Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ever get right in the middle of writing something only to pause, read back three pages, and stare at the He said-she saids?

Example:

' "Mark, we'll never make it!" She cried as the car revved. "We have to try." He replied. "This is all about her, isn't it?!" Her voice raised enough to carry to the police behind them. "Shut up, woman. This is all about you," He snarled as he slammed the car into gear-'

That sort of thing. Where characters are just talking for whatever reason and you stop and go "Holy poo poo, this sucks." and drop all creative interest in it?

Any suggestions for beating such a thing (other than the obvious one of not looking back)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Slashie posted:

Well, you're never going to completely get rid of that writerly neuroticism, but one thing that jumps out at me is that you aren't actually using the word "said" all that much. The plainer the word, the more it recedes into the background. Also, you pretty much never need to say "he replied." Trust your reader a little. If you've given them an "establishing shot" paragraph at the start of the scene, they know who's there. You don't have to constantly remind them. And if somebody's saying "Mark!" we can assume that's not Mark talking. And I would get rid of that bit about the voice carrying far enough for the police to hear. If you've set up that the police are within earshot, you can let that be background tension without reminding us like that. Bring "the police can hear her" in when the police actually do something. Right now the cops aren't "in frame."

I hope you don't think it's presumptuous of me to rewrite it, but I wanted to throw in some different examples of handling the "saids." One trick I love is to throw it into the middle of the sentence like I did in the fifth line here. Also if you go straight from "character's line" to "character did x" the who-said-what is implied without you having to actually connect the dots.
code:
Establishing sentence here (include names, location, mood, action, etc.).
"Mark, we'll never make it!"
"We have to try," he said, revving the engine.
"This is all about her, isn't it?" she said.
"Shut up, woman," Mark snarled. "This is all about you."
He slammed the car into gear and...
Eh, it's not great, but you get the idea. Mix it up and don't resort to adverbs.

No, you totally rock for giving said example the revamp like that just in case I was having a braindead moment and couldn't entirely wrap my mind around it. Thanks so much. That actually does help quite a bit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

No, that was just sort of 'gently caress, I need an example-okay, random poo poo'.