Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I knew it would happen sooner or later. Cat jumped onto my palette, then ran around room. Any advise for getting oil paint of a carpet without damaging the carpet or working the paint into it more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I started oil painting a few weeks back, and have been enjoying it immensely. I took a class, and then started doing it at home, and sometimes I can do it for hours at a time. But I still don't really know what I'm doing and lots of questions pop into my head, so I've mainly been learning as I go. Some things I can look up online or in books, but many things I'd rather ask of other experienced artists. I just discovered this sub forum, but I don't see any place for discussing painting of any kind specifically, which is surprising. Is there a thread I've overlooked, or should I go ahead and start one?

But keeping to this thread for now, a small question I have is what's the best way to store and transport paintings, especially if they've been worked on within the past couple of days and therefore still pretty wet? I've been using canvas boards and pads, and I've been laying them on top of books on my shelves when I'm not working on them (I have cats) and there's got to be something more reasonable. How would I best go about carrying a bunch of them for someone to see without smudging them, or mailing one?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Beat. posted:

I kind of wondered this myself because I mess around with watercolors a lot, but making a thread just for painting in general would be such a gargantuan task maybe someone just doesn't want to do it? It seems weird given all the other basic megathreads there are.

Ok, so there isn't one, I'm not blind. It'd only be a gargantuan task if you wanted to have an informative firstpost. Given my absolute inexperience, I couldn't provide anything more than "hai guys, let's talk about paint :awesome:" then ask all my silly questions. I'd feel bad since all the other megathreads seem to have really informative and resourceful firstposts from people with experience. But if no one else does, maybe I'll go ahead.

Zap, thanks for the offer, I'll PM you shortly.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

DrRimbaud posted:

I don't want to be the douche who bumps their own thread until somebody pays attention to it, but nobody read my story...

:smith:

(psst, hey, after your girlfriend thread the other day, and now complaining about your thread not getting responses, I'd suggest you lurk more before posting, and probably don't start any new threads for a good long time. Sometimes they don't work out. I'll read your story and bump your thread, but seriously, you're making a lot of small rookie mistakes. Spend more time lurking, and especially peruse the lepers colony and avoid the things you see in there)

Elijya fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 27, 2009

Elijya
May 11, 2005

DrRimbaud posted:

Eep, sorry. I moderate the Saddle Creek message boards and I guess I need to stop assuming etiquette and such are the same here as they are there. What's the Leper Colony? I don't understand the premise of a lot of the forums here.

ok, I don't want to derail this thread too much away from this forums purpose, so leave it at this

-At the top of the page are lots of links. You should check the SAclopedia anytime before you have a question.
-There is an "Ask/Tell" subforum you will find to be very helpful. In particular, a thread called "Ask us about the forums"
-The leper colony is a link towards the top of the page. It's a listing of all the users who have been banned and put on probation - usually a few dozen users a day. You can see the mods reason for the ban, and if you click on the punishment, you'll see the post that got them in trouble. Look through them to see what NOT to do.
-If you didn't already know, don't hotlink images. Host them on your own space, or upload them to waffleimages.com
-I've modded other places too, and no, they do not moderate the same way here. At all. I would really suggest spending a lot more time lurking before posting again.
-Under no circumstances post in BYOB or FYAD.

edit: tsk, walked away for a few in the middle of this. Oh well.

zap actionsdower! posted:

I'm going to make a painting thread for all your painting needs. It shoooouuuld go up tonight, but we'll see.

Thank you!

Elijya fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 27, 2009

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I have a 50% off of any one item coupon for Michael's art store, good for this week only. Are there any particularly expensive art supplies I should be looking at to use this on? I'm a painter, and I have a cheap easel I like, but maybe I could use another one. Is there anything else anyone can think of?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I don't really know the names of different art styles, but my next assignment is called something like formal expressionism, or abstract formalism, something like that. The examples the teacher showed me were mainly shapes and colors, but not crazy random patterns like a Jackson Pollack, you're supposed to plan it out before hand., and they looked to have more of a geometric structure to them. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I wanted to find more examples of it.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

plaguedoctor posted:

Things like Rothko?

::does a google search::

Not quite, far more complex. In any one picture there might be tons of curves and circles and triangles and squares, all different colors.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 10, 2009

Elijya
May 11, 2005

plaguedoctor posted:

I guess I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, unless you mean stuff like Mondrian's work from the 20s and 30s.

Do you have a time frame of when this movement was popular? I'm not very familiar with a lot of post-war art movements, so I don't really recognize the name you are giving. Unless you mean "abstract expressionism"? Though that encompasses a lot more than just geometric shapes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_Expressionism

In any case, Soviet Suprematism is where it's at, and I won't be convinced otherwise. :colbert:

I whipped up a quickie example in MSPaint, it was more like this

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I'm about to put some paint down on an oil painting. The paint's at least a week dry. Do I really need to use the special artist tape, or can I use regular masking tape?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

plaguedoctor posted:

Did you paint the original layer? If so, what was your mixture of linseed/thinner? If it was a thin layer, I'd say it would be okay, depending again on how much tape you are using/ how big a space it is.

If it's a thick, globby layer, then no.

It's really hard to tell unless you describe the situation more.

Sorry. Yes, I painted the original layer. A fair amount of turp went into it, so the paint is not thick at all.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Yeah, but I have no experience, so my judgement isn't very good ;) I'm sure the paint is dry enough - I already used artist tape on it over a week ago. I was more asking if masking tape is really that much different from artist tape. Thank you though.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

zap actionsdower! posted:

Yes, masking tape is generally a lot more tacky than artist tape. If you don't have any artist tape, painter's tape may work similarly. I don't do taping, so I'm not sure though.

Just FYI, the masking tape worked horribly. It didn't peel the paint underneath, but when I removed it, paint had gotten under the tape everywhere, so my edges weren't sharp and straight at all.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Ok, what methods do people use for getting their work online? I have a crappy digital camera and a basic 8x12 scanner, but there must surely be some better method. I know some artists will have their work professionally photographed, and when intending things for publication, there are extremely high resolution scanners, but these both can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. What method do most people around here use?

For both my own artwork and my art collection, I have many pieces which are 11x17 and well over. How should I go about getting digital copies of this stuff? Take them to a Kinkos or Staples and have them scan them in on their larger machines? I'm not looking to publish anything, I'm just curious what the basic method is that makes everyone's online work look good, but mine look like crap. The scanner has made things better, but is still limited.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

There are two image I've gotten from here on SA that I'd like to have on a black cotton tshirt. I don't really like silk screening, and airbrush has never impressed me. I would like to either have the shirt custom made like your typical store-bought tshirt (a quality job, not just a simple square cut silk screen), or possibly recreate the image myself. Can anyone suggest a good website which provides this service that they've used, or goons which might do it, or recommend the ideal material and method for creating it myself? (like a paint used for this purpose maybe?) Without being too expensive of course. One is the classic Captain Picard "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra Sept 1992" pic, and the other is this one of Carl Sagan, which I'd like to have some text added to.

Click here for the full 700x980 image.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

So I'm getting a lot of stuff framed right now. A few things I took to a professional framer, and then yesterday I went and picked up about a dozen frames to do myself. The frames I picked up are all floating frames, where the piece is just pressed between two pieces of glass with no mat. I mentioned this to the professional and he informed me that this was horrible, that a major purpose of mats is to keep the piece from touching the glass. He warned that basically ANYTHING kept in a floating frame would eventually be messed up in one way or another. I can understand that paintings or photographs would stick the glass, but he insisted even something pencil or ink would suffer.

Now, I have the receipt and can just go return all the frames (although I hate being that kind of customer) but I actually like the effect of the floating frames. Is there any way to make them work?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

killing_fields posted:

I'm trying to sell art. I've had good success so far, both on here and in real life. What are another couple sites aside from SA that I can sell canvas art on?

Is there a thread on how to sell art and custom pieces online?

Thanks. :)

It depends on your style of art, but there's always eBay. I purchase quite a lot of art there. You can also offer things for sale on a deviant art account. If by custom pieces you mean commissions, again eBay and deviant art are good, simple places to offer your services and provide samples of previous work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

kinkster posted:

This isn't a technical question but I guess it's fine to put here..

I've always been terrible at drawing. The only way I can make something resemble the object/picture/whatever I'm copying is to erase and re-do it time and time again.
I'd like to work at getting better to the point where I can draw little pictures of whatever.. but will it just be a waste time?
Basically, can someone who is naturally bad at drawing improve enough to be good?

Drawing is a skill that simply takes practice. You may not have the natural talent that others do, but it is possible to train yourself. In order to do that, try drawing constantly. Buy one or two books on drawing (not a dozen you'll never read). It depends what sort of drawing skill you're looking to develop, but I would actually recommend one of the kid friendly books, like one of the ones for superheroes. They teach a variety of simple techniques, and generally will have sections showing very very very basic anatomy, facial expressions, drawing objects like cars and buildings, shading and shadows, and perspective. If you spent an hour a night going through the basic exercises in a book like that, you'd see an improvement in just a week.