Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impper
May 10, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Are there any suggestions for DeviantArt-like sites for writing, that don't suck?

Searching Yahoo Answers has brought up writing.com, indyfluency.com, chapteread.com, and fanstory.com, but before I sign up to four sites to check them all out I'd like to hear from anyone who knows about dedicated writing communities on the internet.

EDIT: I may also post this in the resources thread once I get an answer. Thanks in advance!

Zoetrope.com is the best for this. There are a lot of good reviewers, a lot of good writers, and even better, the editors of Zoetrope All-Story peruse the highly-rated stories. There are also requirements for critiquing (you must critique 5 pieces for every one you submit for criticism). Really, the best part is that not only will your pieces definitely get good critiques, but you can also see the work that your critics are churning out themselves. I've looked at a few of those sites, and they seemed to be pretty particularly bad. Stories that were objectively terrible (it's been a few months since I really looked into the writing forums, so hopefully I'm not trashing the wrong sites) and rife with crippling mechanical errors were getting rave reviews. It seemed like a big ego-rubbing festival... something that Zoetrope definitely is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impper
May 10, 2003

Haha. I clicked the first one and thought, "This isn't too bad for a sixteen year old writer." Then I clicked the second one and, well, :frog:

Impper
May 10, 2003

I have some free time recently, so I was thinking about how to get into drawing and design. I was never really interested in these things in elementary or grade school--I never drew things, I spaced out in art class, I never touched photoshop or any of the pagemaker type programs. I did some magazine covers that drew some praise in my high school, but that's ancient history as it was 8 or so years ago(done in Microsoft Publisher--is that program still around?). Is there such a thing as a drawing 101 class for somebody who's never so much as picked up a pencil? Similar things for photoshop, etc.? Or would it be better to take a self-learning approach?

Impper
May 10, 2003

My email's jchristy41@yahoo.com

I'll take a look at it. I'm in the process of writing a (first) novel myself.

Impper
May 10, 2003

My book would be done but I felt like I was writing an essay the whole time grauaghhh