Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Knitting question:

When you buy socks in the store, they have the toe seam over the toes, like this:

When I knit socks, the only patterns I can find are with a seamless kitchener's stitch for the toes that looks like this:

How can I knit a toe like the first one? I don't like circular needles so I always work on DPNs, and I prefer to work cuff down. Can the over-the-toe seam be knitted cuff down?

e: VVV Thank you!

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Grimtooth posted:

I have a new mic (u37 from CAD Professional Microphones) and it detects sound, because the little... bar (what is it called?) moves up and down the louder or softer I speak. but when I record, either in Windows Sound Recorder or WavePad, and play it back, there is nothing. No static, no air, nothing at all. I tried both these programs with a lovely regular mic and they worked fine.

(not sure if this is technically a hardware/software problem, but I figured that you guys might know more about it)

Sounds like the lovely little mics have been plug and play but this one may need to be installed before any of your sound programs recognize it. It's been a long time since I used Windows, isn't there an option you can go to under the Control Panel or something to install a sound device?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Shoot, if you're going to take art classes as a lark, check out the art program at your local community college. Unless you're made of money, it doesn't make too much sense to pay art institute tuition.

If you have any art museums nearby, some of them may offer classes.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BlueberryMuffins posted:

I'm new to drawing with tablets. In fact, I've never done it before.

However, I do feel the need to get back into drawing as a hobby, so I have decided I'm going to purchase one. I know about Wacom and their track record and prices, but is there any other brand you'd recommend? How about VisTablet? They've got a 12x10 for $99 with a student discount. Adesso has a 10"x6" for $109. Or should I just save up for an Intuos 3/4?

I know I've seen it covered before, somewhere... but I can't find it.

I think Wacom is supposed to have the best pressure sensitive tablets. I have an Intuos 3 I liked, but because when I was working with paper I only ever worked with pencil, I wasn't happy with what I could do with a tablet. I have no skill with color, for example, so whenever I'd be drawing something I'd be relying on really subtle shading that I just couldn't get even with an Intuos. Maybe the new ones you can, or maybe I wasn't calibrating it right, I don't know.

I think if you know how to use and take advantage of the graphics program you're using, and especially if you know how to use color, a tablet can be a really great tool.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I've got an iBook G4 with a gross dirty keyboard because I'm apparently a disgusting pig. I want to wash the sumbitch in the sink.

I know how to disconnect it and all that. There isn't anything in here that would be damaged if I get it wet and properly dry it before plugging it back into the computer, is there? These things go for over a hundred from any reputable seller. Obviously I don't want to break it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

Does anyone know if there's a name for the style of pictures like these, or at least some terms I could use to search for more?

More specifically, I'm looking for mainly the neon colors and use of different shapes/patterns to show transitions/shading. Though, those might actually be two separate styles, I guess.

Edit: I guess they fall into digital art, but is there a name for the use of neon colors like these?

The 80s?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm trying to find an application (for Windows or Android) that would work with a headset mic as a sound monitor. Does such a thing exist? It seems easier to have live feedback than recording yourself and listening back.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nayt posted:

I wasn't asking for multiple people's hours of work for free....just a domain name idea.

Creative professionals don't just pluck ideas out of the ether. Your domain name idea would be the product of work. It isn't magic. It's work.

If it isn't work, then you could do it yourself.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The Dave posted:

You could try that here. You could also offer like $20-$30 on SA Mart and someone well probably do a pretty awesome job on it.

A word of caution, requests for spec work are specifically prohibited.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Either I'm being trolled, or you guys seriously don't allow posters to crosspost stories from outside forums.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652666

Are you telling me that I'm self plagiarizing by reposting something I made no money on if it was also posted in another forum? Do they own it now or do you have to make sure that you own it? This continuous targeting of every little thing I do is ridiculous.

Ps. I think the people who brought this up are just continuing a flame started in the thunderdome. I'll still erase the thread if it's a problem.

Why don't you ask a mod privately about the rules instead of this passive aggressive whiny poo poo?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Would a Surface Pro 3 have enough pressure sensitivity to where I could use it to master digital painting? I own a Wacom Bamboo, but as much as I practice I still have a hell of a time not seeing where my pen falls. I'm thinking of buying a Cintiq, but money's a factor and my computer's just outdated enough to where I probably won't get the full effect of a Cintiq.

30 seconds of Google tells me Surface Pro 3 is made with Wacom technology and has 1024 levels of sensitivity, comparable to Wacom Intuos. Did you see different? Admittedly I didn't look real hard.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yip Yips posted:

He should have done more than 30 seconds of searching because that's not true, per neonnoodle's post.

Which is why I asked if anyone saw different

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Could a grammar nerd help me out? What's the proper sentence:

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial to prepare me to become the most talented, well-rounded writer I’m capable of achieving.

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial to preparing me to become the most talented, well-rounded writer I’m capable of achieving.
Or something else entirely?

That being said, I know I’m at the point where outside help is crucial in becoming the most well-rounded writer I can be.

You can't *become* talented.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bro...have you considered...not acting?

It's a stage kiss. If acting is your thing, and your wife can't handle you kissing someone for show, y'all got some stuff to work out.

Also, this may shock you but men and women are surprisingly similar, being of the same species and all. Are there no similarities between what you might experience and what an actress might?

E: I just realized you're afraid of getting a boner. Tape it down.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

greatn posted:

Oh my wife's said she's OK with it, but I'm still apprehensive since saying it and seeing it are two different things. I'm not afraid of getting a boner, this is a two or three second kiss at the end of a musical number before another one kicks in, there's no time. I just feel irrationally guilty about it.

Read over what you just wrote and tell the class how that's not insane.

You're crazy and way too worried about this, hth

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Again, sorry for the bump but I tried searching and didn't know where to ask. I also didn't want to make a new thread.

I'm getting some poster prints for my new place:

The problem is that the first two posters a oddly sized and I can't find a specific frame that will fit them. Can anybody recommend what I could do?

If you can't use standard size frames, you need to go somewhere that makes custom ones. Even hobby lobby does that, but I can't speak to the quality.

I couldn't find your other posts in this thread; are custom frames not an option?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

How much would custom frames cost?

Uh, it costs money? Check places around you.

There's no answer that doesn't involve you paying more for custom frames or altering your prints. In the future, consider framing costs when buying art, sorry dude.

E: there aren't low-cost alternatives to custom frames. poo poo ain't cheap.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

How much would you say custom frames typically cost? $20-40? $80+? $120+? I just want to have an idea of what ballpark I am in.

NancyPants posted:

Uh, it costs money? Check places around you.

There's no answer that doesn't involve you paying more for custom frames or altering your prints. In the future, consider framing costs when buying art, sorry dude.

E: there aren't low-cost alternatives to custom frames. poo poo ain't cheap.

$100+ prob. Use Google.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Here's a really awkward question. Usually when just when I'm falling asleep, that numbness you feel as you're passing out...my mind starts to wander intensely. Often I'll get real vivid imagery and be thrown into a dream state right after laying down, lots of times accompanied with sound, usually music that I've never heard, once in a while screaming voices that wake me up.

It honestly feels like balls out hallucination, but it's always happened and it is short lived.
Does that happen to anyone else, can it be harnessed?

I work in IT, I'm not anywhere near creative as I want to be, but sometimes I draw bad comics or do pixel art, and have been taking piano lessons for like a year.

More often than not, technical or computer programming issues I'm stuck on in my conscious life get solved in that state, computer issues are a lot easier to put down on paper than imagery or sounds in your head when you're half asleep.

It is a balls out hallucination. It's a hypnagogic hallucination; basically you've started dreaming. It's the cause of night terrors as well.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Just wanted some further feedback, i've uploaded 30 sketches (not in chronological order though, sorry), most of them being from the times i've been going to a life-drawing session, pre-emptive sorry for the bad camera and lighting:

http://imgur.com/a/IZu4a (NSFW, poorly drawn anatomy)

They're not really good but i feel i've been improving slowly, I've also kept with doing short amounts of drawing and drawing exercisesm, as well as attending a lifedrawing session every week. I've been trying to learn more about anatomy, but it's not the easiest thing to put onto paper.

You're still trying to draw what you think you see vs what you actually see. Our brains are wired really well to translate what we see into symbols, but obviously that doesn't work real well for drawing and you will need a lot more practice to learn how to draw what you see. It's especially hard to do that when you don't know how the body is put together.

You're coming from a level of natural ability that means you will have to work if you want to be good at this. You need to draw every day. Have you checked this out? http://artists.pixelovely.com/category/technique/ you might also look at comic book drawing how-tos.

There's nothing wrong with starting with stick figures to figure out proportion. You can use the head as a unit of measure. Don't be afraid to use photo references, just try to stay away from magazines if you can. The bodies get photoshopped into inhuman proportions.

I really don't think you have the baseline to get anything out of those posing sessions right now. If they are costing you money, stop them immediately. If you must attend something, try to find a lesson, otherwise that time is better spent reading and practicing how to draw.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The anatomy and proportion fundamentals are missing. Having dynamic values doesn't help when you don't know how to draw the shape of a thing, and you can still learn to draw what you see even with flattened shadows. Photo references aren't perfect, but it lets you throw a grid over a face to figure out how far features are supposed to be from each other. You can get as many as you want per session, it takes the pressure off and lets you not get married to any single drawing. At the beginner level a photo is fine to use, especially if it means more references and more practice time.

I stand by my statement that if the sessions cost money, they're not the thing to do right now. You can get that from going to a park or looking at a restaurant, there's no point paying for it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ferrule posted:

I'm not sure I follow you entirely here but - they technically own that artwork. I do a lot of package design as well as brand identity stuff. I hand over that artwork and sure, the label concepts I did will most likely be then used in-house or outsourced (for cheaper) for all the other labels (different flavors/scents, bottle sizes, etc). I created the design but I don't own it. It's theirs and theirs to do with as they wish.

Yes, it means I may get less work down the road, and it sucks, but that's the business.

Doesn't this all depend on the specific arrangement, though? Generally work created by an employee is owned by the company, but contracted work is dictated by the terms of the contract.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Is there a way for 2 users in 2 different locations to share the same Excel spreadsheet and edit it simultaneously in real time?

Will Google Sheets suffice for you?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey everyone. I was going to ask this in the DIY Hobby forum but apparently there isn't a general hobby questions thread. :shrug:

Well, I'm looking for a hobby. I stopped drinking 2 weeks ago and I REALLY need something to do, mainly to keep my hands busy. I've been looking into a bunch of things but can't really figure out what to do since I'm not very creative or artistic besides music which I never do anymore.

I want to do something that is somewhat useful or rather produces something. I have models and rockets that can be completed and displayed but I don't know, I need something else. I'm trying to think of some medium of doing Celtic art. Something I can create an put up on my wall. I know there is knot tying and I was thinking of something like a form of knitting or whatever it is that you can create a pattern on a piece of fabric that I could put up. I'm even thinking of wood burning. I don't know how well I'd do with painting. One problem is that my handwriting is so bad I can barely read it. My signature is different every time I write it. So that's an obstacle. But I guess practice makes perfect. Who knows, maybe my hands will move differently when something artistic is involved.

So my question: does anyone have any ideas of a somewhat easy to get into hobby that would be a neat way to create stuff like Celtic art? How do I get into it? What materials would I need? I'm desperate here. Not drinking sucks and everything is boring now.

edit: Just saw something called needlework (maybe needlepoint). That might be neat for making Celtic designs.

Ohhh my friend have I got a hobby for you.

I've been knitting since high school and turn 30 in a few months. I take yarn with me anywhere I expect to have significant downtime partly because it's so portable and because I often need to have something to do with my hands. Last year I also started dyeing yarn after some 15 years of knitting, which has been extremely rewarding because I love color and because I am a control freak. It's only a matter of time before I start spinning my own yarn and buy some sheep. I have the Rainman-itis and knitting is very often a single thing for me to focus on when I get sensory overload and a way to help me relax. I'm not the only one--there are multiple programs in US prisons where inmates knit as a means of meditation, relaxation, productivity and learning a new skill, and just recreation. Don't worry about your dexterity. It'll come with practice.

The startup costs can be quite low. The cheapest way to get rolling is to buy one of those sets of 3 straight aluminum needles from Walmart or wherever and some cheap Red Heart yarn and knit a scarf. You'd be out about 10 bucks. You can pick up a pretty good complete set of aluminum interchangeable circular needles, which are the most versatile because you can knit nearly anything from flat scarves, dish towels if that's your thing, to sweaters and hats in the round on a circular needle for about $50. e: Singles are like $8 a pop. Knitting isn't a way to replace your wardrobe or home goods on the cheap by any means, but it's a way to make things you designed or from patterns you like and do something you enjoy at the same time. You can make Celtic designs either in your color work or in cables. It's also a good way to burn through audio books if that's your thing, too.

Back to cost, most any hobby is as expensive as you make it. Some hobbies require expensive supplies to do it in any enjoyable way (I wouldn't want to do film photography without access to a darkroom, for instance) while with others you'll only acquire those tools as your mastery dictates it. For me, knitting was really in the latter category.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 16, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Knitting sounds fun and would probably be a great fit but whenever I think of it, as you said, I think of big scarves and stuff like that. I really don't have a use for those. Well, not yet at least. I always picture these big fluffy yarn things when I think of knitting. Can you make designs with very thin yarn? Like could I make some sort of celtic design and press it into a frame so it doesn't look all frizzy?

Sorry, I know nothing of this stuff.

Yeah, you can pretty much do whatever you want with yarn. You can stick it in a frame and hang it on the wall, make wearable things out of it, make things for your house out of it, etc. Here are a ton of celtic cables: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&page=1&query=celtic&sort=best

If you go to the front page of Ravelry there is some intricate colorwork featured right now. It uses very fine yarn (laceweight) to get defined color patterns and you can see that they aren't fuzzy at all. Browse around a bit. If you see something you like, try it out. We've got a knitting thread in CC. If nothing strikes your fancy, no harm done.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I looked and didn't see one but I know that have one in the DIY thread.

I'll certainly take pictures of how stuff is going, good or bad.

We have a knitting thread. It's called Show Us Your Knits.

I'm going to come off as a huge bitch here: part of your quest to find a new hobby is, I'm assuming, an attempt to get your life right. You weren't born yesterday, so you have some resources at your disposal, not least of which seem to be a working internet connection and hopefully some initiative. You can do these simple things, you are not helpless.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If you're going with Adobe, keep records of whatever you sign up for and the terms.

I recently tried to cancel a 3 month free trial I got when I purchased my laptop, they ran me around for an hour insisting that I was locked in for a year and would have to pay $80+ as a discount on a cancellation fee because it had really been a 2 week trial, but wouldn't answer when my monthly payments had supposedly kicked in. When I demanded a supervisor, all of a sudden I was allowed to cancel.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

My daughter is into drawing, mostly pencil/color pencil with some charcoals and pastels. She picked out a new desk this week but it has a textured surface that she isn't sure will work for drawing.

What would you fine art folks recommend to use as a drawing surface to go on top of a desk? Something soft like a cutting mat or a blotter, or hard like a sheet of MDF? Something else?

You could do either, really, it just comes down to personal preference. A blotter or cutting mat is really good for writing with ballpoint pens, but I prefer a harder surface like melamine-faced mdf when working with pencils and other softer media. All the big box home improvement stores seem to have some brand of customizable shelving system which almost always has big sheets of melamine-faced mdf.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Argue posted:

Okay, I can't be the first person with this need so I'm sure a solution exists:

https://imgur.com/a/3TZ0do5

I've moved into a new place which has a drafting table, but I have no idea how to keep a sketchpad stationary. If it was just a board or a sheet of paper, I could tape it down, but it's kind of awkward and unwieldy for a sketchpad, especially my thicker ones. I can't clip the sketchpad to the table because the sides are too far for comfort and the top is too high to work from, and moreover, the surface is too thick for a clip anyway.

The solution I'm imagining is some kind of ruler-thin horizontal bar that clamps firmly onto the sides of the table (presumably the width is somehow adjustable too, to allow for different sizes of table), and which I can slide up and down on the surface, and is just thick enough to support the sketchbook without getting in the way of my hand. But if this is a thing, I have no idea what it's called or what it actually looks like.

Clamp a long ruler or thin board to either side?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What is the term for when a story starts in the middle of the action? All I can think of is in situ and I'm having a hard time finding examples of it used this way.

e:VVV thank you!

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 11, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

I've been buying domains lately that I think are funny and figure I should come up with websites to go with them. I've looked into some WYSIWYG/Hosting all-in-one type solutions and they seem fine. I've also got some, I'm sure, very dated experience with HTML but also have some free time and a DYI streak. Was wondering if some of you friends might give me some advice on places to start with basic web design. Or, if that's too much of a can of worms for too little return... A recommendation for your preferred website builder.

Thanks

W3 schools has a bunch of tutorials, we used it a lot for reference in a web dev class I just took

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm trying to decorate a new place I moved into, and I was hoping to get some advice on how to mount art.

I've got a series of posters and maps I want to put on walls but I'm not sure what a good way to mount them is.

Some of them needs to be properly framed but a others would look weird framed. I was thinking mounting it to things like foam core but I don't know if that works well. Are there any bulk sheet options like that I can use that will be durable and look decent long term?

I think if you saw those pieces in the right frames you might change your mind. I'm no arbiter of taste or anything but unframed art screams dorm room to me, the exception being some stretched canvases without outer frames.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

i am harry posted:

The index finger on my drawing hand is sort of hosed. I hurt it moving while carrying heavy stuff and then drawing and tattooing puts so much strain on the ligaments that something is seriously wrong. Obviously I need to get a professional medical person to look at it, but I also need to keep drawing.
Does anyone know if some sort of finger brace exists, like a knee brace you can get in a drug store but not one that is massive and bulky? There are gloves that can be worn to stop your hand smearing stuff or for tablet use, but they connect to the last two digits. I've taken to wrapping it up with self-adhesive bandages in the meantime.

Also, I went looking for a gadgets thread of its own (is there one?), felt slightly inspired to create one, and then remembered that I'm too lazy, but here is another question:

Are there drawing accessories that any of you use that you find invaluable?
For example, I have my apple pencil shoved into a massive disposable tattoo grip so the thing I'm holding is more than an inch wide, and I hear very good things about those screen covers that provide a bit of drag resistance. And off the top of my head, a simple 6H for starting a sketch with since I have a habit of pushing down too hard.

A knitter's/crafter's compression glove may do what you're looking for, but if you're at the point of describing it as "seriously wrong", you need to get someone to look at it asap especially if this is connected to your livelihood.

Ligaments and tendons can definitely be injured further from overuse or use when they're already inflamed. At the very least, please refrain from doing anything that causes pain as much as you can, and ice (through a towel or cloth, never directly on the skin) for up to 15-20 min at a time. If you're already taking NSAIDs for this, needing them for more than a week is a sign something is injured.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Pondex posted:

I don't know about paper and compass, but have you considered a mechanical pencil? That seems like it would be perfect for your purpose. There's even a fancy japanese one (Kuru Toga) that rotates the lead with use so it's always sharp.

Seconding mechanical pencils, they would help a lot. One caveat of the Kura Toga is that it rotates when lift/put the pencil back down, so the utility of that feature is a little limited with lines of that length or writing western (and even Cyrillic) scripts.

E: you're describing a lead holder, but I think you'll run into the same problem as with regular pencils and thicker mechanical leads https://a.co/d/7Mdvtdy

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Deadite posted:

I bought a 5 foot skeleton and I want to figure out a way to articulate it like it’s a big puppet. Does anyone have any knowledge on how this is done? I’ve seen things like that before where the puppet is mounted in front of a person wearing all black, like in the Lion King broadway show, but I don’t know how that works.

You might want to be more specific about what you want it to do. The joints in these things have only a basic range of movement and some of them are stiffer than others. What's your end goal?