Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Is it okay in a piece of fiction to talk about another piece of fiction as long as you don't claim it as your own?

For example, can I have my main character be a huge fan of, say, The Cosby Show, and have him constantly talk about how Cliff Huxtable is his role model and even have him emulate some of that character's mannerisms?

I've been assuming that so long as I don't steal the character as my own and I've made the distinction that it is from another piece of well known fiction, then it's kosher to refer to fictional characters as fictional characters. Is this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Thank you, Slashie.

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Slashie posted:

Is the Cosby guy an actual character you're writing? If so are you going to post that here?

No, sorry. The Cosby guy actually sounds like a funny premise, but that was just a random example. Specifically I'm talking about Godzilla. A character in a novella I've written is obsessed with Godzilla and talks about him a lot, and I was wondering if that could land me in some trouble with ToHo (they're the ones who sued that artist for using a tiny image of Godzilla in a collage but this is hardly the same thing).

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I have two questions about manuscript format.

First, what do three number signs # # # signify in a manuscript?

Second, I want to have chapters but I don't want them to be numbered or titled. I want the book to have a simple repeated image at the top corner of each new chapter, but I'd settle for the first letter of each chapter being large, like a storybook. I realize I'm getting ahead of myself but how should I format this in the manuscript? Should I just start on a new page for a new chapter with nothing else to signify that it is in fact a new chapter?

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Thanks, Slashie!

To be clear, should I use the #'s and then start a new page or just have it continuous?