Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I assume there are a lot of Photoshop CS4 users in this forum so I may have some luck here.

I've been trying to sort out a problem I'm having with gradient banding for days now, and just can't find a solution. I've googled the gently caress out of this and there are two solutions that keep popping up:

1) Turn off OpenGL drawing (Done!)
2) Make sure your monitor is set to display 32 bit colours (Done!)

Neither of these solutions helped. There's also a supposed work around where you "Add Noise" to the gradient to make it appear less banded, but this strikes me as ridiculous since you're basically trading one undesirable artefact for another.

Has anyone else encountered this ugly banding issue with CS4 gradients? I'm not at home at the moment so I can't show an example, a quick Google Image search reveals this though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/liquidityzero/bandingproblem.jpg

Which is exactly what I'm seeing with my gradients. Is there any fix to this at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

gmc9987 posted:

Are you seeing this problem when you are working on the file, or when you save in a flattened format? If you are seeing it in the working file, what color mode are you working in?
I'm seeing it in the working file but to a much more tolerable extent. It's still pretty bad, just not AS bad as when it gets saved: that's when it really stuffs up.

gmc9987 posted:

Also, are you referring to the banding in the horizontal gradient in the image you posted, or the radial one?
Both really, but the horizontal gradient is closest to the effect I'm seeing.

Also to save someone the trouble of asking, it's not a problem even remotely related to my actual display settings because I can see gradients elsewhere just fine, it's when I create them that this problem arises.