Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
My grandfather painted and sketched a tremendous amount during his life, but didn't sell much of his work. I have probably hundreds of his sketches, and dozens of his paintings. I spent years doing conservation quality framing, so I know how to store it and care for it, but I never studied art or art history. I am interested in finding out, from an artistic standpoint, how his work would be classified and getting some kind of review / critique of it if possible, and maybe trying to put together a show of his work in a local space. I don't have delusions of grandeur or anything that all of this stuff is worth anything (and I'm not looking to sell it really anyway). I don't really know how to go about this though. Should I go through it all and photograph it to create a sort of portfolio, and then talk to galleries? Does anyone have any experience or pointers doing this sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Exclamation Marx posted:

The Home recording sticky in the Musician's Lounge might be able to help you better?

I have a question, is there a better/more specific name for these kinds of 2-tone, floral, ornamental patterns?

I don't know what the patterns themselves are called, but in fabric you would typically find this sort of thing as "floral jacquard" or "floral brocade"

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Isn't damask really just another type of jacquard fabric? Something where you would commonly see such a pattern, but not really a name for the patterns themselves.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Laser cutting 1/4" Baltic birch plywood is super standard. Do some test cuts for sure, but unless you are using a thick plywood it should be fine.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
And put an original signature on the print, in the whitespace just outside the image.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

lofi posted:

Normal spray fix should be fine. I generally stick with hairspray unless it's a superfancy piece.

If you have any desire that the paper not yellow over time, use an acid-free fixative instead of hairspray. The difference in the appearance (and brittleness) of a framed work on paper after 10 years is quite substantial when framed with non-acid free materials, vs looking essentially brand new. If you're just making stuff for yourself and really don't care, then do whatever, but if you sell art to someone who may frame it, use an acid free spray.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

lofi posted:

That's what I said. :cheeky:

I spent a number of years framing art, and it pains me sometimes to see what people do with stuff after spending hours and hours creating it!

I've reframed stuff that's been in non acid-free material for 5 years and it looks terrible compared to stuff that's been in acid-free material for 30 or more. It's just a sore spot for me :)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Phlegmish posted:

Using GIMP now but now there's an extra challenge of everything being in Dutch

I managed this so far:

Honestly, I think that's pretty close, it just doesn't have the gradual top-down color change.

I'm going to submit it, maybe the color thing is acceptable. Stay tuned.

GIMP definitely has english language support.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, but they installed it in Dutch, presumably since that's the language of my OS.

Thanks! I just submitted these instead. If this doesn't get accepted they're just trolling me.

I can't imagine they'll deny those. Flemish Belgium right? There are a whole bunch of regional flags with slight variations on that lion.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a 3D printing thread somewhere? Not sure if it would be here or in inspector gadgets. I did browse a bit and didn’t see one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

dog nougat posted:

I've had an idea/sort of obsession with altarpieces for a while, and want to make one. Ideally I'd make it out of wood or vacuum formed plastic, but I don't have access to a wood shop or the money to make that happen. Paper mache is basically my best option. I'd like to make it archival if at all possible, but that seems difficult without using acid-free fibers to make the whole thing ($$$). I have a stack of old newspapers, which I'm sure are not acid/lignin free. I'm curious about the longevity of using those fibers, but encasing them an acrylic medium or PVA. I suspect the acids would still eventually eat through fibers and possibly react with the encasement material and the whole thing would eventually collapse or lose it's structure.

Anyone have any better knowledge about archival paper mache or have any ideas about neutralizing the ph of the paper to make this work in a more long-term way?

Newspaper tends to be pretty high in lignin, and will yellow/deteriorate quite rapidly in the grand scheme of things. There are deacidifying sprays you can buy, but I am not sure that would be cheaper or more effective than using acid free paper to begin with.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If the camera has a fixed angle with respect to a line drawn through the center of the globe, then yes, as it ascends the horizon line will get lower on the page.

That's your example at any rate - a camera looking perpendicular to the body of a rocketship taking a (unrealistic) straight shot straight up from the surface of the earth. Eventually the horizon will no longer be in the frame.

On a smaller scale, such as standing up from sitting, any such effect is irrelevant. Also our natural view isn't a fixed angle like that.

Edit: to the above poster's point, yes 100%. The horizon line and the vanishing point are only inherently related if you are looking at (or near enough in relative terms) the horizon!

If you lie on your back and stare up at a skyscraper, the vanishing point has nothing to do with the horizon, for example.

armorer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 18, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hi! I have a bunch of trading cards I want to display in a large picture frame. I'm experimenting with different ways of accomplishing this, and I'm curious if there's a gentle adhesive that would hold a paper card to a backing without damaging the cards. Any suggestions? (yes I know I can put them into sleeves, that's not my first choice)

My inclination here is to just say "No". This might be possible with an acid free repositionable adhesive spray, but I think the card backs would still end up being damaged. If you don't want to damage the cards, the safest option by far is going to be to sleeve them. After that you could cut a multi-windowed mat, and tape each card sleeve in place with acid free tape from the back side of the mat, then back the whole package with acid free foam board. That would be the "correct" way to go about this. It would ensure that the cards are not directly damaged by the adhesive, and also not damaged (yellowed/embrittled) by their time spent in the frame. Cutting a multi-windowed mat like that is a big pain in the rear end if you don't have the right tools and experience, made harder as the window count increases, although at least all the windows in this case would be the same size and in a grid pattern.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The mounting corners are a decent idea. I really would avoid repositionable adhesives though.

Edit: For context, I did professional picture framing for about 4 years, although it's been quite a while.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pondex posted:

I'm doing a translation of a short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne into Danish. Young Goodman Brown. I can't figure out the exact meaning of this sentence though.

Does he mean that he knows Goodman Brown's family as well as he knows any puritan family, or that he knows them as particularly good puritans? And why is it no trifle to say? Is he emphasizing that he's serious?

I take that to mean he knows their family as well as any puritan family, and that it is a significant statement. He does then go on to cite specific things he's done with Goodman's father, implying that they've been close in the past.

It's weird to say "as well as any ..." in this context, because these days it implies the opposite of what appears to be said here. Still though I think that's what it's saying.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pondex posted:

The older man is probably the Devil.

It makes so much more sense now why his tales were so violent.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Snowy posted:

Is there a thread for jewelry makers? I have a slightly silly question about casting something in gold but I haven’t been able to find the right thread for it

This one maybe, although the discussion is more gemstone focused typically - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894756

Sometimes it comes up in the metalworking thread as well (but it's really not the right thread for it) - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can anyone recommend a consumer-priced printer that can print on 8"x10" or larger rigid illustration board 0.3" thick? Does such a thing even exist? It would need to be horizontal feed or vertical feed. Does not need to do color but that would be a nice plus.

I want to do lineart digitally and then print onto an illustration board to do color traditionally but I haven't had much luck finding non-industrial printers that can handle rigid materials.

Can you print on thinner card stock or paper, and then spray mount it to a thicker board?