Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I've recently gotten really into pastels, I have a windsor and newton set that is very good, but the pastels are too large and soft. I keep getting raved at about how awesome nupastels are as hard pastels, (even by people in the UK), but they are impossible to get hold of over here. Is there anything roughly the same by european companies?

I have some contes and misc. pastel pencils already but they are a bit too scratchy for what I want :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I just bought some of the new (well to the UK, anyway) liquitex ink! stuff. Does anyone know how well it sticks to metal?

I have some car/metal primer but I'm worried it'll show through since it won't be the same colour as the ink I'll be using. I'm going to try with a base of some clear gloss spraypaint, which worked okay last time I tried acrylic on metal, but I don't want to waste this stuff because it's expensive.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I'm trying to get some pencils printed on comic size (11x17) paper to get a sample package going, but all the printers I've been to have flat out refused. Some because they won't do non-standard paper sizes or under a hundred copies, others because I want to use a specific paper (inking on glossy photo paper would be difficult).

Does anyone know a printers in London, UK that will do this for me? I know this is kind of a shot in the dark, but failing that can anyone point me at somewhere to post this where people might know?

I used to have a very good printers that would do all kinds of crazy stuff for me, but I live about an 1 hour away from them now.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I work on and off at a company that does a lot of work for a national media institution. None of their output is originally in English and I'm responsible for making sure that there are no style or grammar issues etc. with their translated stuff. All the stuff with a non-specific target audience is done with AP style and American spelling, but recently they've had a lot of stuff that was going to the UK. Can anyone suggest a good style guide to follow for this? Really we would want to follow the BBC, but their style guide that's available is more about writing well (not so much my problem) than nitpicking (very much my problem). I've been leaning towards using the Economist's guide for this kind of thing, but I'm honestly pretty out of my depth here and would welcome any other goon suggestions.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 15, 2011

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Does anyone here study journalism or similar? I was torn about posting this her or in SAL, but I need to know what/if the term for those Sunday supplement style interviews is called? It seems to me to be so ubiquitous that there's not even a word for it, let alone reasearch on it.

An example, the intro from these kinds of articles always goes as such: *over the top adjective* *stupid fact about interviewee* *NAME* *verb* *hot button issue that will never be mentioned again*. I am in *place*, with *ridiculous adjective* *name* *name* and *name*. etc. etc. etc.

So you get 'Lugubrious ham lover Cher hates Sea Sheperds. I am in Lisbon with her symphonic iguanas Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail.'