Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is kind of a broad question, but do any of you make use of mind mapping or journaling apps to record and organize your thoughts concerning plot and story structure (and stuff in general)? Mine is not a life reflective of an organized mind.

I do but I also find that if I have an actually good idea I just remember it fully without needing to track it that way. If I'm writing it down my idea probably isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
wordpad files, just a grotesque number of poorly labeled folders full of wordpad files

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Why can I suddenly not unlock or delete guides in Illustrator? This popped up about a month ago, and affect all guides, old and new. If I drag a new guide onto the artboard, it is now there forever and ever amen. Even Unlock All does not let me select, move or delete it. Mac OS Monterey; Illustrator CC, latest update.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 25, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The apocalypse world worksheets are good for that

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is kind of a broad question, but do any of you make use of mind mapping or journaling apps to record and organize your thoughts concerning plot and story structure (and stuff in general)? Mine is not a life reflective of an organized mind.

I have extremely bad ADHD and memory problems in general and cannot keep thoughts in my mind so I have to write down anything important. I primarily use 2 things:
1) Scrivener which is pretty much this answer but purpose-built:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

wordpad files, just a grotesque number of poorly labeled folders full of wordpad files

2) A vector drawing app with an infinite canvas. Personally I use Concepts. It's incredibly helpful to be able to keep multiple infinite whiteboards handy and being able to do it in the weird organizational way my mind works (all over the drat place) instead of in any kind of linear format is very, very helpful for me to keep an idea going and iterate on it long-term.

I also have a huge stack of blank notebooks in my closet for when I feel like going analog.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm doing a translation of a short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne into Danish. Young Goodman Brown. I can't figure out the exact meaning of this sentence though.

quote:

“My father never went into the woods on such an errand, nor his father before him. We have been a race of honest men and good Christians since the days of the martyrs; and shall I be the first of the name of Brown that ever took this path and kept—”

“Such company, thou wouldst say,” observed the elder person, interpreting his pause. “Well said, Goodman Brown! I have been as well acquainted with your family as with ever a one among the Puritans; and that's no trifle to say. I helped your grandfather, the constable, when he lashed the Quaker woman so smartly through the streets of Salem; and it was I that brought your father a pitch-pine knot, kindled at my own hearth, to set fire to an Indian village, in King Philip's War. They were my good friends, both; and many a pleasant walk have we had along this path, and returned merrily after midnight. I would fain be friends with you for their sake.”

Does he mean that he knows Goodman Brown's family as well as he knows any puritan family, or that he knows them as particularly good puritans? And why is it no trifle to say? Is he emphasizing that he's serious?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pondex posted:

I'm doing a translation of a short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne into Danish. Young Goodman Brown. I can't figure out the exact meaning of this sentence though.

Does he mean that he knows Goodman Brown's family as well as he knows any puritan family, or that he knows them as particularly good puritans? And why is it no trifle to say? Is he emphasizing that he's serious?

I take that to mean he knows their family as well as any puritan family, and that it is a significant statement. He does then go on to cite specific things he's done with Goodman's father, implying that they've been close in the past.

It's weird to say "as well as any ..." in this context, because these days it implies the opposite of what appears to be said here. Still though I think that's what it's saying.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah I think he's just saying that he's unusually close to the family. "And that's no trifle to say" might be a humble brag if it's a powerful family, but I don't know about the story's context

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

armorer posted:

I take that to mean he knows their family as well as any puritan family, and that it is a significant statement. He does then go on to cite specific things he's done with Goodman's father, implying that they've been close in the past.

It's weird to say "as well as any ..." in this context, because these days it implies the opposite of what appears to be said here. Still though I think that's what it's saying.

Yeah, it would make sense that he knows Goodman Brown's family, and most other puritan families. The whole thing is kind of a satire on puritan morality. Thanks.

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah I think he's just saying that he's unusually close to the family. "And that's no trifle to say" might be a humble brag if it's a powerful family, but I don't know about the story's context

Goodman Brown is on his way to a witches sabbath in the forest. And he's just appaled that all his neighbors are also going. The older man is probably the Devil.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pondex posted:

The older man is probably the Devil.

It makes so much more sense now why his tales were so violent.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

armorer posted:

It makes so much more sense now why his tales were so violent.

What do you expect? He's the Devil!
It's not clear though, if he put the puritans up to the bloodshed, or if it was under their own initiative.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone have any good resources for shooting and editing skate videos?

I apologize for my incredibly 90's question.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Literally A Person posted:

Editing: I use Davinci Resolve, which is a) free, and b) entirely powerful enough for reasonably complex video editing. For example, this trailer for my game was made entirely with Davinci Resolve.

Shooting video in real life is an entirely different set of skills that I have no practice in, so I can't help you there beyond basic advice like "think about composition and lighting, and plan out your shots in advance". Good luck!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Editing: I use Davinci Resolve, which is a) free, and b) entirely powerful enough for reasonably complex video editing. For example, this trailer for my game was made entirely with Davinci Resolve.

Shooting video in real life is an entirely different set of skills that I have no practice in, so I can't help you there beyond basic advice like "think about composition and lighting, and plan out your shots in advance". Good luck!

I love free.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Seconding Davinci Resolve. For shooting, GoPros and other action cameras are popular and are probably a good starting spot, but it's a big well to fall down depending on how you want to shoot

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thirding, as I -- a complete A/V idiot -- managed to figure out how to use it using a bunch of YouTube tutorials and make a passable video.

Its major problems aren't editing as much as how/what I chose to film, DaVinci Resolve itself was excellent.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'll just add that skate videos are generally shot with a camera held around the knees, very close to the skater and crucially with a fisheye lens. There was a specific camera they used a lot in the 90s with a really easy top grip that allowed the operator to hold it at that height while being upright enough to keep up with the skater. Good luck and share your poo poo here skate or die ty

e: https://www.engadget.com/sony-vx1000-defined-the-skate-video-130032368.html

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

VelociBacon posted:

I'll just add that skate videos are generally shot with a camera held around the knees, very close to the skater and crucially with a fisheye lens. There was a specific camera they used a lot in the 90s with a really easy top grip that allowed the operator to hold it at that height while being upright enough to keep up with the skater. Good luck and share your poo poo here skate or die ty

e: https://www.engadget.com/sony-vx1000-defined-the-skate-video-130032368.html

This is all good. Appreciated.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Hello thread, I’ve got some stupid little questions!

I enjoy making making geometric patterns and designs. For me it’s more about the process than the result, but I still want it to look good - and I want the patterns to work out as precisely as I can manage.

This is my latest piece and I’m pretty pleased with how well it turned out. (Needs some more erasing of pencil lines). But it’s also the limit of how precise I seem to be able to work. I had originally wanted to do 3 ‘rings’ in this design, but after two rings the cumulative inaccuracies are already pretty big.

So the questions:

- What is a good pencil sharpener? I can’t seem to consistently get a nice sharp point. The sharpener I have often gives these kinda oval points, which is bad.

- What compass is good? The one I have now is okay-ish, but the hinges half way down the arms have just this little bit of movement, which fucks things up a lot.

- What kind of paper and markers are best suited for the crispest lines? On the paper I use now the markers leave a slightly bigger mark at where I put the marker to the paper than the rest of a line.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I don't know about paper and compass, but have you considered a mechanical pencil? That seems like it would be perfect for your purpose. There's even a fancy japanese one (Kuru Toga) that rotates the lead with use so it's always sharp.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Pondex posted:

I don't know about paper and compass, but have you considered a mechanical pencil? That seems like it would be perfect for your purpose. There's even a fancy japanese one (Kuru Toga) that rotates the lead with use so it's always sharp.

I have, actually. But the thinnest I could find was 0.3 mm thick, which is simultaneously too thick and also so thin it would break all the time in my idiot klutz hands.
I know there are mechanical pencils that work with pretty thick graphite, which you then sharpen to a point. I know they exist because I have found sharpeners for them - but I can’t seem to find the pencils themselves. I think I might be searching with the wrong terms though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pondex posted:

Seconding mechanical pencils, they would help a lot. One caveat of the Kura Toga is that it rotates when lift/put the pencil back down, so the utility of that feature is a little limited with lines of that length or writing western (and even Cyrillic) scripts.

E: you're describing a lead holder, but I think you'll run into the same problem as with regular pencils and thicker mechanical leads https://a.co/d/7Mdvtdy

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 29, 2022

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I think it would be difficult to get a sharper point than that on a pencil. I just tested my old hand-cranked sharpener and the sharpest tip it can make is about the same as a 0.5 mechanical lead. But I've had it for 30 years so maybe there's been great advancements in sharpener-design since then. It's an ELM S-105 if that's at all useful.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Such Fun posted:

I have, actually. But the thinnest I could find was 0.3 mm thick, which is simultaneously too thick and also so thin it would break all the time in my idiot klutz hands.
I know there are mechanical pencils that work with pretty thick graphite, which you then sharpen to a point. I know they exist because I have found sharpeners for them - but I can’t seem to find the pencils themselves. I think I might be searching with the wrong terms though.

Are you thinking of charcoal pencils? You can also try the phrase ‘drafting’ when you’re searching for pencils and straight edges.

Also, if you’re DIY inclined or want to be, there are ways to build your own CNC drawing machine.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

There is a long point type sharpener, like this:

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/kum-long-point-pencil-sharpener-red-flip-top-reservoir-2-holes-v10384

The first hole exposes the lead and the second one makes it into a needle point. I have several for my colored pencils and though I am not sure how it compares to a .03 mechanical pencil, it is a sharp rear end point. Problem is it is so sharp you need a super light hand for it not to break immediately with soft lead.

Top is a normal KUM sharpener and bottom is the long point:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
For paper, you might want to try a few different kinds out to see what works well. But in general the heavier the paper the less risk you'll have of bleeding. Smooth bristol board is pretty decent for markers so you might want to give that a try. There's also a vellum variety that has more tooth but that's probably not necessary since you aren't shading with the pencils.

If that's too expensive you can also try some premium printer paper like color copy digital paper. It wont be as good as bristol or other artist grade papers but it's much cheaper and still a significant jump in quality compared to regular paper. I've used them with ink and got good results. But I've not tested markers with them so I don't know if those will be heavy enough to take the marker well.

Also, since you seem really concerned about exactness you might want to consider using a technical pen instead of a marker. You could get something like a rapidograph (or a comparable brand). Those pens are designed to never vary their line weights and used to be the gold standard for technical drawing before digital tools replaced them. So they might work very well for the kind of art you want to make.

They are really expensive, but last a very long time if you take good care of them. The only caveat is they don't handle like other pens and you have to press them to the paper at a specific angle and pressure to get them to lay down ink. So get one and try it out first to see if you like it before you buy a whole set of them. Or you could just buy the one with the smallest tip if that's the only one you need.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Thanks for all that advice, everybody.
I’m taking notes and going to the art store, elbowing my way through a swarm of art students who make me feel old and uncool!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I just listened to the Blank Check episode about The Nightmare Before Christmas and have been watching a fair amount of stop motion behind-the-scenes stuff as a result. One thing that keeps bugging me: the character models are often held up by rigs, which allows the animators to create poses that'd be impossible just by balancing the figures (walking, jumping etc). Often these rigs seem like they'd be in shot. I understand that if the movie was made nowadays, painting them out digitally would be trivial, but I'm not sure how they did it when they were shooting on film in 1993. Any info / links would be appreciated.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hey my wife has gotten really into ProCreate and stuff now that she's started tattooing, apparently that thing is invaluable and after watching her use it i can see why. thinking about getting her some stuff to go along with it for christmas, maybe some accessories for her ipad or something that might make things easier/better. i realize this is a comically broad subject but do you guys have any ideas or things that you really like using with your ipad/procreate?

i don't really want to get her some digital brushes or whatever, preferably something physical. i know she likes to just draw with it on her lap and she has a stylus and stuff already. i am not an artist and this whole world is foreign to me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When it comes to hobbies and passions, in my experience the gift recipient will have strong opinions about what specifically they are interested in. I'd recommend talking to your wife and asking her if there's something specific she'd like to get. Yes, it ruins the surprise, but there's also no chance of you getting her, say, an inferior version of something nice that she'd been excited about buying for herself.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I recently subscribed to the new Pantone service, since Adobe and Pantone severed their relationship, because they are both fuckers. I need to have access to the entire Pantone Solid Coated book in Illustrator and Photoshop, in all documents, new and old. I can't figure this poo poo out, and the Adobe customer service reps (plural!) I have talked to have been no help. Can I simply add the Solid Coated book to the Swatches -> Swatch Libraries -> Color Books list? JUST LIKE ALWAYS. The Adobe guy said that's now impossible.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does anyone know what this might be? Spotting it walking around my neighborhood and I’ve only ever seen the one.

My guess was some private ev charger that someone plopped down but idk.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Does anyone know what this might be? Spotting it walking around my neighborhood and I’ve only ever seen the one.

My guess was some private ev charger that someone plopped down but idk.

Some kind of water meter or quality testing thing maybe? Another photo on this website: https://www.acwd.org/9/Job-Seekers

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

VelociBacon posted:

Some kind of water meter or quality testing thing maybe? Another photo on this website: https://www.acwd.org/9/Job-Seekers

That’s a fancy version of what I used to do as a water plant operator. Used to have hit four quadrants of the town daily for free/total chlorine readings. Usually just rocked up to a house of somebody I knew who didn’t give a poo poo. That’s a neat little pedestal, but would not survive the winter.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've started learning to draw. I've got a couple of specific projects in mind, so I'm doing some pre-work on the project and organizing my ideas and planning the steps I'll need to take towards the goal, and parallel to that I'm learning to draw from square 0.

I have a tablet and copy of clip studio a friend gave me, and I'm learning that program right now and getting familiar with the functions (can't wait to start practicing drawing with layers), but for right now I'm primarily just practicing how to draw simple lines and shapes (circles, triangles, squares) using pencil and paper, as well as other super basic things like e.g. drawing from the shoulder instead of the wrist, etc. I don't want to move on to drawing anything more than that until I feel confident in my ability to imagine two points and draw a straight line between them, or see a shape and draw it without it looking incredibly bendy and wonky. Right now my arm control is terrible. My best circles require me to make some practice circles in the air before touching pencil to paper and eve then it's iffy.

How long should I expect to have to drill this until I can move on? And is there anything else I should focus on fundamentals-wise? Even as far as posture, whether my hand should even be touching the page (it does on pen & paper but it can't on the tablet, as I quickly discovered).

e: I am doing other things at the same time too, like taking reference photos and trying to find/trace basic shapes out of them, draw wireframes over people, draw head construction shapes over other heads, etc. But the lines are all extremely messy all the time so it's more just to learn and drill that stuff into my head so that by the time I'm ready to start the project I'll have a better idea of anatomy and such

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 15, 2023

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

How long should I expect to have to drill this until I can move on? And is there anything else I should focus on fundamentals-wise?

The way you've framed this question makes me think the best answer for you is "stop practicing right now and just start making your project." Otherwise, no matter how much you practice, you'll probably never self-assess as "ready to start my project," and the more you learn about drawing the longer your list of "fundamentals I have yet to master" will grow.

This video goes over the idea in more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rlF-qE-vsM

The drills you posted are fine, keep doing them if you enjoy them, or use them as quick warmups. But, if you only do (rational and logical but emotionally empty) drills, there's a good chance you burn out doing them, and never actually make your projects. Your rational concern is that you aren't yet skilled enough to bring your vision to the page. The truth is that your vision will always exceed your skill, no matter how high it gets. Nobody ever feels fully ready to take on a personal project.

If you just start your project, you'll still end up "practicing;" it'll take the form of revising and editing and specific-reference-grabbing and iteratively improving a specific drawing that's meaningful to you. That will likely get you much farther than practicing random hands or heads or poses or perspective in a vacuum. And you'll have your project to show for it at the end! It will probably still have shortcomings, but you will have learned a lot, and be in a better place for your next project.

As for your wobbly lines, don't be afraid to address the problem in the software itself, it's not cheating!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzKAZJ7bRM

If you're adamant about doing more practice and having a better theoretical understanding, something structured (and finite!) like Proko's Drawing Basics Course will cover everything from tools to technique. Watch the videos, do the exercises. Then start your project, secure in the knowledge that your fundamentals bases are covered.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If $600 is in your budget, get the DJI Mini 2 Fly More kit (comes with 3 batteries, a case, and accessories) and the Litchi app. Litchi can make it automatically follow a moving subject while recording, just don't get too close, the last thing you want to do is risk taking propellers to the face. Your skater will probably be wearing sunglasses anyway, make sure they also wear gloves in case something goes wrong and they have to swat it away, but you should be flying above their head or a few feet to the side and be ready to pull up and away if it gets too close (practice this ahead of time with a spotter who will shout "cut!" if it gets too close). Chase shots are safer. Also note that in the US it's illegal to operate a drone from inside a moving vehicle unless you're licensed for it.

A bike and a GoPro or two with a handlebar mount for side or views and b roll, and a Manfrotto Magic Arm or other extension attached to the frame for low angles or closer shots without getting too close and tripping the skater should get you most of what you need. Grab a chunk of plastic (50 cent plates at Walmart work nicely) to tape onto the lowest part of the arm with some foam between the plate and the arm so you have some warning if it starts to scrape without trashing the arm. Again, keep off to the side for safety.

For filming, stick with the 180° rule while shooting and keep to one side while in motion; the exception would be if you want to show multiple angles in slow motion or split screen. For a drone shot, you could do a full circle as an establishing shot, either start with an overview of your filming area and circle the skater while spiraling down or start facing them and spiral up to show it. You could also circle them on foot or with a camera mounted to a bike for this. If you want ideas for shots or camera setup, I can sketch some out for you.

For audio, you can use the mics on the cameras, but I recommend also attaching a small audio recorder directly to the board or above the skater's ankle to get audio to mix in.

For editing, use a continuous shot as your primary track and cut away to different angles for focus. if you're not sure how to arrange it, add a metronome track to audio while you're editing it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I think all of this was exactly what I needed to hear, thank you very much. I'll take a look at those videos. Much appreciated!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, I don't even know where to start.

My 10-year-old daughter is obsessively writing/drawing her own graphic novel series. She currently has an art class she is taking, but it's traditional stuff and they kind of look at her comics and graphic novel work with bemusement. We are keeping her in the class to give her a solid artistic foundation that might help her comics down the line, but she is pretty prolific about her comic output. The problem is she is 10, and has a hard time with the storytelling part. She has so many ideas in her head, she has to explain to us everything that is going on and while I love her work I really can't follow it.

What are the resources we should be providing her to help her focus her storytelling? I'd love to get her in a class or something, we live in Los Angeles so there has to be some art school with graphic novel classes somewhere, but she's 10 and everything I have found is for high schoolers and up. I'm not looking to rush her along in her development or anything, she is just churning out so much content I am starting to lose track of her pages and I would love for her to find a creative outlet while honing her skills. Any LA area goons with an idea where to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

RIDE Channel put out an absolutely brilliant series called In Focus nearly 10 years ago that covers a lot of the theory behind shooting and editing skate videos (and photos). Has contributions from some of the best in the biz. Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6127F57BA3448E57

Some of the tech will have changed since but it's still really informative.