Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

n2o posted:

I found my dad's old Asahi Pentax K1000 tonight and spent a few hours learning how to use it, I'm hooked. I'll go out tomorrow and take some more photos.

Before I go to bed tonight I'd like to take some self-portraits with it, though. I guess there is some sort of automated mechanism or doohickey I can hook up to the camera itself, but I don't have anything like that. It doesn't appear to have a internal timer; pardon my ignorance if I missed that functionality somehow.

So, my question: Can anyone recommend a way to take a self-portrait with a K1000 where I don't actually have to hold the camera?

Maybe someone knows a clever trick with some string or a sippy bird or something, I dunno. In terms of materials I have an entire toolshop I can build something in, I just need a little direction.

I'm not sure if you've had this question answered already, but you might want to look into buying a manual cable release. Basically, it's a wire, extending from the camera, that has a button trigger at the end of it. When you press the button, the camera takes a picture, easy as that. You can find cheap ones for under $20.

Also, congrats on the camera! That's an excellent camera to be learning on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

teh_Shane posted:

I don't know all too much about DSLR cameras, but I've got a Canon EOS 400D with me at the moment. Was hoping to do a little long exposure night photography, but I can only have the shutter open for 30 seconds and with an aperture of 3.5 (uhh, I think that's the one).

Is there a way I can increase the shutter time?

Note: Camera isn't mine. Don't really wanna gently caress around with poo poo if I can help it. >_>

You can set the camera to it's bulb exposure setting, which will keep the shutter open for as long as you hold the button down.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Also, if you haven't, get into mixed media. Take a drawing you don't like, and paste a different color of paper over the part that sucks, then redraw that part with a different tool. If you approach drawing as an all-or-nothing one time thing, of course you'll be anxious. Tell yourself that there's always a way to change it, and you're likely to have less anxiety.

There was a photorealist artist exhibit at the MFA Boston, I don't know if it's still there, that had a piece of process work hung up for display. Instead of being one large complete drawing, it was a bunch of different drawings drawn on tracing paper that he just pasted or taped on top of the under drawing. So yeah, don't be afraid to redraw, white out, or paste over your drawings. Hell, even Edward Gorey used white out. The worst thing you can do is not draw in the first place.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

:shobon: I feel really dumb for asking this, but...

How to go about making prints of my artwork? I've never made a print of something before, but it can't be as simple as scanning it in and printing it out, can it?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I'd be making prints of my black and white stipple and ink work that are on 9x12 and 18x24 paper.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

What do you do when you catch a senior art student tracing from other peoples paintings? Some of my friends and myself have caught this girl tracing straight from the computer screen on multiple separate occasions and we don't know what to do. Should we alert the teachers or should we just let her wallow in her absolute crap artwork?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Beat. posted:

You'll have to provide details about the situation. It's not like copying something makes it bad, or is a bad practice to be in, in general.

It's not that she's copying something, it's that she's tracing copy written work and then claiming it as her own. And she's not just tracing a portion of it either, usually it's the whole piece of art.

As an example: She once made a piece of work about the church's stance on gay marriage by tracing the third google image result from the computer screen. Everything in her piece was exactly the same as the painting she traced from, even down to the placement of the apples in the trees. The only difference was that she changed the snakes head into a cross.

When we confronted her about it after class, she denied having any knowledge of such a painting and adamantly proclaimed that it was her idea and that she drew it from life.

I don't know, it just seems so sleazy and lazy to be in an illustration department and trace every one of your projects.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

If I'm laying down pencils before I ink, how far into the B pencils can I go before the clay content in the softer lead pencils fucks up my inks? I was thinking of using pencils from B to 6H. Can I use 2B or 4B safely?

Softer pencils will actually repel ink, so I wouldn't go too far down the B scale.

And I know this is pretty old, but:

CloseFriend posted:

I did have some more questions. I can't seem to do any fills without some paper warping. I use 100 lb. bristol (both plate and vellum). I've been using Higgins Eternal with about 20% Speedball Super Black ink. Am I laying on too much ink or do I need different paper? I've noticed it's worse when I use pure Speedball Super Black ink. Is it just a thing that happens with darker ink?

There is always going to be some warping no matter what the paper is. However, you can just press it under a couple of heavy books for a day or so (or use a hot press if you have one handy) and it'll be pretty flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I would like to transfer pieces of a photo on to an illustration board. There will likely be paint or ink underneath it. The methods I have seen involve canvas and water which would destroy the board underneath. I am considering just doing this project on canvas but I really prefer using watercolor to acrylic paint. Hence the ink question because I don't mind using ink.

Basically I want to get the ink from a photo onto a board without destroying everything underneath.

You could try tape transfers. Press your image into a couple of strips of packaging tape, wet the paper the image is printed on, then rub the paper off. It takes five minutes and then you just have to wait for it to dry. After that you can just apply it to the surface you are working on as the tape will still be sticky, but for the best adhesion put some gel medium under and over it to completely seal it.