm 99% certain that Corksport sold a catted TBE on their website before the redesign, and now it's not there. The point is that I know I can meet emissions requirements with a Corksport setup, but I'm not sure how since it's not a dropdown menu on a website anymore. I'll probably call them and ask.

I kind of want to call them up and make them mail me that bolt that they owe me, but I'd feel kind of silly going to the trouble, and making them go to the trouble, just to get something I don't strictly need at this point, anyway. Maybe I can get an extra one when I order the DP.

quote:

He said there was a revision that helped the downpipe bolt on easier to the catalytic converter so maybe that would have helped.
This interests me. I like the revised catback I got, which I believe they've had available for a while. The new tips fit much better and look nicer. If they've tweaked the DP so it fits more easily than their reputation, that can only be good.

quote:

It's a moot point now anyway, the downpipe is someone else's problem just as soon as the dealership can sell it.
And I'm jealous. Your new car is so fly.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

The divorced wastegate is sexy alright, but it's the part that was contacting the driveshaft tunnel, if I'm using the right terms. The pipe was a little too long, so I had trouble bolting it up to the catalytic converter. I ended up having to cut the springs in half, and then it still barely fit. There was no play between the DP and cat whatsoever. I think that's part of why I had so much trouble with it bumping when the engine moved. It either needed more room to move at that junction, or better yet, a flex pipe.

Here's the clearance issue I'm talking about with the divorced wastegate pipe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

How did you even get that picture?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I didn't have my camera, so I used my phone. A friend held a shop light while I stuck my arm down there with the phone. There's a ton of room with the aftermarket DP compared to the factory with the cat in the middle.
That is SUCH a bitch to remove, by the way.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

I've always thought it was kind of strange that the wastegate piping re-enters the main exhaust at this crazy angle close to 90 degrees. I've always wondered why it didn't do so more gradually, and now I can see that the steep angle also results in the whole apparatus being larger in the available space than it needs to be. Now I'm double-baffled.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Well I can't deny the results. The downpipe freed up a lot of power. But from a packaging standpoint, I think they could have done better. But, they're half the price so I guess you get what you pay for.
As far as that missing bolt, I'd call Corksport. Derrick was nothing but helpful every time I called, and I called lots of times.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
For the MS3, I've heard that if you have a Cobb inlet mounted with the SRI it reduced movement and, due to the silicone inlet, allows a little flex - which in turn makes it "impossible to break the bracket."

Any truth or validity to this? Has anyone got an inlet and sri with no broken brackets?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

That might be true, but I'm skeptical. In the cars that have broken the mounting point (they break the car; the bracket is extremely tough) the engine is moving around violently. The amount of give necessary to make that no longer an issue would have to be pretty major.

If Cobb says it, believe it. If it's some hopeful speculation by forum goers, ignore.

At this point, Corksport and CP-E are the guys you should be looking at. The AP is great, but Cobb struggled with the hard parts (moreso for the MS6 than MS3,) and now they've taken an indefinitely long vacation from design and production.

dotS4snare
May 14, 2007
I'm hoping maybe you all can give me some info. I'm very interested in buying a new MS3 now that I have graduated college and I'm into the full-time career bit. I've got a couple questions regarding purchase and ownership of the MS3.

First, I really dig the seats in the GT, but willing to go Sport as well, depending on loan and purchase price. What have you guys been paying, if you're willing to tell? I'm not interested in many options, I've already got a nice GPS, and I'm not worried about satellite radio, so that takes out the most expensive options.

Second, between commuting to work, teaching a high school marching percussion program 3 days a week after work, and gigging 2 or 3 times a month plus rehearsals with the band, I put a lot of miles on cars. Like, after my Chrysler's transmission died, I began driving the extra family car 3.5 weeks ago, and have put almost 1900 miles or so on it. Is the MS3 a good daily driver? Am I going to eat through tires in 17,000 miles? Am I retarded for wanting a powerful turbo 4 for daily driving?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sorry I cannot comment on the above. The MS6 has proven to be a sweet DD vehicle for me, but I don't put on quite so many miles.

When I start the MS6 up when it is cold it revs up to like 2100 RPM or thereabouts for about 20 - 30 seconds then slowly calms down. Is this normal ?

The vehicle feels like it "hauls rear end" quite a bit more as the engine is warming up. It warms up to half way up the temp gauge pretty quickly, within a few minutes most of the time, but before it gets there and for a while after it arrives, if you are rolling from a stop in first and keep it until 3500 RPM it just takes off. Not that that is the best thing to do with the cold motor but it certainly goes.

Vehicle is stock but the dealership people I have absolutely no trust in, as I found that the coupling between the intercooler and the turbo was not properly bolted (as in the pipe clamp had slid down somewhere) causing a loss of boost and a stupid whistling honk noise. Also my battery cables were not at all tightened to the terminals. I don't know how that wasn't an issue. Anything to look at in particular or just that is how it is...

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Partycat posted:

When I start the MS6 up when it is cold it revs up to like 2100 RPM or thereabouts for about 20 - 30 seconds then slowly calms down. Is this normal ?
Yep.

quote:

Vehicle is stock but the dealership people I have absolutely no trust in, as I found that the coupling between the intercooler and the turbo was not properly bolted (as in the pipe clamp had slid down somewhere) causing a loss of boost and a stupid whistling honk noise. Also my battery cables were not at all tightened to the terminals. I don't know how that wasn't an issue. Anything to look at in particular or just that is how it is...
Just bail on the dealership entirely and do everything yourself. Every time I've let someone else touch my car it comes back more hosed up than when it left, and when I need help they're useless anyway. Charging me 100 bucks to tell me they can't figure out why my suspension clunks, but come back some other time and they'll check again is real awesome.

gently caress. The. Dealership. And stay away from everyone else, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Partycat posted:

The vehicle feels like it "hauls rear end" quite a bit more as the engine is warming up. It warms up to half way up the temp gauge pretty quickly, within a few minutes most of the time, but before it gets there and for a while after it arrives, if you are rolling from a stop in first and keep it until 3500 RPM it just takes off. Not that that is the best thing to do with the cold motor but it certainly goes.
Most cars will "cold start" in this way - I think the technical term is fast idle. Basically, the ECU is trying to figure out a good fuel/air equilibrium, so it starts off super rich and then chokes it down.

It's perkier because you're using more fuel - this is what a lot of performance mods for turbo (and otherwise) cars do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bumping because my MS3 has an odd problem

Self replying for an update. Initial diagnosis pointed at the hatch latch, which was backordered. A week later, they replaced it, tested it, and determined that wasn't it; next step was replacing the BCM (or some related part, I'm not 100% clear), which had to be overnighted. This also failed.

Somewhere between taking it home the second time and dropping it off at the dealer again today, it also lost the ability to open the hatch - temporarily. They did more testing and determined there's a short somewhere in the rear wiring harness, which will be two days out to get the parts in, so I'm in a Mazda5 loaner.

For what it's worth, though it is short a turbo, the 5 is a fantastic little people hauler.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Yargh, this exhaust is twisting my mind. It rattles occasionally on idle and I've been trying to iron that out. Because of this I've been keeping my eye on the tips and I swear to god it's moving backwards. The tailpipes are migrating ever so slowly rearward. How is this possible? If I push as hard as I can at any point on the pipes they barely move. What magic force is doing this?!

I can't understand why Corksport made the tips so long. They could have easily ended them early in the rings or even before the rings entirely and I'd not have to puzzle my way through this.

Question: The gaskets that came with the system aren't reusable, are they? My inclination is to take the whole thing off put it back on to see if I can adjust everything more easily off the car, but I have the suspicion that once I've tightened these things down, I have to get new gaskets if it's going to come apart again.

They're some kind of metal.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 30, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's perkier because you're using more fuel - this is what a lot of performance mods for turbo (and otherwise) cars do.
I wasn't aware that running retardedly rich was an easy way to make power :v:. I suppose the rest of your post is correct.

If anything the poster is experiencing lower IATs until the engine bay comes up to a constant operating temp.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

destructo posted:

I wasn't aware that running retardedly rich was an easy way to make power :v:
Are you kidding? It makes that burbling sound - that's good for like an extra 50 horsepower. 100 if it pops between gears. :v:

That was pretty stupid of me to say - obviously the ECU tweaks do a lot more than just throw more fuel at the problem. I hadn't thought about the intake temperature either. Duh.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 30, 2009

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Bit the bullet on an 07 MPS with 22000 km (13500 mi)
I can't wait to pick it up, but have to. At least until thursday the 9th :(

It is in pristine condition, but I hope the facelift for 10MY MPS' doesn't drop the value of my new baby straight away....

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

Bit the bullet on an 07 MPS with 22000 km (13500 mi)
I can't wait to pick it up, but have to. At least until thursday the 9th :(

It is in pristine condition, but I hope the facelift for 10MY MPS' doesn't drop the value of my new baby straight away....

I'm not sweating it personally; the '10 isn't any faster and doesn't add all that much (anything?) in the way of must-have gadgetry, and I much prefer the styling of the older model.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Took my car on a 200 km round trip jst to get it registered. Lovely to drive, just needs new tyres. I know nothing about tyres unfortunately, but I know I want to replace the RE050s with something better.

Was looking at Falken FK-452's, any experience with these?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

quote:

SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPES AFTER PROLONGED IDLE PERIODS

Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec CX7 2007-2008 000001 209008 P/D BEFORE 2/15/2008 MAZDA6 2006-2007 000001 999999 ALL MAZDASPEED6 MAZDA3 2007-2008 000001 880368 P/D BEFORE 2/6/2008 Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / BLACK SMOKE
ENGINE / MECHANICAL / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

Some customers may experience white/blue smoke from their exhaust pipes
after prolonged idle periods and/or while driving in traffic at very
slow speeds.

This condition may be the result of the turbo's oil supply not being
able to adequately drain out of the turbo during long idle periods.

Vehicles having this concern should be diagnosed using the following diagnostics procedure.
Repair Procedure

1. Confirm that the proper maintenance intervals have been performed.

2. With the engine at normal operating temperature, allow it to idle
for an extended idle period.

Caution:
Closely monitor the engine coolant to the assure the engine does not Overheat.

3. If smoke from the exhaust is present after the extended idle period,
take before pictures of the smoke, then change the oil and filter
using 5W/40 (synthetic). After the oil change, in order to burn off
the oil that remains in the exhaust system, perform the following:
start the engine, check for oil leaks, then let it idle for 10
minutes, after the 10 minute idle period, increase the RPMs to 3000
for 1 minute, repeat idle test to confirm that no smoke returns.

A: If the smoke returns, contact the Technical Assistance Hotline
(Select option #2 for Major Assembly Authorization) with the oil
change history information, to attain an authorization for a turbo
replacement.

B: If smoke DOES NOT RETURN after the repeat idle test, NO other repairs
are to be performed at this time. Explain to the customer that MAZDA
is currently working on an improved positive crankcase valve (PCV)
system to reduce the engine crankcase pressures to allow the turbo's
oil supply to drain from the turbocharger more efficiently This fix
will be available approximately within 90 days and at that time the
oil will be changed back to 5W-30 and the improved PCV system will be
installed

so looks like rotella is that much better as it is a ghetto fix for the smoking issue

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So they're designing a better PCV system? Sweet, I wonder if they'll be doing it as a recall or if we'll have to foot the bill.

I'd rather get it put on before the turbo smokes.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

I'm sure it won't be recall. Free fix for those who know the magic incantation while still under warranty, notfree for everyone else.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Can you get away without accessport with an intake and a catback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone else got the Mazdaspeed CAI with the AEM Dryflow filter? I washed mine for the first time today and holy crap it must have taken six hours to dry in the AZ heat. I couldn't quite get it bone dry until I threw it in the Miata which was baking in the sun. I think next time I might buy another filter to swap on instead of waiting forever.

Also I discovered that whoever put the CAI on used at least one hose clamp that was a bit too short - it failed while I was wiggling on the whole mess. They also never updated it with the AEM air straightener for the MAF. I don't have any problems but I figure if Mazda pulled the CAI and AEM updated it, I should go ahead and spend $15 to update it.