Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok this one is really stupid but I'm not having any success googling the answer myself; does anyone have an article, video, or just their own tip/guide on how to abstract/simplify/sketch complex patterns/textures? The specific problem I'm running into, and apologies in advance for being such a neck beard, is I'm trying to sketch out my friend's table-top RPG characters and I don't know what to do about chainmail armor - it can't be right that I'm supposed to draw out each link, because that's way too much line work for a sketch, it would be totally at odds with the rest of the drawing and I'd just mess it up.

This has been surprisingly hard to google: I've found excellent videos on how to draw complicated textures realistically,and lots of excellent renderings of chainmail by skilled artists, but I'm more looking some basic tips/guides on how to suggest the pattern with a few lines?

late response but just saw this post which is basically what i do when i need to do chainmail
https://drawthisshitt.tumblr.com/post/187044287284/mutherfucking-chainmail-brush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the guy did it badly in the demonstration and took shortcuts in showing it off, but it's still a very useful usage of tools to do repeating patterns. you just have to be smarter at applying it than the tutorial

if anything, the bigger gaff with that technique is how it doesn't conform to the curvature of forms, there's a lot of mesh transforming that you'd need to do if you wanted things to look proper in that regard.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

anyone experienced with acrylic charm/keychain making? I was trying to find any videos on how they're even made because I want to try making some graphic keychains and was wondering if it was possible to invisibly embed an nfc sticker into a double sided one.

also if it was possible though, would baking it into the acrylic mess with the electromagnetic properties of the nfc?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 10, 2020

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Entenzahn posted:

Hm okay, all that seems fair enough. I've done both Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and drawabox, but I found the first extremely tedious and the second I had to stop because I got tired of drawing boxes (lol).

I get the benefit of trying to draw accurately. But on the flipside, I've seen a lot of artists recommend you keep a sketchbook, and when they demonstrate their own process they will sketch objects or scenery with barely any measuring anything, if at all, with varying degrees of accuracy in the result. Is there a benefit to this as well? I've tried it a couple times but my stuff always comes out a horrible mess. Maybe it's not the best for beginners?

Also while I have everyone's attention, what's the best way to draw something like this accurately? I really like the idea of drawing more plants, but I can never wrap my head around all that foilage.

i find that the way dynamic sketching handles noisy objects is a great way to start sketches on trees and foliage of the like

basically just start with the envelope shape of the the form then 2, divide that space up into the major masses of the form (these don't necessarily have to be circles, just some level of abstraction). then depending on which exhibits a larger contrast point, start 'cutting' out the shadow or light masses from the forms to start knocking in volume. depending on how clear you want the silhouette shape, it's up to you if you want to try to replicate the exact shape more, but there's a lot to be gained from being a bit more freeform and flowy with it as well. trees and brushes always love the use of broken lines to provide a 'natural' look to the silhouette of its masses as well. the same practice can be used for other masses such as light masses and flowers as well. from there you basically take it as far as you can doing refining steps to clarify the sketch and such

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Springfield Fatts posted:

This might be the wrong thread, but I couldn't find a "photoshop" thread even though this is a Gimp question.

Anyone know how to keep the original size of a image when pasting to a new one? For example I have an image that's 35mm but when pasted as a new layer on a new image it shrinks to 8mm for some reason. I didn't see a setting that would cause this.

match the 'dpi' value across the photos

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

off the wall question, been into the habit of doing more gesture/life drawings for warmup recently and croquis/quickposes can only go so much without being stagnant. i have a shitload of sets and stuff i gathered throughout the years, does anyone here know if there's a simple free slideshow function or app that i can use to replicate that stuff? XNView has a function but can only go up to 100 seconds per slide when I would like some more freedom to go to 5 or 10 minutes to do longer poses. I don't really expect much, but are htere any other fellow artists that have found a viable solution?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

analyze the music it'll be accompanied with, well i mean most songs will have the same sort of story structure of introduction build up, climax, falling action, conclusion. chart out and label whatever clips you have within the 30 minutes into those categories and wring out some creative juice

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

a7m2 posted:

Are there any beginner mistakes that I should look out for? I'm really not all that familiar with the technique.

Just watching Bob Ross doesn't really do much for actual learning other than mimicking. I'm on phone right now so can't link but check out James gurney on YouTube for a more pragmatic approach to starting pleinair painting like it sounds like you're going to be doing. I know he uses mostly gouache but try to learn more of the basic ideas.
Namely limit your palette absolutely foremost. For reasonable 'regular' photos or vistas, I'd just entirely use the three cardinal colors and white. Interpret the changing hues within a piece as 'more' or 'less' of a color. For pleinair unless you're painting a ton of flowers or something, you really don't tend to see bright saturated single tones at all, so most values you'll mix will have at least the tiniest bit of every color to Grey it out a bit. Id approach a particular mood by using a triad of secondaries or if there's a particular mood to the piece then I'd start adding additional variants of similar hues to achieve more nuance to like colors within the piece.
There's some other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head rn but I always recall struggling with traditional painting until I was introduced to the idea of deliberately limiting yourself to force the piece to make more cohesive sense.
Oh yeah, and to go back to the idea of 'greying' out your colors by adding a bit of other colors what I mean is that adding a colors complementary naturally cancels it out so adding a tiny bit of purple (red and blue) to yellow creates a yellow leaning Grey, blue plus orange (and here's one of the one spots I'll make an exception to bring up burnt umber as a wonderful 5th paint to contain on the palette as it's a generic good earth tone and also combines with blues amazingly well due to it being a combination of red, yellow, and black [so yes burnt umber and most umvers and siennas are essentially darkened oranges]) creates a cool undertone Grey.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shaocaholica posted:

How to make halftone like this:

Its like squares. I've played with the PS halftone filter and also 'bitmap' halftone conversion settings but nothing is coming close.

edit: sorry screen cap is not 1:1

i'm sure there's prob some automatic methods in csp or whatnot but here's photoshop magic to just do it yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehZ9kMDZD0

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

mispost

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 15, 2023

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

instagram's desktop experience is purposefully poo poo to convince you to migrate to the app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

just follow the same method pewdiepie did to learn drawing over a month and just copy and trace exactly the kind of stuff you want to draw and you'll most likely improve way faster than constantly detouring trying to learn all the fundamentals