Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

grimjuk posted:

Thanks man, that's probably a better idea. I'd ask in the tattoo megathread, but I've never seen someone post where I'm from. :(

Post anyway! Lots of well-connected artists there, and people travel to get work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

HoboNews posted:

I'm going to repost this here because I'm looking for some people who would actually know something this obscure...:

Giger?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

A really "rookie" Adobe Illustrator CS6 question.

How do I create a symmetrical copy of a path, then connect it with the old one to form a new, connected path? For example, let's say I have this existing path (I'll keep the shape simple):

And I want to create a mirror image, then connect the anchors to give me something like this, but with all of the anchor points nicely connected:

I'm having trouble creating the mirror image, then seamlessly connecting the anchor points. Especially when they intersect at an angle. I hope that made sense?

Slightly different result, but you can actually keep the mirroring live/editable, by going EFFECT > DISTORT & TRANSFORM > TRANSFORM, then set 'copies' to '1', enable 'reflect X,' and move it over a bit. Then, whenever you change the path on the left, the right will update live.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Research 'masking video' then start crying.

Also 'rotoscope', and 'rotobrush' (for AE specifically), and/or 'keying'

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I only have an intuitive understanding of what "expand" does, but it's the rough equivalent of "rasterizing" something in photoshop - it reduces the shape down to being just what you see - any editable effects or transformations (that helped you make the object look how it does now) are stripped away, and it just turns in to an inert shape. Equivalent in the program to a simple rectangle. Any "behind the scenes" math that was being applied is frozen in place. That's bad if you decide you want less zig-zagginess (or more bloating, or more arching etc), because now you're stuck with what you've got. But it's good if you want to do boolean operations on it, or deform it point-by-point, because now the object really IS defined by how it looks on screen - instead of being a base object with editable transforms applied.

Outline stroke just takes your stroke (which is a sort of effect, since you can change the weight and such) and turns it in to a solid shape. But just the stroke itself - the outline of your object. The box on the lower left with the open center controls its color. The object itself (the fill) remains separate. And if you were trying to outline the stroke of an object without one, it wouldn't do anything.

Illustrator is hard to explain, but if you keep messing around you'll get it.

Simpler way to word it would be that "Expand" bakes all dynamic appearance properties.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Web goons, can any of you direct me to a Wordpress plugin that can make a site gallery like this - http://tritonproductions.com/clients/

I've messed with a few plugins but can't seem to find anything. Thanks and sorry for being a buffoon!

Go here and find a full theme for it, not just a plugin-- http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Nessa posted:

Does anyone use Behance as a portfolio site? I seem unable to edit or delete projects, though the FAQ section tells me I should be able to. Is it just being stubborn, or what?

Should be as simple as this, from the main grid--

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Nessa posted:

My problem is that there are no icons when I hover over the project. I go to My Profile under Projects, hover over one and no icons appear at all.

Also, is there a way to reorder projects? I seem to be having a lot of troubles with this. :/

Again, see my image-- the three lines there is where you'd click&drag to reorder. But if you can't see anything when hovering, not sure what the issue would be.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Manky posted:

Well, I use a combination of Dropbox and Crashplan both personally and in the small business I'm doing work for. They have slightly different purposes in my mind. Dropbox I basically treat as a shared folder.

This is the key thing-- Dropbox is a file-sharing service, and Crashplan is an automated set-and-forget backup service. Both can be used for the other, but they focus on & excel at different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

Adobe After Effects question.

How do I improve a moving object's framerate? I'm creating a splash screen for a logo. Vector objects were imported from an Illustrator .AI file. And the objects simply slide in from the slides of the screen, but the output video seems so... choppy. It's just not smooth. How do you smooth out your animations in AE?

Try enabling motion blur. Also, what framerate is the project you're working in? How long is the animation itself?