Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Starting to look for a compact print drying rack (biggest paper would be 13x19). Is there anything cheaper than the art supply catalog stuff? I'm wondering if there's some other product that could work, like a bakery rack or something, that might be a cheaper solution people have come across. And my house is too small to make much use out of hanging from a clothesline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I posted this in a Dorkroom thread too but figured I'd try here as well. I'm looking to design and order press print calendars with lots of pretty photos in them. I ordered one last year and it actually came out pretty good without needing to adjust anything from the proof, but I think that was dumb luck on my part. I now have a better monitor (BenQ) and I'm getting a tiny bit more comfortable with color management with my inkjet printers, and I'd like to be able to make sure my photos are going to look good when converted to CYMK and printed.

The workflow is
1) Edit photo (original is Raw) in Lightroom
2) Export as .jpg
3) Place .jpgs into InDesign calendar document
4) Export as CYMK .pdf
5) upload to print house

My questions

-Full res 100% .jpgs at 300dpi should be fine, right? I don't need to do .tiffs for this, do I?
-AdobeRBG or sRBG?
- What I'd like to be able to do is soft-proof in Lightroom before I export the .jpg? Is that possible, or what's the best I can do to simulate CYMK before I actually convert it in InDesign?
-Is there a better way to do all this?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I'm starting from zero on this so no advice is too basic for me.

Are there any Photoshop alternatives? A quick search suggests neither Photoshop Elements or Gimp can do CMYK (and I can confirm Lightroom won't do it). I'm not completely averse to getting Photoshop but if there was an alternative I might check it out.

e: I'll probably get Photoshop for a month or two and see if I end up finding more uses than just this conversion task. But other suggestions still welcome.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 17, 2019

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
InDesign Question. I'm printing odd-sized greeting cards at home. What I'd like to do is take a large sheet of cardstock and print several identical cards on it. I know you can link text frames to continue a block of text across, but is there a way to link frames so they mirror the same text? And same question with photos, can I drop and arrange a photo in one frame and it will appear the same in the other frames? Or is the only way to do this to get one set of frames how I like them, group them, and then copy/paste additional copies into the page?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HorseHeadBed posted:

I do this sort of thing all the time - design one and then put multiple copies on one page for printing. The great thing about Indesign is that you can place other indesign files, in the same way you would an image. Make one file with the card design, with the document setup being the spread size you want. Then create a new document and ctrl-d to place the first .indd file in it. As it's linked, any changes to the first will be reflected in the second, imposed document (although you may need to manually refresh the links in the links panel).

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Kedo- Yeah, I definitely want to get things laid out efficiently. I'll probably add marks manually to the large sheet rather than import the crop marks. Your suggestion makes sense but I've not really mastered color management for my photos during this process (compared with direct printing of the photo from Lightroom or Canon software) and I'm kind of worried about sending my images though two rounds of .pdf conversion before printing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HorseHeadBed posted:

Just as an additional note, InDesign has a built in script for adding crop marks. Open the scripts panel and it's among all the other included ones. It has options for line length and whatnot, but also whether to put cropmarks around each thing or the group (such as another placed InDesign file).

Woah, that's good to know! One of these days I should actually learn how to use this software!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Really stupid question. A local art museum has a solicitation for a community art exhibit. I'm going to submit a photo I'm printing at home on a pigment-based inkjet. I think the best option is "other" for the sub category, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious from the others, or if I should be looking in "2-dimensional Wall Art > Prints" instead.

Category 2-dimensional Wall Art > Photography
sub categories:
Chromogenic
Dauguerrotype
Digital C Print
Dye Transfer
Gelatin Silver
Mixed Media
Photogravure
Platinum
Other

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 3, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

I think you should be looking in prints.

Thanks! So probably ">Digital Pigment based" out of these

--- Aquatint:
— Digital Pigment-Based:
— Engraving:
— Etching:
— Linocut/Linoleum cut:
— Mezzotint:
— Mixed Media:
— Monotype/Monoprint:
— Photogravure:
— Screenprint/Serigraph/Silkscreen:
— Wood Engraving:
— Woodcut:
— Other:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

devilmonk posted:

Yes for sure 👍

Thanks for that! One more stupid question. When submitting an image of the artwork to a gallery, it's probably ok to submit the appropriate size/resolution version of only the photo, right? As opposed to taking a photo of the framed/matted final physical version.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pandy fackler posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for a quality archival mat board that doesn't totally break the bank? Maybe not something that lasts for 300 years, but 50 would be nice. I'm dipping my toes into self-matting and framing a valuable and sentimental collection of prints before the moldy hellhole I live in does too much damage.

I've had good experience with matboardcenter.com... I haven't shopped around so can't compare to other places but maybe this would be somewhere to start.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recs for high end bypass paper trimmers? My fiskar self-sharpening clearly isn’t so I’m looking at Dahle or Rotatrim. This is for cardstock and photo paper, usually not more than 2 sheets at a time.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Has anyone here been a vendor at a craft/makers market? How does that process work? Do you need to have an actual established business or can anyone be a vendor?

Also, how many pieces would someone need as a minimum to be a vendor?

I had a notion to sell some things at a Halloween market but I don't actually want to run a business

It really depends on the market, but many require a business license and some subset of those will require insurance. Fees can also vary quite a bit. I sell at a chill farmers market occasionally that is around $50 for a tent space but some of the big fairs/craft events are like $600 or more for a weekend.You’ll just need to check.

I’ve also sold in association with some event where there’s no front fee but the ask is a proportion of your sales (I’ve seen from 15% to 50%).

For the juried craft fairs you may have to submit photos of your stuff, so you’ll need some minimum number of designs (3-6 usually) but it will be up to you whether you have lots of copies of a few designs or many different unique pieces.

These things can be fun but they are a lot of work. And if you are outside for the love of god be prepared for wind.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

The business part depends on the state, but the barrier is probably pretty low. I'm in NC and I had to register for a sales tax license, but it was no more complicated than giving over my tax info. There's more complicated ways of forming a business, but the pros and cons of that is mostly out of scope for "I want a booth at a market"

For me in California there was a state level Sales Permit/seller’s permit which was super easy as a “sole proprietor “ business with my name as the biz name. If you have a name other than your personal name you may need to file something for Doing Business As (DBA) to link the biz name to you , but that’s relatively easy too. At least in California it lasts for a long time so there’s no renewal paperwork, although I suppose filing sales tax is in effect keeping your permit current.

There was also a county level business license that some of the bigger places have wanted. This may be more Bay Area specific but I had to file something to be approved for a home business w/out employees or physical sales space for customers, and every year I have to send them my Schedule C to get the license fee waived since I don’t make much money from this.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely do it as a “hobby business” (technical term, I think maybe less than $500 in sales across a couple of events but don’t quote me on that). It’s definitely easier but it might preclude you from joining the bigger events. My wife joins me as an artist at most of our events that either don’t require permits or are casual enough they don’t mind both of us there under my one permit.

When I got started I got one of the “small business for dummies” books and my local Small Business Administration had free 1-on-1 consulting sessions which were also helpful.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Quick photoshop question from a photoshop-incompetent goon. I'm trying to select part of a photo, remove the background, and rescale it for purposes of making die cut stickers.

I've been able to select the object and copy it into a new layer, then select it again and rescale it. The weird thing is there is a faint outline of the original object in the new layer that doesn't rescale and I can't figure out what option in the initial object selection process or command-j copying that created it. It's not just a display artifact because it shows up in an exported png. Any thoughts?

If anyone has their favorite photo bits-into-stickers tutorials that they want to share that would be cool too. I haven't found any that dealt with rescaling the image adding cut lines of a specified size, etc. I feel like I'm in the middle ground of not knowing the stuff that's painfully obvious to people who use photoshop a lot but not being willing to just give the unprocessed photo to VistaPrint to let them do it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll check those options out. Somehow with fiddling around it went away and I've got a design I'm happy enough with to order a small batch.

I'll find some lessons on selection once I brute force a couple more designs. It's definitely not totally intuitive to me yet.