Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Has anyone here been a vendor at a craft/makers market? How does that process work? Do you need to have an actual established business or can anyone be a vendor?

Also, how many pieces would someone need as a minimum to be a vendor?

I had a notion to sell some things at a Halloween market but I don't actually want to run a business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Thanks, I didn't even think about needing a license, and I haven't even thought about how to accept payment.

This sounds like a lot of stuff to set up for something I just want to do once for fun, but at least I have all summer to figure it out.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Anyone have tips on actually getting a booth/table at a craft fair? I made a bunch of things, got a business license, and tried out a practice display so I think I'm ready for a market, but I cannot seem to find anyone that is interested in letting my sign up for a table. I've e-mailed lots of venues/market hosts and either they don't e-mail me back or they direct me to a google form and then stop replying.

I honestly thought this would be easier to sign up for one of these things but maybe that was naive on my part. Or maybe my stuff isn't a good fit for the markets around here? The lack of communication or feedback is very frustrating.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

dupersaurus posted:

You definitely want to spend some time visiting the markets to get a sense of the vibe they're cultivating since each one is different and there will be some that just won't match to you. To start off with, look for smaller ones since they might be less selective. It's real easy for these things to get swamped with submissions, so you really just have to spray-and-pray, and then slum around a bit as you get your legs.

Yeah that's the impression I'm getting from these limited interactions, that I don't fit into the usual mold of craft fair people around here so it's just easier to ignore me. The whole reason I started making stuff was because I was sick of the soap/candles/artisan dog treats/clay earrings vendors that I see at all of these markets and wanted to see something different, but maybe there is a reason I've never seen something different in the first place?

Also my stuff is horror-themed, and I live in an area of the US that doesn't have a regular oddities/dark market so I've been trying to find upcoming Halloween stuff.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I have a neon sign of a goat's head that would look nice in that area. A real conversation piece

Deadite fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 8, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I bought a 5 foot skeleton and I want to figure out a way to articulate it like it’s a big puppet. Does anyone have any knowledge on how this is done? I’ve seen things like that before where the puppet is mounted in front of a person wearing all black, like in the Lion King broadway show, but I don’t know how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I just want to figure out a way to mount the skeleton in front of me and have it mimic my movements. Here's the best video I could find to illustrate what I'm after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNWMfciB7Cw

So I think I'll have to cut the skeleton apart and replace these limited movement joints with eye bolts that are hooked into each other? That would make everything looser and more fluid. Then I can mount the skeleton on black PVC pipe, or maybe there's a better way to do it?

The skeleton is glow in the dark, and I've got big black light outdoor floodlights, so the goal is to do some goofy skeleton dancing on Halloween night while we're handing out candy.