Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GWBBQ posted:

If $600 is in your budget, get the DJI Mini 2 Fly More kit (comes with 3 batteries, a case, and accessories) and the Litchi app. Litchi can make it automatically follow a moving subject while recording, just don't get too close, the last thing you want to do is risk taking propellers to the face. Your skater will probably be wearing sunglasses anyway, make sure they also wear gloves in case something goes wrong and they have to swat it away, but you should be flying above their head or a few feet to the side and be ready to pull up and away if it gets too close (practice this ahead of time with a spotter who will shout "cut!" if it gets too close). Chase shots are safer. Also note that in the US it's illegal to operate a drone from inside a moving vehicle unless you're licensed for it.

A bike and a GoPro or two with a handlebar mount for side or views and b roll, and a Manfrotto Magic Arm or other extension attached to the frame for low angles or closer shots without getting too close and tripping the skater should get you most of what you need. Grab a chunk of plastic (50 cent plates at Walmart work nicely) to tape onto the lowest part of the arm with some foam between the plate and the arm so you have some warning if it starts to scrape without trashing the arm. Again, keep off to the side for safety.

For filming, stick with the 180° rule while shooting and keep to one side while in motion; the exception would be if you want to show multiple angles in slow motion or split screen. For a drone shot, you could do a full circle as an establishing shot, either start with an overview of your filming area and circle the skater while spiraling down or start facing them and spiral up to show it. You could also circle them on foot or with a camera mounted to a bike for this. If you want ideas for shots or camera setup, I can sketch some out for you.

For audio, you can use the mics on the cameras, but I recommend also attaching a small audio recorder directly to the board or above the skater's ankle to get audio to mix in.

For editing, use a continuous shot as your primary track and cut away to different angles for focus. if you're not sure how to arrange it, add a metronome track to audio while you're editing it.

Tenterhooks posted:

RIDE Channel put out an absolutely brilliant series called In Focus nearly 10 years ago that covers a lot of the theory behind shooting and editing skate videos (and photos). Has contributions from some of the best in the biz. Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6127F57BA3448E57

Some of the tech will have changed since but it's still really informative.

Serious thanks for all the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

VorpalBunny posted:

Any LA area goons with an idea where to start?

not from LA, but i imagine there's gotta be storyboarding classes of some sort? you might run into the same problem of classes not being directed young enough, but that was the first thing i thought of in terms of skills to translate a story to visuals on a page.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would contact the teachers of the classes you find, and tell them about what you're dealing with and what your goals are. They might be willing to take on a young student, and even if they aren't, they'll know more about local resources than we will.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would contact the teachers of the classes you find, and tell them about what you're dealing with and what your goals are. They might be willing to take on a young student, and even if they aren't, they'll know more about local resources than we will.

CaptainViolence posted:

not from LA, but i imagine there's gotta be storyboarding classes of some sort? you might run into the same problem of classes not being directed young enough, but that was the first thing i thought of in terms of skills to translate a story to visuals on a page.

Thanks! I realized she doesn't write out her story before she draws, she just draws like a stream of consciousness. Maybe this is a good direction to help her focus on her story first before putting pencil to page.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

Thanks! I realized she doesn't write out her story before she draws, she just draws like a stream of consciousness. Maybe this is a good direction to help her focus on her story first before putting pencil to page.

I think it's more of a developing brain thing than a specific comic problem. If she was writing short stories they'd also likely be all over the place.

I don't have a ton to add but wanted to mention that my brother around this age was very similar and used to write pages and pages of stories and lore about the bugs in our sandbox and his first novel (not about bugs) just got published last year. It's great that your kid is into this kind of thing!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I wanna start using screentones in procreate - does anyone have a brush or brush pack they reccomend?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any iPad drawing app that has something similar to Aseprite's "Pixel Perfect" mode where a brush maintains 1-pixel width no matter how many pixels your brush crosses over? Like the bottom line in this example:

I make pixel art in Procreate right now and it's a huge pain in the rear end to do single-pixel lines, but I do most of my drawing in a physical location where I don't have access to a computer.

Edit: Found an answer: Pixaki.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 1, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As someone who is a computer toucher for a living, I've always been dreadfully bad at anything related to graphic design. Its sad because I have good ideas in my head, I just cant get them out in any kind of useful way.

Anyway, one thing that I've always struggled with in my limited Paint skills is copying one thing onto another. Say, for example, I'm trying to mock up a phone skin and I have a background selected and I want to add a logo to it. If I copy it over transparently, all the white in the logo is filled in by the colors behind it and it looks awful. Otherwise, I copy it over solidly and I get the white corners surrounding the round logo, and free drawing the edges and copying it that way also results in tragedy.

I installed GIMP but I dont know where to start. Looking at some tutorials, looks like layer masks might have something to do with what I'm trying to achieve? I dont know why I find image manipulation to be such a hard barrier.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

when I was pirating photoshop in the early 2000's I started with adding effects to text and then working from there. it seems like you have the conception you just don't know how the tool works. It seems like in the example you have you could have used the selection tool with rounded edges to removed the 90° corners from the image you copied over.

Then you can always use a blur tool on the edges of composited images, like your phone background, to makes seams less apparent.

But starting with Photoshop tutorials/gimp tutorials online, and maybe watching a 10 minutes tutorial on graphic design basics or something. It really depends on what you want to do.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Removing a white background might be a bad example because there are plenty of online tools that will do just that and they work really well, some easier than photoshop.

However that's not going to help you understanding transforming things and changing the perspective of objects. I agree just go on youtube and start trying to find tutorials, I imagine you will be able to find people teaching exactly what you are trying to learn.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

codo27 posted:

As someone who is a computer toucher for a living, I've always been dreadfully bad at anything related to graphic design. Its sad because I have good ideas in my head, I just cant get them out in any kind of useful way.

Anyway, one thing that I've always struggled with in my limited Paint skills is copying one thing onto another. Say, for example, I'm trying to mock up a phone skin and I have a background selected and I want to add a logo to it. If I copy it over transparently, all the white in the logo is filled in by the colors behind it and it looks awful. Otherwise, I copy it over solidly and I get the white corners surrounding the round logo, and free drawing the edges and copying it that way also results in tragedy.

I installed GIMP but I dont know where to start. Looking at some tutorials, looks like layer masks might have something to do with what I'm trying to achieve? I dont know why I find image manipulation to be such a hard barrier.

A lot of this is about getting comfortable with these settings when using magic wand:

I dunno what it looks like in GIMP but those options will likely be there. Try grabbing an image and playing with that stuff and seeing how it changes what you've selected.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Could anyone please help me find a very large (25"x30"/60cm/75cm) water color pad with one inch grids. I'm doing some custom battle mats for a table top RPG and I can't seem to find water color paper that is both very large and gridded.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I need a new flatbed scanner. I'm working with larger paper formats, B4 and maybe even a little bigger. I'm currently looking at the Plustek A3 Flatbed, which is around my ideal price point and seems a good size for what I need. Is this a good scanner? Is there something I should look out for? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good alternative or more affordable option? I'm mainly working with inks, watercolors and acrylics on thick paper.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there any iPad drawing app that has something similar to Aseprite's "Pixel Perfect" mode where a brush maintains 1-pixel width no matter how many pixels your brush crosses over? Like the bottom line in this example:

I make pixel art in Procreate right now and it's a huge pain in the rear end to do single-pixel lines, but I do most of my drawing in a physical location where I don't have access to a computer.

Edit: Found an answer: Pixaki.

...Huh. Anyone know if there's a way to do that in Photoshop?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

...Huh. Anyone know if there's a way to do that in Photoshop?

There's not a way to do it in Photoshop (that I am aware of), but if you do any kind of pixel art on a computer I can't recommend Aseprite enough, it's a one-time $20 purchase and is the best dedicated pixel art app around.

Pixaki has some annoyances (it defaults to only saving files to iCloud which if you're like me and never use iCloud/don't pay for it, leads to it occasionally eating files - particularly if I close the app without first returning to the main gallery menu) and doesn't have all of Aseprite's features, but it does have built-in dithering brushes and a pixel perfect mode which works with an apple pencil which has been a real game-changer for me :hellyeah:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 12, 2023

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anyone have a baby's first light table recommendation?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That Old Ganon posted:

Would anyone have a baby's first light table recommendation?

For tracing? Anything you'd see on Amazon with a usb power cable works fine.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VelociBacon posted:

For tracing? Anything you'd see on Amazon with a usb power cable works fine.
Bless

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I can vouch for the Amazon Basics light table.

Get the version that plugs into the wall. Don't buy a light table with a battery on Amazon. I did a lot of digging when trying to decide on a light table of my own, and found lots of reviews saying it just doesn't work, or amended reviews that were initially positive, but the battery very soon had issues.

My question is this: are there any decent art apps that aren't just Sketch or bound to subscription/microtransactions in the Android ecosystem?

I was talking about it in another thread, and realized that, while Sketch is capable, I still would like something that wasn't locked to 72 dpi jpgs for export, and was a bit more customizable.

I don't mind shelling out to buy a program, but subscriptions can go to hell. It's the one thing I'm real sore with Celsys about, really.

I've tried a lot of the more lauded ones (Tatsuyi Sketches, Artrage, etc) but still haven't found a really good fit.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good shadowbox display case brand? Something that won't just come apart. I want to make a display of the fossil sharks teeth I have found,.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
We moved into our house last year and have been slowly getting it together, but one thing that has been bugging us is trying to find a piece of art to go up above our ledge in our greatroom in between our windows. Thinking of something modern-ish, but we haven't really found anything. Any help on where we can be browsing? It is a big area, so we know it won't be super cheap, but not looking to spend crazy thousands of dollars either. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

fyallm posted:

We moved into our house last year and have been slowly getting it together, but one thing that has been bugging us is trying to find a piece of art to go up above our ledge in our greatroom in between our windows. Thinking of something modern-ish, but we haven't really found anything. Any help on where we can be browsing? It is a big area, so we know it won't be super cheap, but not looking to spend crazy thousands of dollars either. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

fyallm posted:

There's always the "paint a mural up there" option. If there's a piece of art that you like, you can grid it out and transfer it to a wall even if you don't have much artistic practice.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That is such an obvious suit of armor spot.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

fyallm posted:

Look for art and craft markets in your area

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

fyallm posted:

Hang a rug up. Turkish kilim's/gilim are usually pretty geometric. Might help with the acoustics too. Probably the cheapest way per sq/ft to get 'an art' that's handmade.
https://www.ecarpetgallery.com/us_en/southwestern-rugs/

Ghazni's are some of my favorites and the colors may be a little more subdued:
https://www.ecarpetgallery.com/uzbek-ghazni-rugs/

The 'tribal rugs' category on there also tend to be a bit more geometric with large scale patterns than what people often thing of with oriental rugs:
https://www.ecarpetgallery.com/us_en/tribal-rugs/

If you're into a more contemporary look and hate color well guess what they have something for that too:
https://www.ecarpetgallery.com/us_en/ivory-5x8-palas-denizli-area-rugs-375674

E: there's also an interior design thread in HCH

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 7, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's always the "paint a mural up there" option. If there's a piece of art that you like, you can grid it out and transfer it to a wall even if you don't have much artistic practice.

I didnt think about that, i will see what the SO says!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

dupersaurus posted:

Look for art and craft markets in your area

Been to a bunch of 'craft markets' and nothing worth it, just cricut folks

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I have a neon sign of a goat's head that would look nice in that area. A real conversation piece

Deadite fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 8, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Deadite posted:

I have a neon sign of a goat's head that would look nice in that area. A real conversation piece

No thanks

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deadite posted:

If you really want to sell that PM me

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah look for art fairs or art crawls in your area and buy art from an actual artist!

Failing that, Minted is one of the better straight to consumer places imo:

https://www.minted.com/art

I would do a large vertical stretched canvas, no frame if it were me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a thread for jewelry makers? I have a slightly silly question about casting something in gold but I haven’t been able to find the right thread for it

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Snowy posted:

Is there a thread for jewelry makers? I have a slightly silly question about casting something in gold but I haven’t been able to find the right thread for it

This one maybe, although the discussion is more gemstone focused typically - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894756

Sometimes it comes up in the metalworking thread as well (but it's really not the right thread for it) - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

armorer posted:

This one maybe, although the discussion is more gemstone focused typically - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894756

Sometimes it comes up in the metalworking thread as well (but it's really not the right thread for it) - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

I’ll check them out, thanks!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Since I know most people stick to their bookmarks, I'm going to spam the busier threads with a link to the CC feedback thread

Snowy posted:

I'd certainly welcome a thread like that!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Interested in fabricating some roller ball pen refills. I can't figure out where to source the tips. Anyone have an idea?

Not looking for a nib to connect to a pen housing. I have pretty tight requirements on total size for the refill, so I'm just looking for the part that carries the ball.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Snowy posted:

Hey! Yes the jewellery thread is a lot of gems but there are a few goldsmiths there who keep an eye on it. I’m one of them and cast almost every week in a variety of golds. If you have a question you can ask there or here :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Hey! Yes the jewellery thread is a lot of gems but there are a few goldsmiths there who keep an eye on it. I’m one of them and cast almost every week in a variety of golds. If you have a question you can ask there or here :)

Thanks Claes that’s very cool :) I’ll ask in the jewelry thread a little later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm looking to get started with oil painting but have a question in regards to paint thinner/brush cleaner. The room I will be painting in doesn't have any ventilation other than a window that I can open, is there a big difference in the use of turpentine vs lavender essence brush cleaner? Just trying to avoid breathing in a bunch of toxic fumes!