Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

IHeartBoobs posted:

What's the name of the painter who created minimalist geometric paintings, where most of the canvas was white, aside from numerous black lines which intersected to create squares which were sometimes colored in red or blue or yellow?
Long shot but there's a possibility you could have meant Theo van Doesburg - same movement, some stuff is similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Uziel posted:

Thanks. What about existing organizations? Say The Knights of Columbus had an internal council called "Knights of St. Patrick"? Is that available or would they have rights to that name?

This isn't legal advice, so, you know, if you get your rear end sued don't blame me, but my impression is that you could safely mention an existing organization in your book. Like "He's a member of the Elks, the Friars, and the Knights of St. Patrick" or "She's a Girl Scout." But if you wanted to set the plot within the inner workings of the organization or say anything derogatory about it, odds are your publisher would ask you to change it so nobody sues anybody.

Obviously people can and do set stories within public organizations (CIA, FBI, etc.) all the time, but I don't know that I've seen anything similar with a private organization. If you have juicy knowledge of the inner workings of some private organization, just change all the names and write that poo poo up.

Oh wait, but are you asking if you can just use "Knights of St. Patrick" for an entirely fictional organization and make no connections to the KOC? No, I don't think so. But there's like a million saints out there. Google for "saint of [thing in your plot]" and you'll come up with somebody fun.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I knew it would happen sooner or later. Cat jumped onto my palette, then ran around room. Any advise for getting oil paint of a carpet without damaging the carpet or working the paint into it more?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Illustrator question:

I'm making a map of a beach in Illustrator. I want to make a smooth transition from beach to ocean with a stroke along the shore but don't know how to do it. In Photoshop, I'd to it like this:

1. Select beach with magic wand tool.
2. Select / modify / expand (10px)
3. Fill selection with white, blur it and put it between ocean and beach layer.

Selecting a shape and enlarging it in Illustrator messes up the shape. I want to find the equivalent of the expand function in Illustrator.

I've attached a quick example of what I want made with Photoshop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sia
May 16, 2005
I'm fine, how are you?

Elijya posted:

I knew it would happen sooner or later. Cat jumped onto my palette, then ran around room. Any advise for getting oil paint of a carpet without damaging the carpet or working the paint into it more?

Kiss Off should work. I've tried it on my carpet and home and it worked well. There's some other kind of cleaner but I can't remember the name of it! It's pink and has a picture of the Mona Lisa on it.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Ringo R posted:

Selecting a shape and enlarging it in Illustrator messes up the shape. I want to find the equivalent of the expand function in Illustrator.

Object > Path > Offset Stroke

If you wanted to smooth the transition between the ocean and sand, I'd copy the ocean shape, delete all points except for the shoreline where the two meet, change the fill to a stroke of your desired width, blur it and place it above the ocean and sand. Alternatively, you can also tweak the gradient fill of the ocean and find a nice in-between color and place it at the very end of the gradient.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

lostatsea posted:

Object > Path > Offset Stroke

I love you.

Edit: Ok, what's going on here?

I've just used Effect / blur / gaussian blur. There are no shapes that are in the way. The only reason I can think of is that it's a fairly large map and my computer just couldn't handle the blurring or something.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 18, 2009

MrMISCHIEF
Mar 17, 2009

With a trick up his sleeve.
How does Photoshop Phriday work, and is there a separate thread/forum for it?
I've searched, and aside from the finished shops on the main page, I can't find anything.
Thanks from a noob, please help me out because I'd really like to contribute.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

MrMISCHIEF posted:

How does Photoshop Phriday work, and is there a separate thread/forum for it?
I've searched, and aside from the finished shops on the main page, I can't find anything.
Thanks from a noob, please help me out because I'd really like to contribute.

There used to be stickied theme posts and this whole elaborate sub-forum thing, but now it's basically any quality Photoshop thread that has run its course will have submissions hand-picked and put up on the frontpage.

If you want to contribute, all you have to do is post!

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

mcsuede posted:

Okay this is really pissing me off: Photoshop (CS4) enter is committing text, not adding a return, so that text typed after enter just appears over the existing line instead of on a new line. I'm on a laptop, using the normal enter button above the right shift. How do I change this!? Currently I'm having to create new text boxes for every line and it's extremely frustrating.

Edit: Even multi-line copy+paste ends up all jumbled over each other on one line! Help!
Edit: Windows XP

Have you tried a soft return? shift+enter. My macbook pro will do a return when I press fn+enter as well. It seems like there is something wrong with your preferences if c/p is getting messed up.

Etherwind posted:

Photoshop

Is there any easy way to turn this image into a simple line drawing?

I'm not particularly great with Photoshop, so excuse the dumb question.

Not really, no. The best suggestion I have is to get used to using the pen tool, though I suggest you use illutrator if possible.

Ringo R posted:

I love you.

Edit: Ok, what's going on here?

I've just used Effect / blur / gaussian blur. There are no shapes that are in the way. The only reason I can think of is that it's a fairly large map and my computer just couldn't handle the blurring or something.

Illustrator shouldn't even have photoshop effects in it, in my opinion. Try using blend, it is more complicated, but will give you much more control.

InDesign I want to view my documents in high quality mode all of the time every single time, Is there a preferences page that I am missing?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

stizu posted:

InDesign I want to view my documents in high quality mode all of the time every single time, Is there a preferences page that I am missing?

yes. If you have CS4 or CS3, here is the preferences pane you go to:

Those are the only 2 versions I have on this computer, but I imagine InDesign 2, CS, and CS2 all have similar panes.

Hope this helps!

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

stizu posted:

close all your open documents and change the setting.

this works for everything - default type settings, for example.

e:f,b

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Zurich posted:

close all your open documents and change the setting.

this works for everything - default type settings, for example.

e:f,b

A teacher had that suggestion, but I found out this is what happens when I don't have any documents open.

I feel pretty dim though, I decided to take a close look at all of the preferences available and lo and behold, I find the display performance preferences. No longer will I suffer bitmapped illustrator files! gmc9987, that is exactly what I found in my version of cs3.

VersionCue I use it for personal use, confined to my laptop. Does anyone have any experiences using an actual versioncue server?

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
If someone has a chance could you please look at this and tell me why the nose looks off? I tried fixing it but I am not experienced enough to figure out the problem.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

My guess (that I have been unable to sort out) is that the nose appears more turned than the rest of the face. How can I fix this?

edit: also if anyone just wants to tear it apart and tell me what to fix I could use it as a learning experience!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
From that picture it's hard to tell but it's not the nose, it's the eye. You've drawn it as if it were a frontal view as opposed to profile.

In profile view, it would be almost a triangle, and much smaller than if you saw it in a frontal view.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Is there a way that I can make the pentool icon change/smaller when using photoshop? It is so huge, and distracting/a nuisance.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Is there a way that I can make the pentool icon change/smaller when using photoshop? It is so huge, and distracting/a nuisance.

If you set your keyboard to capslock, it changes the cursor to a crosshair. Is that what you mean?

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

plaguedoctor posted:

If you set your keyboard to capslock, it changes the cursor to a crosshair. Is that what you mean?

I'll try that out, it sounds like what I want.

Thanks.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
May have been asked earlier, but is there a good online gif maker? I have a series of jpgs i want to make into a looped gif but most of the ones from a google search are either sketchy as hell lookin or only allow so many images per gif...

If no good online ones, whats a good free one?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
You can use the GIMP to make animated GIFs. There are tutorials available online.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I started oil painting a few weeks back, and have been enjoying it immensely. I took a class, and then started doing it at home, and sometimes I can do it for hours at a time. But I still don't really know what I'm doing and lots of questions pop into my head, so I've mainly been learning as I go. Some things I can look up online or in books, but many things I'd rather ask of other experienced artists. I just discovered this sub forum, but I don't see any place for discussing painting of any kind specifically, which is surprising. Is there a thread I've overlooked, or should I go ahead and start one?

But keeping to this thread for now, a small question I have is what's the best way to store and transport paintings, especially if they've been worked on within the past couple of days and therefore still pretty wet? I've been using canvas boards and pads, and I've been laying them on top of books on my shelves when I'm not working on them (I have cats) and there's got to be something more reasonable. How would I best go about carrying a bunch of them for someone to see without smudging them, or mailing one?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

preferences > cursors > precise

That's what you want. Caps Lock switches them between standard and precise, but I hate using it because then when I go to type something I'm suddenly yelling. I think the pen tool falls under "other cursors."

Elijya posted:

I realize this is a bit late and you've probably already tried it, but like Sia said, try kiss off. I swear by that stuff, I have yet to see the stain that it can't get out.

Now, for my question:

I have a couple of vector drawings done in Flash for a game. I want to make a printout of them life size, so about 5 1/2 feet tall. Flash won't export anything at all that large, and copying and pasting into illustrator makes the lines go all wonky. Is there any way to copy the vectors from Flash into Illustrator without screwing them up? I'm using CS4, if that matters. I have access to CS3 on this computer as well.

I fully realize that I'm probably the only person in the world who draws artwork in Flash and then tries to take it into Illustrator and not the other way around.

EDIT: nevermind, I figured it out. File > export > adobe illustrator. I feel kind of dumb now.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 25, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Elijya posted:

I started oil painting a few weeks back, and have been enjoying it immensely. I took a class, and then started doing it at home, and sometimes I can do it for hours at a time. But I still don't really know what I'm doing and lots of questions pop into my head, so I've mainly been learning as I go. Some things I can look up online or in books, but many things I'd rather ask of other experienced artists. I just discovered this sub forum, but I don't see any place for discussing painting of any kind specifically, which is surprising. Is there a thread I've overlooked, or should I go ahead and start one?

But keeping to this thread for now, a small question I have is what's the best way to store and transport paintings, especially if they've been worked on within the past couple of days and therefore still pretty wet? I've been using canvas boards and pads, and I've been laying them on top of books on my shelves when I'm not working on them (I have cats) and there's got to be something more reasonable. How would I best go about carrying a bunch of them for someone to see without smudging them, or mailing one?

1: You can feel free to PM me with questions on oil paints.

2: Lots and lots of care. You can also look into a drying agent if this is a big problem: Japan Drier or Copal are potent but also unstable. Galkyd is stable but slightly changes the properties of the paint. Mailing? Wait until it is dry to the touch, paint less thickly.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

Elijya posted:

but I don't see any place for discussing painting of any kind specifically, which is surprising. Is there a thread I've overlooked, or should I go ahead and start one?

I kind of wondered this myself because I mess around with watercolors a lot, but making a thread just for painting in general would be such a gargantuan task maybe someone just doesn't want to do it? It seems weird given all the other basic megathreads there are.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

vonnegutt posted:

You can use the GIMP to make animated GIFs. There are tutorials available online.

I found http://gifmake.com/ which worked out well.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Beat. posted:

I kind of wondered this myself because I mess around with watercolors a lot, but making a thread just for painting in general would be such a gargantuan task maybe someone just doesn't want to do it? It seems weird given all the other basic megathreads there are.

Ok, so there isn't one, I'm not blind. It'd only be a gargantuan task if you wanted to have an informative firstpost. Given my absolute inexperience, I couldn't provide anything more than "hai guys, let's talk about paint :awesome:" then ask all my silly questions. I'd feel bad since all the other megathreads seem to have really informative and resourceful firstposts from people with experience. But if no one else does, maybe I'll go ahead.

Zap, thanks for the offer, I'll PM you shortly.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Can anyone recommend a good CSS menu making program? (or online app or Dreamweaver extension?)

I've searched but most don't give me the customization and options I need, like sub-menus that appear when you hover, and controlling delay and transparency etc etc.

It's that or they're stupidly expensive and don't even offer a demo to see if they're any good. (Like most DW extensions I've seen on Adobe's site) There was one CSS menu extension from pluginlab but it makes the code in such a way that I can't edit it outside of the program which really annoys me.

The best I've seen is Opencube's Quickmenu, but it seems way too expensive for a program that does one thing. Someone seems to have made a copy at https://www.mycssmenu.com but I don't know if it's safe to use.

DrRimbaud
Feb 21, 2009

Believing this statement will make you happier.
I don't want to be the douche who bumps their own thread until somebody pays attention to it, but nobody read my story...

:smith:

Elijya
May 11, 2005

DrRimbaud posted:

I don't want to be the douche who bumps their own thread until somebody pays attention to it, but nobody read my story...

:smith:

(psst, hey, after your girlfriend thread the other day, and now complaining about your thread not getting responses, I'd suggest you lurk more before posting, and probably don't start any new threads for a good long time. Sometimes they don't work out. I'll read your story and bump your thread, but seriously, you're making a lot of small rookie mistakes. Spend more time lurking, and especially peruse the lepers colony and avoid the things you see in there)

Elijya fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 27, 2009

DrRimbaud
Feb 21, 2009

Believing this statement will make you happier.
Eep, sorry. I moderate the Saddle Creek message boards and I guess I need to stop assuming etiquette and such are the same here as they are there. What's the Leper Colony? I don't understand the premise of a lot of the forums here.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
I'm going to make a painting thread for all your painting needs. It shoooouuuld go up tonight, but we'll see.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

DrRimbaud posted:

Eep, sorry. I moderate the Saddle Creek message boards and I guess I need to stop assuming etiquette and such are the same here as they are there. What's the Leper Colony? I don't understand the premise of a lot of the forums here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

I'm not convinced that you can learn all that much about SA just by browsing it but it can't hurt.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

DrRimbaud posted:

Hey, Just wanted you to know what the Leper's Colony was. It's a listing of all the probations and bannings that have happened and why.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

The link can be found at the top of the page between "Posting Gloryhole" and "Support".

It would also be wise to read and familiarize yourself with the Forum rules

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/forum-rules/forum-rules.php

and any subforum rules, which will appear in sticky-notes in those sub-forums.

Awfully yours,

TheKub

Elijya
May 11, 2005

DrRimbaud posted:

ok, I don't want to derail this thread too much away from this forums purpose, so leave it at this

-At the top of the page are lots of links. You should check the SAclopedia anytime before you have a question.
-There is an "Ask/Tell" subforum you will find to be very helpful. In particular, a thread called "Ask us about the forums"
-The leper colony is a link towards the top of the page. It's a listing of all the users who have been banned and put on probation - usually a few dozen users a day. You can see the mods reason for the ban, and if you click on the punishment, you'll see the post that got them in trouble. Look through them to see what NOT to do.
-If you didn't already know, don't hotlink images. Host them on your own space, or upload them to waffleimages.com
-I've modded other places too, and no, they do not moderate the same way here. At all. I would really suggest spending a lot more time lurking before posting again.
-Under no circumstances post in BYOB or FYAD.

edit: tsk, walked away for a few in the middle of this. Oh well.

zap actionsdower! posted:

I'm going to make a painting thread for all your painting needs. It shoooouuuld go up tonight, but we'll see.

Thank you!

Elijya fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 27, 2009

Pepperoncini
May 21, 2008

Not to be confused with pepperoni.

zap actionsdower! posted:

Awesome.

I was just going to ask about watercolors. I like to do sketches and gestural drawing in pen. Lately I've been wondering about how they would look with watercolors over them.

What's the price range for "getting into" watercoloring. I have 0 painting supplies.
Any brands I should look for?
Resources?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
If you've never used watercolors, start with Crayola. Seriously, I have a sets and sets of tube colors that I use but I keep coming back to my Crayola pan colors. You can learn a lot about mixing from them and they're easy to carry and store. They're a great beginner set because the colors are so saturated.

Also, you might want to pick up a tube of Payne's Grey and Burnt Umber. Payne's is a blueish, slate grey color, and Burnt Umber is a richer, nicer brown. I like to draw with pen and these make excellent "shading" colors to put over a pen drawing just for an old timey photo type look. Also, painting in monochrome will improve your skills.

edit: a brush

You need a soft brush with a nice round tip that comes to a sharp point. I have a size 8 golden taklon brush that probably cost like <$5 that I use for just about anything. The key is to have a brush big enough to cover a largish area but high quality enough that the point is completely pointy when wet so you can paint small details.

my basic kit:
crayola pan colors with blob of paynes grey stuck somewhere inside
water bottle
brush

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 28, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Okay. I made a big loving wall of text about acrylic and oil supplies. Give us some questions to answer (and also some basics on watercolors)!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106934

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Ask me about my tasty empanadas
Here is my dumb question:

What is the best way to post NSFW art that I'd like to warn people about before ambushing them? (I know NSFW is allowed but if it's graphic I'd rather not skirt the line of "ho ho ho shouldn't have been browsing an art forum!")

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
The general consensus when I asked that question a few months ago in the drawing thread was to thumbnail the images and give a warning, but if you're really worried you could always just post a text link and give a warning beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Ask me about my tasty empanadas

gmc9987 posted:

The general consensus when I asked that question a few months ago in the drawing thread was to thumbnail the images and give a warning, but if you're really worried you could always just post a text link and give a warning beforehand.

This is super noobish but how does one thumbnail link. Does SA do it for you or do you have to do it manually?