Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

pipes! posted:

chalkboard paint

I painted a couple of walls at my old place with that stuff, it works pretty well. I put a couple of coats of magnetic paint down first, then chalkboard stuff on top of it so that I could stick magnets to it.

I would get one of those ledges to put underneath it, otherwise you are going to have chalk dust all over your place.

quote:

Q: I get the idea of model release and copyright, but what about them submitting a photo that shows some random person or brand in the shot -- say a COKE bottle. Where would we stand in getting the winning picture enlarged and sold?

For what you're doing you don't need to worry about releases/trademarks or any of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

General Ripper posted:

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION
What are good papers to use for lino block printing, and later screen printing when i have some money?

If you want good, cheap poster paper I always printed on French Paper.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Beat. posted:

can anyone recommend an online vendor that will sell colored gildan hoodies or something similar with a good reputation, that isn't ebay, for silk-screening onto?

broderbros.com
ssactivewear.com

You'll need an EIN and tax number.

Ebjan posted:

Could somebody tell me how to make a normal photo look more gloomy or war torn?
For example

I can't see the second one but uh, good light and bad retouching. They comped in some clouds and desaturated things a little bit too.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Beat. posted:

depending on what your source is and what kind of printing you are doing, you could also use heavy solvents (acetone, xylene)... wear gloves and a respirator.

What are those solvent markers that have xylene or whatever in them? They used to be a hoarded commodity in my printmaking classes for doing transfers. I think they are banned, but you can still special order them from somewhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
It's screenprinted.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Can anyone point me to a book or website or howto or anything on salt casting?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Nione posted:

I've got a few questions about woodcut printing.

I want to make my own wedding invitations (maybe 40 invites total). My dad is a woodcarver and is going to carve, in relief, my wood block. I've got it designed and given it to him but I was doing some reading online yesterday and a website recommended a soft wood, like pine, or linoleum. Is this because it's easier for most people to carve in soft woods or does it make an actual difference in the printing process? He has wood all over his workshop and he usually just hunts around until he finds "the piece he wants" but if he needs something specific I need to be able to tell him that.

Secondly, paper. I know I want acid free, and since they're invitations I want to use cardstock. What I'd really like to use is metallic gold cardstock, does anyone have any idea what the ink will do on something like this? I'm familiar with calligraphy ink and know what kinds of paper it will bleed into but I've never done any printing at all so I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm specifically concerned that the ink won't "stick" to something metallic, is this crazy?

As for the ink, I figured what I need is something like Speedball water-soluble ink, does it work as well as the oil based? I got the impression that it's much thicker than the ink I am used to, in fact in the pictures it looked almost like acrylic paint. Is this the case or not? Can I just blend a bunch of colors together or do I need to add some sort of medium to it?

Also, when I roll the ink onto the block can I put multiple colors on it at once or do I need to print colors in layers? I want a dark brown trunk/branches with almost a batik look to the leaves in fall colors. Should I have him carve two sides of the block, one with branches and one for the leaves? What I don't want is a big muddy mess that looks like crap. Can I print once in dark brown, clean the ink off the wood, and then print again on top with my colors, only putting the ink on the parts I want to print?

Finally, for the actual text on the invitation I was going to have that printed by a local print shop in a single color. Can I do my woodcut printing first and then send those to the print shop or do I run the risk of ruining my printing by having them run it through their machinery (is the ink thick enough to flake off or something)? I know I'm going to make more mistakes than they are and I'd much rather have 40 invitations with my tree already on them and then send those to be printed than to try and guess how many mistakes I'm going to make ahead of time.

Thanks!

Woo printmaking.

Linoleum is super easy to carve, you can also heat it up in an oven a little bit and then it's like cutting butter.

I also like oil-based inks for woodcuts. Then you don't have to worry about it drying mid-printing.

Multiple colors... you can ink it all up at once or do one at a time but that would be kind of a pain in the rear end. What I would do is carve the whole block and then cut it up like puzzle pieces. Ink each piece separately, reassemble (you can make a guide to hold everything in place), and then just print it in one go. You can also make separate blocks for each color but then you have to worry about registration.

I would talk to your printer about the text, they should be able to do it. You will probably need to provide 2-5% overage since they will probably gently caress a few up getting it set up. You could also have a letterpress shop make you a plate with the text and print it yourself.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
For printing on cardboard I would do like 200 mesh, use water based acrylic ink which won't wash out (avoid "water soluble" which is not the same thing as water-based).

Basically exactly the same as printing on paper.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

SilverSoldat posted:

Does anybody know the name of this photograph and where I could possibly find a print of it?

I know it's by Erwin Olaf

If you look at the exhibition list on his website it tells you which galleries had the "Hope" series. You could also just try emailing him directly.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Screenprinting is a labor intensive process that is only done in bulk, no one is going to screen you that design with that many colors for one shirt. You could try finding a place with a direct-to-garment printer, that's about as good as it's going to get for a one-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
9' roll of seamless paper is $50, you can get it in chroma green. Try Calumet, all their seamless is on sale right now.