Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So, I used to read comics as a teen. I also drew a lot then... not so much for about 8 years now, and music has been more of my creative outlet. But I came up with some ideas for a comic book (or possibly two different ones) and also feel like getting into a different creative direction again....

So, how does one write for a comic book? How would you approach balancing focus of art with the story, especially if they are both from one source? I feel like I'm suck in a chicken/egg scenario...

e- spelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

I'm looking to print my own dvd covers, and I want them professional-looking, like real movie dvd covers.

What would be the best paper for this kind of thing?

This isn't the answer you're looking for, but I feel like unless you have a *really* good printer you won't get the same image quality, so maybe go for something silk-screened or some other type of print that emphasizes the diy aspect...? I think that when dealing with limited means that kind of packaging is more appealing personally.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Been awhile since I've silkscreened and looking for advice:
I am planning on doing a short run of an album. This company Stumptown printers has an awesome pack, called the arigato pak.

Downside is it's only available in 18pt chipboard, ie: brown. Do you think I could screen a full layer of black ink on one side, let it dry, then lighter ink over, for the effect of black paper? If it's a thin enough layer of ink they mostly likely won't warp right?

I plan on doing a few experiments, but don't want to commit to a whole "blank" screen if someone knows it'll look crappy.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
I am trying to clean up some maps I want to use for a bike trip.
EX:

*I don't know why imgur added all that white space since it's cropped much closer on the file. Maybe because it's a PDF?

I could print this out color, but it seems wasteful and I'd rather it be b/w or greyscale and then use a highlighter on the bike route so it really pops out.

As you can see there are a ton of secondary roads and rivers that I don't need on here.

I only have access to GIMP right now, but essentially same as PS filters.

Is there any filter I can use to knock out the blue and purple but leaving the rest?
Seems like when I play with the levels of blue it will effect all the other colors and not just drop the blue parts out. I tried the luminosity filter, and that's close, but still a little bit busy.

EDIT - I think I may have it. I'm using what GIMP calls the "selection by color tool". Knock out he blu and purple, convert to grey and crank the contrast... sound OK??

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 25, 2012