Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Psyentist
Apr 7, 2008
I've never really worked with moving objects in photography before (aka people) and would love to know how to get a shot with wind blown hair without the hair itself being blurry (or anything that is moving, for that matter).

I feel really stupid asking this.
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Psyentist
Apr 7, 2008
I don't know all too much about DSLR cameras, but I've got a Canon EOS 400D with me at the moment. Was hoping to do a little long exposure night photography, but I can only have the shutter open for 30 seconds and with an aperture of 3.5 (uhh, I think that's the one).

Is there a way I can increase the shutter time?

Note: Camera isn't mine. Don't really wanna gently caress around with poo poo if I can help it. >_>

The Psyentist
Apr 7, 2008

Side Effects posted:

You can set the camera to it's bulb exposure setting, which will keep the shutter open for as long as you hold the button down.

Haha, thanks dude. Found it shortly afterwards but SA wasn't loading for me, so I couldn't edit my post. ;/
Now I've got one more thing to ask.

What's the best way to go about getting as much light into the shot in as little time as possible?

I'd like to get a night time shot that looks day time, with stars in the sky - however I don't really want the stars to appear as massive streaks careening across the photo.

The Psyentist
Apr 7, 2008
Okay, I've run into a little trouble with my DSLR camera.

I know the basics of shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc., but I'm not overly good with working with them all at once.

I would really like to be able to get some super fast paced action shots of things, figuring that I'd need a super quick shutter speed, aperture as low as it can go and the ISO around ~400.

That said, I can't have the shutter speed any quicker than 1/15 without everything being incredibly dark. Using the flash I can have it at 1/250 - but that hardly counts.

How do people make use of the 1/8000 range? :(