Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

Question about keeping proportion/perspective correct when working large, specifically with oil paints.

I haven't painted seriously in almost 5 years, but a coworker asked if she could display some old pieces for a random project and now I have 4 pieces commissioned. All of them will be (in terms of dimension) several times larger than the biggest finished piece I've ever done. The smallest is looking like it'll be 48"x60".

I took them because I'm certain I can do it, but I'm worried that my sense of perspective and size will get skewed when I'm working on something that's bigger than I am. The first thought is to draft everything small and then grid, but if someone else has a better way to do it or can talk about other techniques they use it'd be helpful.

Specifically I'm worried about a particular painting, which is a door opening inward and the scene behind it. The geometry of a half-open door seems like it'd be really easy to screw up, and with a canvas that large anything quirky about it will be really easily noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

What would be the best way to recreate the look of Ben-Day or halftone dots using acrylic paint on canvas?

My first attempt masking off acrylics involved tape sealed with matte medium, I but found it unreliable and wasn't happy with the outcome. Admittedly it may have had something to do with my technique and the materials I chose. How would I go about masking/stenciling everything so the dots look clean and crisp?

After a bit of research, it seems DickBlick carries a number of films that might get the job done, though suggestions on a specific brand, material or overall method would be greatly appreciated.

E: not to mention that a lot of the films for sale seem to be rather steep in price for single-use.

Sarah Barracuda fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 5, 2012