Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I didn't want to make a whole thread for this: Is anyone here on Dribbble? I really want to get an invite but I have no leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is Photoshop the only program you have access to? I think After Effects would deal with something like this way easier.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Depends. I have a 113mb of a long webpage design, with lots and lots of big background images. I've tried my best to remove all uneccesary elements and use smart objects when I realistically can, and that mother fucker eats up ~20gb in scratch data when I'm editing it. And I'm just on a 128gb SSD Macbook Pro.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean if you want to be really lazy, PowerPoint? You get shapes, shadows, text effects etc. Really easy to use too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What you're doing should work, can you post some screens of it in illustrator and in photoshop?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Regardless, both resized pngs look fine. Ofcourse the edges look a little rough when you blow up a small image, I don't think there's any conceivable way to get it even crisper.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You could try that here. You could also offer like $20-$30 on SA Mart and someone well probably do a pretty awesome job on it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In my experience, when I'm hiring a designer, I don't really care about the design of their site. I'm just looking to get to their portfolio and see examples as quickly as possible. If I was job hunting I would probably just flesh out a behance profile and send that with my resume.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it's a web designer and they're expected to code I'm okay with seeing projects they've been working and talking to them about their role in that project, I don't need to see it on their portfolio. Don't get me wrong though, if they create a gorgeous portfolio it can easily sway me, but more often the opposite has happened.

Regardless when we interview creatives we give them a white paper assignment and weight that significantly more than anything else because it gives us the best idea of their skills with both design and communication / collaboration.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LINKED OBJECTS HAVE BEEN ADDED TO PHOTOSHOP!!!!!

EVERYBODY DANCE!!!!!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spider wisdom posted:

I have a Photoshop question!

I recently had to reinstall Windows and the CS6 suite with it. Previously, selecting an object with Move would allow me to scale it immediately, without having to create a shortcut or Edit > Transform > Scale. Is this an option somewhere in Preferences or was I magically bugged or something? Creative Cloud PS at work doesn't do it either, and I got around it by setting my own shortcut, but man was it handy hitting V and being able to scale.

If you're asking what I'm thinking, the transform box isn't showing when you have the move tool enabled? There is a check box for Show Transform Controls in the top tool options, or you can press cmd/ctrl+t to show them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is it just an art porfolio? Is it all single pieces or do you have different collections with pieces in them?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can't link because I'm lazy and on my phone now, but Squarespace has a nice, super clean portfolio template that is just big thumbs on a white bg that link to a dedicated page where you can write a blurb about the piece.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The opacity toggle will affect the transparency of that whole layer and its effects, if it's at 0% then you're going to see nothing.
The fill toggle will affect only the objects in that layer, but not the effects.

So before they added in vector strokes in CS6, the way to have say an outlined shape would be to create a shape, give it a fill of 0%, and apply a stroke through blending options.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can change the color profile by going to Image -> Mode -> CMYK Color. When you bring up the color dialog you can see CMYK percentages on the bottom right.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How often will you be editing psd files? Because Adobe offers 30 day trials.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you happen to have an iPhone? I know this guy made an app specifically for one second a day movies.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think you can drag one of the anchors to either extend or rotate the type area. Don't know it 100% but something along those lines.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hold alt before clicking.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just anytime you make your text outlines, have the original text somewhere off canvas. I don't know how I've been doing design professionally for this long and still sometimes completely forget what font I was using. Sigh.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You don't NEED to keep the logo itself as editable text, it's just smart to ether document the font used or have it exist somewhere else. You never know when it might be needed again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The title seems to be just "Red Poppies and Larkspur".

Tip: you can actually search by images in google, so I took your imgur URL and googled that, and it took me to similar images.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/clipping-masks.html

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Clients can have valid suggestions hidden behind those retarder statements, you just need to massage them out of them.

Maybe they think it doesn't scale well, is hard to identify from far away, they want less colors, rely on a mark more than text, etc.

They just have no idea how to say it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you go to Object > Expand, it will make objects from the texture.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Flash CC question:

I have Flash CC 13.1.0.226. As far as I know, it's the latest update.

It is not. Sounds like you don't have Flash CC 2014. I just checked my version number and it's 14.0.0.110.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Traditionally Illustrator but nowadays it seems like I can send Photoshop PDFs without complaints which is great for me because I'm more comfortable with it. If you're using Photoshop just make sure you're starting at 300dpi and you should be good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Captain Mog posted:

I am asking this on behalf of my boyfriend. He's been working for a small graphic design/silk-screen shop for going on two years now and is looking to try something new since his boss is turning into a loving psycho. He also works occasional paid website design/graphic design jobs on the side, such as designing fliers, local bands' album covers, ect. He has a big portfolio of graphic design work but he has never received anything other than a high school diploma. He's also never had any other formal graphic design job aside from his current job. Will he be hurt by his lack of degree if he applies to "big time" graphic design agencies?

I can only speak for marketing / technology companies, never worked at an agency. We couldn't give less of a poo poo. At the end of the day it comes down to your portfolio, your interview ( where we have you white board a design solution ), and how you complete a case study we send out post interview.

Our UI designer never went to college and he's a rock solid designer that crushed everyone else who interviewed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Being an ignorant Photoshop guy, how is edge defining with the rotobrush in AE? Because I've used the rotobrush once and if you could blur the edges you could make something that isn't great, but passable, pretty quickly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I believe you got to expand your zig zag first. Look at the actual shape, it's still a circle, so it's just applying that patterned stroke. You need to turn the zig zag stroke into an actual shape before dividing it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Give #chatterbox vertical-align:top.

EDIT: For what it's worth your site annoys me. If you're just trying to show off your reel, make the page just the embed of your reel centered. That 100% takes away your personality and creativity of the page, but it's not going to turn people off.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 5, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It could just be that you're in the middle of things and we shouldn't be judging it yet. Like I said, if your reel is really what you want people to see, then just show them the reel. Seems like a moot conversation for now then and it would be better for you to ask for feedback when the page is actually done (unless you need any more help with putting things together).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also be VERY careful when you start messing with scrolling. Right now your main site, http://kodie.me/, is very jankity on its horizontal scrolling (not smooth, was jumping left and right for me) and can easily get people to just leave your site from frustration.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's nice my work pays for my Creative Suite CC and the license allows me to have it on my home machine as well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Um open it like anything else?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are you talking about Window > Application Frame?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sure you can. The risk is: Is this a big enough company that they would try to take legal action against you, and are you comfortable possibly burning this bridge?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

While it starts to suck as you get a couple of levels deep in complexity, keynote is amazing for spitting out animated movies with low effort. For someone who doesn't want to manage the complexity of full on video editing software, I think it's a decent in between.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And aren't retina screen screenshots at like 114 dpi?

Pixels have gotten a hell of a lot less important in terms of laying out a website, but you still need to consider resolution of raster stuff especially when trying support high res devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Move to hourly and you'll have less revisions.