Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure if this or SH/SC is the right place to ask this, but I'll go ahead. I'm trying to draft up a scheduling design document to illustrate to a manager how new employee shift schedules will work for the year. I have the format roughly drafted out in an excel spreadsheet, but I'd like to put it in a nice chart format.

Can anyone suggest a program that is relatively easy to work with, and capable of making nice visual charts?

Thanks

Excel or Illustrator if you're feeling fancy. Maybe Chartwell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

The Worst Muslim posted:

Wow, you're really rude.

Something Awful dot com.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Perhaps you can use some of that sweet, sweet Furcadia cash to buy a copy of legit image editing software.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

The pHo posted:

Is there anywhere in CC, or another SA subforum, where people talk about their screenprint collection? I was lucky enough to nab one of Joshua Budich's mystery tubes on C. Monday, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one here who picked one up, be nice to see what other people got.

I don't think so, but feel free to start one if you want. Screenprinting is a lot of fun, and everybody loves looking at pretty pictures.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
In Photoshop: Create a transition frame, then Filter > Blur > Motion Blur. Adjust angle and distance to taste.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Most artists are gigantic narcissists who'll dump pages and pages of masturbatory drivel at the drop of the hat. They're just saying, "Tell us briefly and concisely who you are, what you do, and where you've done it, in places that are worth mentioning."

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
see, I consider myself an "ideas" kinda guy

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

Is there a thread for livestreaming videogame broadcasterin?

Check the Let's Play subforum.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Here's a question for graphic designers/photographers/illustrators:

How do you present your portfolio that you bring to interviews? Do you have a printed book, an iPad, something else? I really need to update mine, just looking at all my options.

The last two interviews I went to I just brought my laptop with a local copy of my portfolio site (in case I couldn't access the internet at their office). Most of it was conversation about my involvement and process with the work, not fetishizing the container it was presented in.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Going to disagree here, but only for designers, and only really for web designers specifically. Your portfolio site says just as much about your professional capabilities as the examples of work. I've seen a lot of cases of people working in teams where their site design, coding, and wayfinding obviously communicated weren't doing as much heavy lifting as others.

Illustrators, etc. yeah, definitely a different story. Show me your work as quickly and with as little fuss as possible, then make it incredibly easy for me to contact you.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

cmykjester posted:

Okay thanks for the help, I do hang on the originals anyways, I have a 1TB External, and 3TB in my PC. It's crazy.

If you're working with the Creative Suite, most source files can be linked and placed between apps and updated on the fly. Don't flatten and destroy if you don't have to.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

If have the permission(s) to, maybe upload them to a stock site and turn the aggregate earnings into donated funds for the shelter? It's less sexy an undertaking, but it may turn into a decent enough source of unanticipated help over time.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

scarycave posted:

I have a question. One of such magnitude that it may cause you emotional distress.
You think its better to scan things gray scale or black and white? I know they have the answer online, but I'm looking for a more personal response.

It depends on the intent. Text and line art? Black and white with a high, 1200+ DPI setting. Artwork or photography with a spectrum of values between 100% white and 100% black? Greyscale, at 300-600 DPI.

pipes! fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 4, 2014

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. However, I'm trying to avoid clipping masks because I've run into printing issues when using them. Any workarounds that don't involve the use of clipping masks?

Make the shadow with a gradient map, and don't use any raster effects, then divide the shadow along your work area edge and delete the excess.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Creepy Goat posted:

I still don't know what they're after :saddowns:

Ask them for examples of things they think are similar, or what they'd like to see. A lot of people can't properly articulate this sort of stuff, but usually have an idea of what they want.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Also A Thing To Make Photoshop Not As Terrible is to pay attention to repetitive tasks you find yourself doing a lot, and either bind them to a custom keyboard shortcut or automate it away via an action, if you can.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

melon cat posted:

A question about backing up my work in Adobe CS. I'm trying to use CrashPlan for backing up my work, but it's taking forever to upload my work to their cloud (there's ~40GB to backup). According to CrashPlan, it'll take 8 days to backup my files, most of which are work done in Adobe CS. Am I better off biting the bullet and just upgrading to Adobe Creative Cloud and using their cloud's backup service?

I use CrashPlan and love it. When I switched over, I elected to use their Seeded Backup option to offset the huge initial upload. I'd shy away from Creative Cloud, especially if it's your livelyhood; it's always best to own your own data and Creative Cloud isn't, um, the best example of a reliable cloud service out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Travakian posted:

This is the key thing-- Dropbox is a file-sharing service, and Crashplan is an automated set-and-forget backup service. Both can be used for the other, but they focus on & excel at different things.

Yeah, this. I mean, if you wanna do backups The Best Way, have 3 backups: an onsite backup, another onsite backup of that backup in case the first one fucks up, and a third offsite, ideally versioned so you can restore from different points in time.