Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone have any good resources for shooting and editing skate videos?

I apologize for my incredibly 90's question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Editing: I use Davinci Resolve, which is a) free, and b) entirely powerful enough for reasonably complex video editing. For example, this trailer for my game was made entirely with Davinci Resolve.

Shooting video in real life is an entirely different set of skills that I have no practice in, so I can't help you there beyond basic advice like "think about composition and lighting, and plan out your shots in advance". Good luck!

I love free.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

VelociBacon posted:

I'll just add that skate videos are generally shot with a camera held around the knees, very close to the skater and crucially with a fisheye lens. There was a specific camera they used a lot in the 90s with a really easy top grip that allowed the operator to hold it at that height while being upright enough to keep up with the skater. Good luck and share your poo poo here skate or die ty

e: https://www.engadget.com/sony-vx1000-defined-the-skate-video-130032368.html

This is all good. Appreciated.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GWBBQ posted:

If $600 is in your budget, get the DJI Mini 2 Fly More kit (comes with 3 batteries, a case, and accessories) and the Litchi app. Litchi can make it automatically follow a moving subject while recording, just don't get too close, the last thing you want to do is risk taking propellers to the face. Your skater will probably be wearing sunglasses anyway, make sure they also wear gloves in case something goes wrong and they have to swat it away, but you should be flying above their head or a few feet to the side and be ready to pull up and away if it gets too close (practice this ahead of time with a spotter who will shout "cut!" if it gets too close). Chase shots are safer. Also note that in the US it's illegal to operate a drone from inside a moving vehicle unless you're licensed for it.

A bike and a GoPro or two with a handlebar mount for side or views and b roll, and a Manfrotto Magic Arm or other extension attached to the frame for low angles or closer shots without getting too close and tripping the skater should get you most of what you need. Grab a chunk of plastic (50 cent plates at Walmart work nicely) to tape onto the lowest part of the arm with some foam between the plate and the arm so you have some warning if it starts to scrape without trashing the arm. Again, keep off to the side for safety.

For filming, stick with the 180° rule while shooting and keep to one side while in motion; the exception would be if you want to show multiple angles in slow motion or split screen. For a drone shot, you could do a full circle as an establishing shot, either start with an overview of your filming area and circle the skater while spiraling down or start facing them and spiral up to show it. You could also circle them on foot or with a camera mounted to a bike for this. If you want ideas for shots or camera setup, I can sketch some out for you.

For audio, you can use the mics on the cameras, but I recommend also attaching a small audio recorder directly to the board or above the skater's ankle to get audio to mix in.

For editing, use a continuous shot as your primary track and cut away to different angles for focus. if you're not sure how to arrange it, add a metronome track to audio while you're editing it.

Tenterhooks posted:

RIDE Channel put out an absolutely brilliant series called In Focus nearly 10 years ago that covers a lot of the theory behind shooting and editing skate videos (and photos). Has contributions from some of the best in the biz. Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6127F57BA3448E57

Some of the tech will have changed since but it's still really informative.

Serious thanks for all the info!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I, uh, need a tool I can feed pictures into that will spit out a super cheesy slideshow with the absolute least amount of work possible. Extras I'd like but am not married too include it looking lovely and low effort, and being able to use that green day song that people always use for slideshows. An online, in browser, tool would be juicy af.

Any ideas?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Make a Google Photos album? They have a built-in slideshow feature. No music support, but you could always just use a media player alongside.

Boom.

Duh.

And thank you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

cumpantry posted:

here my advice. Don't do that

The door seems like not the door for this idea, ya?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

OK, how about some useful advice? If you just want to dunk on my aesthetic choices, then kindly gently caress off. If you have some actual guidance, then go ahead.

Also to be clear, the colors in that example gradient aren't the actual colors, I was pretty lazy with grabbing them because that's all poo poo on an uncalibrated screen and doesn't have any bearing on reality.

You could go to a place like Habitat for Humanity restore, find a badass and cheap door that would look great in that pattern.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Call me nuts but that seems like the type of pattern some thought and painters tape could handle.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah but then you wouldn't have 9 pairs of vinyl cyberpunk pasties to put over your nips when you show up to defend yourself at the emergency HoA meeting

:hmmyes:

Wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A few nice quality sketch pads and some good pens? Maybe like a set of Stabilo (spelling?)fine liners and some acid free heavyweight paper, spiral bind is nice for just grabbing out on a whim and traveling around with.

There are better ideas than this.