Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
New page.

e: It's usually good practice to start the text one-half to two-thirds of the way down the page, so that editors can put any notes they might need on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

Finishing the formatting of my manuscript and I have one thing left that might need changing; if a line of dialogue begins with a tag, indent or no?

ie: X said "ssss" vs "ssss" x said.

Sorry, may have missed your previous post, but what kind of manuscript are we talking about? If just fiction, you indent the first line of all paragraphs after the first of a significant section. Doesn't matter whether speech marks start the paragraph or not.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

InDesign Question. I'm printing odd-sized greeting cards at home. What I'd like to do is take a large sheet of cardstock and print several identical cards on it. I know you can link text frames to continue a block of text across, but is there a way to link frames so they mirror the same text? And same question with photos, can I drop and arrange a photo in one frame and it will appear the same in the other frames? Or is the only way to do this to get one set of frames how I like them, group them, and then copy/paste additional copies into the page?

I do this sort of thing all the time - design one and then put multiple copies on one page for printing. The great thing about Indesign is that you can place other indesign files, in the same way you would an image. Make one file with the card design, with the document setup being the spread size you want. Then create a new document and ctrl-d to place the first .indd file in it. As it's linked, any changes to the first will be reflected in the second, imposed document (although you may need to manually refresh the links in the links panel).

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Kedo- Yeah, I definitely want to get things laid out efficiently. I'll probably add marks manually to the large sheet rather than import the crop marks. Your suggestion makes sense but I've not really mastered color management for my photos during this process (compared with direct printing of the photo from Lightroom or Canon software) and I'm kind of worried about sending my images though two rounds of .pdf conversion before printing.

Just as an additional note, InDesign has a built in script for adding crop marks. Open the scripts panel and it's among all the other included ones. It has options for line length and whatnot, but also whether to put cropmarks around each thing or the group (such as another placed InDesign file).

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

How is Scrievner for ios? Worth the 20$? I'm thinking of something I can use for phone writing/note-taking that isn't word, discord or google docs.

It's OK. It doesn't have all the features of the Mac version, but perhaps was even a bit better for being slightly stripped back. (I find Scrivener a bit all over the place and don't use things like the corkboard.)

Only being able to use Dropbox for syncing between devices was pretty annoying, though.