Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, I don't even know where to start.

My 10-year-old daughter is obsessively writing/drawing her own graphic novel series. She currently has an art class she is taking, but it's traditional stuff and they kind of look at her comics and graphic novel work with bemusement. We are keeping her in the class to give her a solid artistic foundation that might help her comics down the line, but she is pretty prolific about her comic output. The problem is she is 10, and has a hard time with the storytelling part. She has so many ideas in her head, she has to explain to us everything that is going on and while I love her work I really can't follow it.

What are the resources we should be providing her to help her focus her storytelling? I'd love to get her in a class or something, we live in Los Angeles so there has to be some art school with graphic novel classes somewhere, but she's 10 and everything I have found is for high schoolers and up. I'm not looking to rush her along in her development or anything, she is just churning out so much content I am starting to lose track of her pages and I would love for her to find a creative outlet while honing her skills. Any LA area goons with an idea where to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would contact the teachers of the classes you find, and tell them about what you're dealing with and what your goals are. They might be willing to take on a young student, and even if they aren't, they'll know more about local resources than we will.

CaptainViolence posted:

not from LA, but i imagine there's gotta be storyboarding classes of some sort? you might run into the same problem of classes not being directed young enough, but that was the first thing i thought of in terms of skills to translate a story to visuals on a page.

Thanks! I realized she doesn't write out her story before she draws, she just draws like a stream of consciousness. Maybe this is a good direction to help her focus on her story first before putting pencil to page.