Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I work in IT but I never learned how to do anything visually, its sad and alarming really. I'm tasked with posting a news article on our website now and I'm trying to make a header image but its just a baffling ordeal and I know it shouldn't be. I'm basically trying to paste a logo over a background image, but of course I get the white borders of the pasted image and if I go transparent then the logo becomes all distorted and gross. I only have paint, I feel like something as simple as this oughta be possible without full blown photoshop. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

As someone who is a computer toucher for a living, I've always been dreadfully bad at anything related to graphic design. Its sad because I have good ideas in my head, I just cant get them out in any kind of useful way.

Anyway, one thing that I've always struggled with in my limited Paint skills is copying one thing onto another. Say, for example, I'm trying to mock up a phone skin and I have a background selected and I want to add a logo to it. If I copy it over transparently, all the white in the logo is filled in by the colors behind it and it looks awful. Otherwise, I copy it over solidly and I get the white corners surrounding the round logo, and free drawing the edges and copying it that way also results in tragedy.

I installed GIMP but I dont know where to start. Looking at some tutorials, looks like layer masks might have something to do with what I'm trying to achieve? I dont know why I find image manipulation to be such a hard barrier.