Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Crossposting from the general stupid questions thread because I think people here might know better:

A question: I'm entering a small local short film contest that projects the finalists onto a big screen in one of the town's theaters.

The films are home made and so aren't done with big budget cameras and are frequently standard definition, and are submitted via the internet so they're .avi/.mov/.wmv/whatever files.

Projecting these onto the big screen darkens them like crazy. Some of the films (those set in darker environments) are unwatchable because of this.

Can anyone tell me/link me to a tutorial for any filters/setting adjustments I can use to prevent this darkening beyond just upping the brightness and washing everything out? I've done a search but my google-foo is weak. Any help is appreciated. If it helps, I'm using adobe premiere.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Has anyone here used those Gunnar "crystalline" glasses? I've heard good things about the yellow tinted ones, but if the clear ones work just as well, that would be very useful for me.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ Or do what this guy did.

The Worst Muslim posted:

We're writing up slips to give out to employees on their misconduct. Say for example they slip up and we need to issue them this slip of paper. However, we are having trouble finding good words. What's a good office-y synonym for;

Issue: This is the reason why we are punishing you, dummy

Conclusion: This is what we are going to do to your sorry rear end to punish you.

So please help me out, what are good office friendly words for Issue and Conclusion.

"Area for Improvement"

"Proposed Solution" or "Resolution"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Working in Audition: recording new tracks in a multitrack session, when I play them back they're juust out of sync. Apparently older versions of the software had a "correct for drag" feature that helped with this, but mine does not. Anyone know how to fix drag/lagging in recording?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Sihastru posted:

Probably the wrong thread for this but what was the word for that mental disorder (I believe) in which people are unable to control their emotions when exposed to great works of art ? I'm sure one of you goons know what I'm talking about.

Stendhal Syndrome

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

The Bananana posted:

Is this sentence too awkward?

Death, crushed by thousands of pounds of pressure in an endless night, drawing near, Sean’s hand finds, at last, a useful lever- the battery’s priming pump.

Yes. Something like "Death drawing near, crushed by thousands of pounds of pressure in an endless night, Sean's hand finds at last a useful lever - the battery's priming pump." But that still is too unwieldy.

edit: Or maybe "Crushed by thousands of pounds of pressure in an endless night, death was drawing near. At last, Sean's hand finds a useful lever - the battery's priming pump."

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Maxwell Lord posted:

That gives you a weird dangling modifier (death is being crushed)?

"Crushed by thousands of pounds of pressure in an endless night, Sean knows his death draws near. At last, his hands find a useful lever- the battery's priming pump!"

It's not great but it's a start.

Yeah I was afraid to change too much, but your way is much less awkward.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

xcore posted:

Anyway, my specific time lapse question is about skyline/nature shots. How do they manage to skip night time footage while still making it look not-terrible? Things like a building being constructed or a river drying up etc.

I actually worked on this video. There are special time lapse cameras for projects like these, and basically they just take a series of pictures. You tell it to take a picture every few seconds, minutes, or hours.

Then you put all the pictures together and export them into a video.

Then you edit that video like normal. Cut out boring dark night times, gaps in activity (or, ahem, if certain workers break code obviously, trim that) and voila! Nobody knows how much time you're cutting because it's hard to tell what's a jump cut with time lapse, so the flow's not broken. The video above is about 3 months' work.

quote:

In the latest Africa series they are even doing timelapses with moving cameras, either slowly rotating or slowly moving across the forest floor whilst everything on screen is going mega-fast. How does that actually work?

Those big dramatic moving ones I believe are sometimes set up in studios and greenscreened into environments. That way they can have the camera on a predictable track and ensure that they get the lighting/timing they need to be sure the shot is perfect every time. Very cool stuff, way out of my league.

edit: I'm also not sure they use timelapse cameras for those. They may just do a take every day or so and chop them up that way.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Can someone recommend a DSLR camera for someone who intends to use it a lot for HD video projects?