Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but I figure it's the least annoying place to start - I recently bought a new iMac and my old scanner isn't playing nice with it. I've been looking to buy a new one for ages but, as with many accessories, it's difficult to know where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I [i]mostly[/] scan b&w line drawings at 300dpi+ but do some general purpose stuff too. I don't really need anything bigger than A4, just so long as it works with Mountain Lion and isn't super expensive (I want something decent but preferably under £100, think the one I've been using for years cost me like £60 and the quality has been fine). Also, if there is a better place to ask about this stuff, if someone could point me there, that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Photoshop question: Photoshop seems to have stopped remembering layer visibility when I duplicate a group. It'll now turn on every layer in the duplicate when I drag a group to the New Layer button or select Duplicate Group from the menu regardless of whether they were visible or hidden in the original. I could've sworn it wasn't doing this yesterday and it's really frustrating. I can duplicate a group with all layers 'off' and they'll all be turned 'on' in the copy. Is there a switch I've flipped somewhere?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Pretty niche mechanical pencil question. I recently bought a Rotring 600 and am looking to pick up a few replacement erasers. Thing is, it's kinda unclear which to buy. The link for spare erasers on the official page lists those for the 800/800+ or the Tikki MP & Rapid Pro and I'm unclear if these'll fit as they look slightly different to the one in my 600. I'm not having much luck on Amazon either.

If someone uses these pencils and can confirm/deny compatibility, that'd be magic. Alternatively if someone has better Google skills than me and can find a 600 set with certainty (I'm in the UK so trying to avoid massive postage fees for £3 erasers), that'd be magic too. I've submitted a customer service query to Rotring but the form seems geared around orders & returns over general questions so I dunno if they'll get back to me.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I just listened to the Blank Check episode about The Nightmare Before Christmas and have been watching a fair amount of stop motion behind-the-scenes stuff as a result. One thing that keeps bugging me: the character models are often held up by rigs, which allows the animators to create poses that'd be impossible just by balancing the figures (walking, jumping etc). Often these rigs seem like they'd be in shot. I understand that if the movie was made nowadays, painting them out digitally would be trivial, but I'm not sure how they did it when they were shooting on film in 1993. Any info / links would be appreciated.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Literally A Person posted:

Anyone have any good resources for shooting and editing skate videos?

I apologize for my incredibly 90's question.

RIDE Channel put out an absolutely brilliant series called In Focus nearly 10 years ago that covers a lot of the theory behind shooting and editing skate videos (and photos). Has contributions from some of the best in the biz. Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6127F57BA3448E57

Some of the tech will have changed since but it's still really informative.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Is there a way to create some kind of 'smart swatch' in Photoshop that will you let you change a colour in one place and it'll automatically update it everywhere else you've used it? I know how to play around with masks and adjustment layers and things to recolour an image but because of the way I set up my illustration files, with tons of layer groups, something that behaves like Paragraph Styles styles in InDesign would be amazingly useful. I see there's a Styles panel, but as far as I can tell it won't let me adjust and update a style (eg change the Colour Overlay) once it's been added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Photoshop has a color replacer tool, which might do what your asking, but it's a little more manual than just swapping a swatch.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/replace-colors.html#color-replacement-tool

Had a play with this. It doesn't really help with the problem in my question but I can see it being useful in other situations so thanks! Always nice to learn a new tool.

niethan posted:

Could you switch to Illustrator?

Edit: or possibly using smart objects could be a solution in ps

Illustrator's a no-go I'm afraid. Hand-drawn artwork and a heavy reliance on the layering system in Photoshop. I'll have a play around with smart objects but I've got a feeling it might add more steps than my current solution.

More often than not I have a bunch of layer groups for each component in an illustration (say a group of characters - each character has a group with a separate layer for the linework, the overall fill, colour A / colour B / shadows etc). This lets me keep things really flexible. I work with quite limited palettes so Colour A will be the same throughout maybe 50 different layer groups and it can be a pain to change each one. For quickness, I usually just create a flattened version and do some quick and dirty image>adjustments>replace colour or hue/sat sliding to get an idea.

My best solution for swapping a colour while maintaining the layering is to make sure I label (or colour) the layers really consistently. That lets me search for them and use 'Paste Layer Style' to add a different Colour Overlay to every occurrence of 'Colour A'. I could probably figure out an Action or two to speed this up even more. It can bugger things up a bit though because it overwrites the opacity slider and I sometimes use that for a bit of value variation.

Still, my dream would be to build a little palette of 5 swatches and just watch changes to those propagate throughout a Photoshop file wherever I'd used them.